Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Now I am getting 20.3 mpg because of these short trips ( less than a mile each way) I have been doing. Only 662 miles in 2.5 months. Many say short trips are bad for the vehicle's engine but does it pertain to ours since our Skyactiv engine heats the engine very quickly ( reasoning for the high revving when you turn the car on). Another thing is I am in Florida and it's boiling here. I find it very inconvenient to take my car out on the highway once in a while when I have to get through so much traffic to get to one.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
With 65%/35% LA fwy/city drive time with constant heavy right foot, high rev 2nd-3rd-4rth gearing and take-offs. Frequent early dawn weekday-to-work fwy jaunts of 75-85mph speeds, never on cruise, engine brakes, etc..in other words, aggressive 6MT driving.

Still on Mazda factory fill moly syn oil, albeit on new PE0114302 oil filter. 4,163mi on the clock. 38F/38R tire pressure.

For the heck of it, I did a near 1/4 tank fill of 87 regular Costco gas this Fri afternoon after work. Ran a total of 161.6mi (4 days of 40mi/day commute) on 4.211gal = 38.4mpg overall.

This car is amazing. A true fun-to-drive miser on gas..and I'm not even trying hard to save on it. :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've gotten 40MPG on the highway before, my average on the highway is around 34MPG at 65mph.

·
Registered
616 Posts
29.1, all city - no highway
That's a great number for all city. How long are your trips? Why is it I have never been able to fill my tank to capacity? The most I have filled was around 14 gallons with an under 20 mile range remaining. The fuel tank is supposed to hold 16.4 gallons.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Trips are about 7-10 miles one way. I live in a smaller city where there are stretches of open single lane roads. Traffic lights galore though.

That's a great number for all city. How long are your trips? Why is it I have never been able to fill my tank to capacity? The most I have filled was around 14 gallons with an under 20 mile range remaining. The fuel tank is supposed to hold 16.4 gallons.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Avg. 32

·
Registered
151 Posts
28 mpg average, daily commute is 40 miles with 35 highway/5 city.

2200 miles, stock.

Lots of stopping and starting on that highway, btw.

·
Registered
43 Posts

There are still 2 gallons of gas left when the gauge hits 0 miles. I've gone 50 miles past zero once, but I heard it could be bad for the engine so I fill up by 0 now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
3000 kms on the engine and the last tank of gas I got 37 MPG. 90% Highway and 10% city.

I am egar to see how much better I can do as the engine breaks in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With 4600 miles on the clock I continue to average around 31.0 mpg with a 65-35 Hwy-Cty mix. Only have taken one long trip (600 mi+) and that was at 1000 miles. Averaged 39 mpg. Couple of shorter trips (100-150 mi) have averaged around 36.0.

Planning another Det-NYC trip in December but colder weather may factor in a bit by then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
30mpg on City only. average commute per day is 40miles and a lot of traffic lights. Mileage Keeps getting better everytime I feel her up :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
2014 Grand Touring - First tank Hand Calc 35.2, second tank 34.1 - 70/30 H/C Awesome numbers, exactly what I was hoping from this car. Prior car 2013 Subaru Impreza CVT, rated very similar, barely could beat 30mpg. Same commute driving style, only variable is the car. Now that engine is a little broken in, and I am more familiar with car, that is prob why 2nd tank dropped a bit. First tank was really babying it. Still very impressed for the size of the car.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Has anybody else noticed difficulty in achieving rated hwy MPG vs other cars? I thought it was the new EPA testing at first... and then we got our '13 MX5. Both other cars I own same drive same usage, if anything much more aggressive driving styles in the other two cars because that's what they're for!
Format - Car, Avg MPG on dailt commute, EPA hwy estimate.
2014 Mazda 6 - 34-36, 38 EPA
2001 Firebird (V8) - 26-28 (which I've stretched out to an easy 30-31 driving it like I drive the 6!) 24 EPA (winner!?, Seats 4, 400+BHP, balls out fun to drive :p)
2013 MX5 - 29-30, 28 EPA

I've raised this issue a few other places, most blow it off I know you guys won't ;). Factor in w/e you may about sitting idling more.. It's all out the window. Formula idles 5-10 minutes before every drive and still achieves those numbers across the tank. This is on the SAME EXACT DRIVE at the SAME TIME OF DAY (similiar traffic conditions) for all 3 cars.

161 - 180 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
203 Participants
dcoulombe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing