Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the rear bumper lens with clear ones? (See picture below. Don't mind the spoiler blue box, I am reusing this image for a question in the Electrical section). If you have, can you tell me where you bought it? I really want clear ones but I have no idea where to get them. Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
They aren't lenses, they are reflectors.

Not sure that anyone makes clear ones, or if it would be street legal. Have a feeling a clear reflector would somehow be in the category of having white lights that are viewable from behind (don't quote me, but it makes sense to me).

I have seen people make posts about using niteshades to smoke it and darken it up, but haven't heard anything about clearing it.

Anyone else with opinions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, reflectors, that was the word I was looking for. I must of had another mental lapse or something. I couldn't think of the word for the life of me.

Anyway, do you really think they would care about such a small insignificant part of the car as the rear reflector? They don't even do anything. They don't add visibility to the rear of my car. I mean, isn't that what the lights are for? If you can't see the big red lights, I don't think a reflector is going to help. I think I can get away with clear ones, don't you?:)

But there in lies the question, anybody know where I can buy some? I would like something similar to the Anzo Clear Side-Markers but for the rear. If there really is no where to get something like that, I guess I can try the Niteshades option and just blend it in with my Onyx Black car. Thanks for the suggestion DSimmon.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My thought is at night, a driver behind you, their headlights would hit the clear reflector and reflect white light back at the driver behind you.

And I believe they are there in case your car is broker down on the side of the road, on coming drivers would be able to see the reflector, and know there is an obstable on the road. Not sure what the legality is on the size of the reflectors that are required, or the colors, maybe that is a state by state thing. I know that's why we have the "bulge" in our taillights, for the reflector on the side of them. If you look at the Mazda 3 taillights, they are contoured to the body of the car, but have a small side reflector behind the tire that is in the bumper.

Anyway, that is my interpretation as to why they are there and red. If you happen to find anything legal in your research, let me know.

Just did a little digging around, and the Iowa law says this....

Every new motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer hereafter sold and every commercial vehicle hereafter operated on a highway shall also carry at the rear, either as a part of the rear lamp or separately, a red reflector meeting the requirements of this chapter.[/b]
Not sure what the requirements are, but it says red reflector.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
HAHA, I turned mine into brake lights. There was a thread about it over a year ago, but if you put lights behind it and then wire them into the brakes, they become the 6th and 7th brake light

·
Registered
823 Posts
HAHA, I turned mine into brake lights. There was a thread about it over a year ago, but if you put lights behind it and then wire them into the brakes, they become the 6th and 7th brake light
[/b]
I remember reading that post. Did you do the same as the poster and just use the 194 bulbs? Did it effect the ability of the reflector to reflect? I was thinking about slipping an LED bar in there, and not sure if it would fit, or cause no reflection to occur.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Reflection is fine. LED bar WILL NOT FIT (no way, no how)

and yes, I used 194's and some housings from an RV light (courtesy of AZMZ6)
[/b]

Do you have any pics of this mod? Sounds awesome.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are you sure on that?
Autolumination sells a 5 led bar that they say measures 3 inches by 1/2 inch. If I look at measurements correctly, a 194 bulb is close to a half an inch side to side (think it actually breaks down to 2/5ths, but the 6 LED 194 according to Autoluminations measurements is 1/2 inch wide). If the bulb will fit into the reflector and it's half an inch wide, why wouldn't a half inch bar fit in there? Now I'm not sure if it will fit the 3 inch length of the bar, haven't actually gone out and measured or tried to test fit anything, but that's my thoughts...

Don't get the images to display, but I think this is the link to make the rear bumper reflectors light up when using the brakes with 194 bulbs.

(sorry, the link wasn't too easy to find, so I thought if I put the terms I used to search in my post, it would make it easier to find later)

·
Registered
238 Posts
i just used vinyl sticker to cover the reflectors black to match the car.

·
Registered
823 Posts
So no reflection at all from them?

O, and those are some shiny wheels. Good pic with the sun to get the bling effect!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestion the_gray_mazda6. That is definitely an option as well.

Also, as I said in the wheels section, I know this is an anti-chrome environment but I love that look. I shall have it soon as well. Looking good, man. Just as a curiosity, why is your name the_gray_mazda6 if you have a black car?:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion the_gray_mazda6. That is definitely an option as well.

Also, as I said in the wheels section, I know this is an anti-chrome environment but I love that look. I shall have it soon as well. Looking good, man. Just as a curiosity, why is your name the_gray_mazda6 if you have a black car?:)
[/b]
the_gray was quoting suarezrh, who had an image of their black 6.

dabears, would like to see how yours turned out. Is it lite with a single incandescent 194 bulb then?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts