Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed multifunction LED lights in place of the oem reflectors. I chose to use them as DRL and Turn signal since I plan on getting a rear diffuser and that will house an additional brake light

The link for the Lights used are in the video description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,680 Posts
Rear fog lamps are required in Europe, but are technically not allowed in the US.

However, some European makes do include them in their US products, and I've never seen anyone get pulled over, receive a fine, or get otherwise reprimanded for having them.

So as long as they're not a nuisance to other drivers (brighter than your brake lights, poor aim, etc.), I wouldn't worry about them.

I haven't seen the vid yet, but I assume there's a way to use them as marker lights also?

Personally, I like them, and I've been looking to get them for myself as well...

Reactions: 93blkongreenpro

·
Registered
16' 6 GT, 05' Rx8 GT Turbocharged
66 Posts
I did this back in 2015 to the 3rd gen I owned at the time. Here is a video from 2016 where you can see them in my garage.
Nice mod IMO, increased how visible the rear of the car is at night and also looked nice. I actually am going to do this to my current 3rd gen in the next few days, I've just been lazy. This mod can be done without removing the rear bumper if you have a 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver like this one from HFT.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why DRL for the rear? You might wanna check your local and state laws to make sure they dont specify the height of turn signals. Also, they could consider them fog lights which are illegal in the US. Not sure why, but w/e.
Tell that to the designers at Kia. Not sure how they thought that was a good place to put turn signals.

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Tell that to the designers at Kia. Not sure how they thought that was a good place to put turn signals.

View attachment 244672
Yea, i was thinking of them when i said that, but it doesnt mean that a state wont have laws that find them illegal. Just pointing it out ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you post a link for the parts? I’ve been wanting to replace my reflectors with LEDS for a while but couldn’t find anything.
Link is in the video description, as are all parts used in my videos

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why DRL for the rear? You might wanna check your local and state laws to make sure they dont specify the height of turn signals. Also, they could consider them fog lights which are illegal in the US. Not sure why, but w/e.
Technically it’s not a DRL as they only come on when the tail lights are on. So wrong terminology on my part. And a LEO would have many more things to pull me over on besides the height of my turn signals since the factory ones are still in service. And they are no where as near as bright enough to be so considered a fog light.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Volvo has a functioning rear fog in the left lamp. I find it good practice to use it some early mornings here when visibility is severely reduced and traffic is not heavy, thus making me more visible to those at a good distance behind me. Of course, most of us have been behind that clueless M-B driver who looks like he's riding the brakes all the time regardless of the weather (oh, and he's - always a "he" - also wearing the requisite driving cap, scarf and leather gloves) who has both front and rear fogs on because I guess pressing all the buttons on the dash is fun.
Anyway, I found this at the NHTSA. Doubt many states have a sufficient majority of anal-retentive traffic-law stickler legislators to pass above-and-beyond laws specifically addressing the rare European-car rear fog light, so I figure most if not all Americans safely fall under the no-restriction blanket.

Herr Dr. Thomas Lckemeyer
ITT Automotive Europe
Bietigheim-Bissingen
Dept. VER/LB
FAX 07142/73-2895

Dear Dr. Lckemeyer:

This responds to your FAX of December 10, 1993, to Taylor Vinson of this Office. You have asked the following questions with respect to the permissibility of rear fog lamps on U.S. cars:

"Is the rear fog lamp in a combined rear lamp unit permissible in all the states of the U.S.? There is no statement in the FMVSS 108."

Paragraph S5.1.3. of Standard No. 108 prohibits the installation as original equipment of additional lamps such as rear fog lamps if the additional lamp "impairs the effectiveness of lighting equipment required by the standard." The determination of whether a rear fog lamp in a combined rear lamp unit impairs the effectiveness of other lighting equipment is initially that of the manufacturer of the vehicle on which the lamp is installed. Unless such a determination is clearly erroneous, this agency will not question it.

We do not know whether a rear fog lamp in a combined rear lamp unit is permissible in all the States. Because a fog lamp is not required motor vehicle equipment under Federal law, each State in which it is used may regulate it according to its own laws. We are unable to advise you on the laws of the individual States, and suggest that you ask the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) for an opinion. Its FAX number is 001 703 522 1553, and its address is 4600 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, Virginia 22203.

"Which photometric requirements do we have to fulfill for the rear fog lamp?"

There are no Federal requirements that apply to rear fog lamps, and, as noted above, we are not conversant with state requirements. For your information, the latest specification of the Society of Automotive Engineers for this item of equipment is SAE Recommended Practice J1319 AUG87 "Fog Tail Lamp (Rear Fog Light) Systems."

"Is the certification of the combined rear lamp unit binding upon the whole states of the U.S.?"

No. The certification of the vehicle manufacturer is its representation that the vehicle complies with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including paragraph S5.1.3 of Standard No. 108. A State has no authority to question this certification.

However, a State is permitted to have a State vehicle lighting standard provided that the State lighting standard is identical to the Federal lighting standard in those areas covered by the Federal lighting standard. Under these circumstances, a State may enforce the State lighting standard even if the vehicle is certified as conforming to the Federal lighting standard. Furthermore, a State may have its own State lighting standard in those areas where there is no Federal lighting standard, such as fog lamps.

"Do you have a list of lighting equipment for cars and the necessary requirements in the different states of the U.S."

AAMVA may be able to provide you with this information as we are unable to. Because State requirements must be identical with respect to the lighting equipment required by Standard No. 108, State specifications and prohibitions will differ only with respect to supplementary lighting equipment not covered by Standard No. 108 such as cornering lamps and front and rear fog lamps.

Sincerely,

John Womack Acting Chief Counsel

ref:108#VSA d:12/23/93

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
962 Posts
I have bought these reflector replacements lights a few months back to do a euro fog delete. In my case the lower reflector lights will be the fog lights so I can have two reverse lights instead of one reverse and one fog light. Thanks to @TalonTsi90 supplying wiring and connectors foc.

Too much work on atm to install this lot.

@93blkongreenpro Are these screwed in from the rear and it's a bumper off job? Also, did you wire both LED strips in. Mine have 3 wires and 2 different LED strips. Sorry, not watched the vid yet.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have bought these reflector replacements lights a few months back to do a euro fog delete. In my case the lower reflector lights will be the fog lights so I can have two reverse lights instead of one reverse and one fog light. Thanks to @TalonTsi90 supplying wiring and connectors foc.

Too much work on atm to install this lot.

@93blkongreenpro Are these screwed in from the rear and it's a bumper off job? Also, did you wire both LED strips in. Mine have 3 wires and 2 different LED strips. Sorry, not watched the vid yet.
Yes, I removed the bumper. It only take about 15 mins and avoids a bunch of unnecessary struggle. Mine has three wires. One ground. One lights up the single led row. The other the remaining larger bottom portion.

Reactions: Raymond

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
962 Posts
Yes, I removed the bumper. It only take about 15 mins and avoids a bunch of unnecessary struggle. Mine has three wires. One ground. One lights up the single led row. The other the remaining larger bottom portion.
Just watched your vid. Lights are the same as mine. I'll have a look at the bumper removal vid you posted as I've not had the rear bumper off yet.

Nice install video!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts