Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Mazda6 s Sport over the weekend. What a nice car. I mean, it's got the perfect balance of comfort, power, amenities, looks...everything. The V6 has smooth power delivery and sounds really nice when you get on it a bit, is quiet, and just a joy to drive. Quality of interior materials & fit/finish is excellent and it really is a good looking car all around.

Just hope it proves to be long-term reliable. I've never owned a Mazda before and I know some of their cars in the past had a questionable track record.

I got a really great deal on mine too. I worked several dealers over the phone, and got the best price I could.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
To date I have not had any troubles out of my 6i.
This is my first Mazda as well but the few people I know that own Mazdas have not had any real issues either.
Time will tell in the end but I think they are good cars.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I've put 67K miles on my 6S in 2.3 years, and have had only ONE issue. It was a fan control module problem and was fixed under warranty in about an hour.

I think they're plenty reliable, but I can't wait for the 3.5L engine in them.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
Welcome to the 6Club! :wavey: Whereabouts in NY are you from?

One suggestion: If you got the 17" OEM wheels and tires, I HIGHLY recommend getting winter wheels/tires, since the Michelins are not good at all in the snow (well, at least the deep lake-effect snow that I drive through all the time).

As for reliability, my '04 with V6 and MTX is very close to 35K miles, and the only issue I've had is a faulty gas cap that tripped the CEL, replaced under warranty. It's been more reliable than a co-workers '04 Accord, which has been in the shop repeatedly...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the 6Club! :wavey: Whereabouts in NY are you from?

One suggestion: If you got the 17" OEM wheels and tires, I HIGHLY recommend getting winter wheels/tires, since the Michelins are not good at all in the snow (well, at least the deep lake-effect snow that I drive through all the time).

As for reliability, my '04 with V6 and MTX is very close to 35K miles, and the only issue I've had is a faulty gas cap that tripped the CEL, replaced under warranty. It's been more reliable than a co-workers '04 Accord, which has been in the shop repeatedly...
[/b]
I'm from Dutchess County. I'm a transplant from Fairfield County, Connecticut. Moved here a little over a year ago after getting married.

I had a Sentra SpecV w/17s" and I had a set of 4 steel wheels w/snows. I was hoping I didn't have to do that with the M6, but now that you mention it...maybe I will.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome scip. I grew up in Westchester and live outside of Albany.

May I ask where you purchased? I'm eyeing an '06 6i at Ramsey Mazda and Westchester Mazda. I'm interested in your dealer experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome scip. I grew up in Westchester and live outside of Albany.

May I ask where you purchased? I'm eyeing an '06 6i at Ramsey Mazda and Westchester Mazda. I'm interested in your dealer experience.
[/b]
I called around to about 6 or so dealers in NY State and CT. I was still working in CT until recently, so I started with Colonial Mazda in Danbury, CT. They ended up giving me the best deal. It also helps that I have a friend who knows the owner of the dealership, and I called him when the time was right, dropped my friend's name, and he beat everyone else's deal.

As far as the dealer experience, I began my relationship with the salesman in late Mar or Apr. of this year. I wanted them to take my Sentra SpecV in trade, but they wouldn't give me bunk for it. So I waited until the model-year end clearance (now) and ended up selling my Sentra to Poughkeepsie Nissan in NY that loved the car and gave me a very good price for buying it outright. My salesman was a jerk, but I dealt mostly with the sales manager, who was much more personable and responsive.

Overall, I'd recommend Colonial Mazda in Danbury, because of the sales manager's attention & professional attitude he gave me. If you'd like his name, I'd be happy to give it to you and I'm sure he'd appreciate your business. They may still have some 06 models available that they are eager to get rid of to prepare for the 07s.

Just for fun, if you want to check out my old car (the Sentra) go to www.specvforsale.com

Steve

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine just had it's third anniversary with me. I bought it new in '03. 48K miles and still going strong. I've had a few issues throughout the warranty period, but overall it has been a good car. Enjoy! :seeya:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
replied to my own message by mistake :sarc:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I called around to about 6 or so dealers in NY State and CT. I was still working in CT until recently, so I started with Colonial Mazda in Danbury, CT. They ended up giving me the best deal. It also helps that I have a friend who knows the owner of the dealership, and I called him when the time was right, dropped my friend's name, and he beat everyone else's deal.

As far as the dealer experience, I began my relationship with the salesman in late Mar or Apr. of this year. I wanted them to take my Sentra SpecV in trade, but they wouldn't give me bunk for it. So I waited until the model-year end clearance (now) and ended up selling my Sentra to Poughkeepsie Nissan in NY that loved the car and gave me a very good price for buying it outright. My salesman was a jerk, but I dealt mostly with the sales manager, who was much more personable and responsive.

Overall, I'd recommend Colonial Mazda in Danbury, because of the sales manager's attention & professional attitude he gave me. If you'd like his name, I'd be happy to give it to you and I'm sure he'd appreciate your business. They may still have some 06 models available that they are eager to get rid of to prepare for the 07s.

Just for fun, if you want to check out my old car (the Sentra) go to www.specvforsale.com

Steve
[/b]
Thanks. Sounds like a good dealer but since I want an '06 6i with a BEIGE interior, there aren't many dealers left with them on the lot (including Danbury) - Ramsey and Westchester are the closest dealers to me with cars that match my criteria, so I thought I'd check to see if you bought there.

Small world - I bought my 1995 Pathfinder at Poughkeepsie Nissan.

·
Registered
177 Posts
welcome to the world of mazda 6's! im buying an rx-7 as my fun car, but hell, i dont now which will be more fun! my 6 or the 7. the 6 is so perfectly balanced and just a blast to drive. ive had mine since april and i still get a giddy dirving it. a car that continues to thrill me is a car worth having.

now, thats not to say that the 7 wont do that. but its a totally different animal; 2 seater, rotary power.. not better, just different.

anyway, enjoy your 6! she'll keep you smiling!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
welcome to the world of mazda 6's! im buying an rx-7 as my fun car, but hell, i dont now which will be more fun! my 6 or the 7. the 6 is so perfectly balanced and just a blast to drive. ive had mine since april and i still get a giddy dirving it. a car that continues to thrill me is a car worth having.

now, thats not to say that the 7 wont do that. but its a totally different animal; 2 seater, rotary power.. not better, just different.

anyway, enjoy your 6! she'll keep you smiling!
[/b]
A friend of mine has an rx-8. He got it on a 2-yr lease. Is turning it in in Oct. He liked it a lot, but can't keep it cuz he can't afford it anymore. Only thing is someone keyed the pass. side, and he has to get it fixed or they are going to whack him at lease turn-in.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A friend of mine has an rx-8. He got it on a 2-yr lease. Is turning it in in Oct. He liked it a lot, but can't keep it cuz he can't afford it anymore. Only thing is someone keyed the pass. side, and he has to get it fixed or they are going to whack him at lease turn-in.
[/b]

wow, thats stinks! i almost got an rx-8 instead of my 6. but the 6 is so damn fun to drive, and ALOT more practical. but a dream of mine since i was young was to own a rotary engine. the 7's are a whole different creature compared to the 8. the 8 is alot more refined and more mainstream. the 7's are more raw and beg to be driven hard. so i cant wait to get one, so i can stop beating up my 6 :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree, the Mazda 6 is a great car. I've had mine for 2 years and no major problems. There has been some rattles, and dealer service errors, but no other issues *knocks on wood

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my 6i new right when they started to hit the market. I remember the first commercial I saw for the 6 and thought to myself that it was the most gorgeous car I had ever seen. Sure Acura and VW had some sweet styles but the 6 nailed it. They say styling for the 6 is a love it or hate it deal and I fell in love with the style from the get go. As for reliability I'm going on 77k miles and the only thing I've had fixed under warranty is the doughnut gasket between the header and exhaust. The gas cap is starting to act up and tripped the check engine light but a closer look with a scantool showed that it's a very minor leak, thus the check engine light went a way on it's own after a few weeks. The engine seems as powerful now as when I first got it.

Mods:
Tints
Two amps
Two Twelve’s
and yes it still turns heads.

Wish list: Black Speed 6, drooool

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have had our '05 6i sport since the middle of June and I have absolutely zero complaints with this car. In fact is is hands down the nicest car I have ever owned, and with gas back close to $2 I can enjoy just cruising once again. I am convinced that the only reason Camcord owners buy their cars is because they never even checked out the 6. Idiots!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts