Mazda 6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 03 6I would get 30-35 and the 14 6GT is giving me 30-35 so no real difference for me lol. Cruise actually gives me better MPG so I try to utilize it more. I'm not in hilly country though. Mostly 85% highway. One month and I'm at 4500 miles. Yes I will be close to 50 K in one year.....:(

I can see this car taking it to 300K easily with good maintenance.

I haven't seen any other 14 6's on the road. Tons of Sonatas though lol. That rear is similar lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice! I haven't had a full highway experience for more than about 10 minutes but right after a fill up and getting on the highway I was seeing numbers in the 39 mpg range! but that quickly dropped down to 31 when I got into town :D

I beat my previous record of 31.4 mpg (set a few weeks ago lol) now my high on my last tank was 32.4 :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, you all are getting great mileage compared to me. I just filled up yesterday and did a quick (trip odometer / fill up gallons) to get 25.6 MPG. I was really close to 30 MPG until I hit two really bad days of highway traffic and it took an hour to go 11 miles. Two days in a row! I was furious. However, I'm happy my car's reading of "Average MPG" is pretty accurate as it had me at 26 MPG.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Manual calc showed 36.7

Keep in mind that my wife's daily work drive is 90% at constant 55-65 mph with cruise on, but happy to see the AVG figure nearing the EPA HWY figure :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just did a 1500 mile drive to North Carolina and back and averaged a speed of 67 mph. Got 32 mpg. 2009 4cyl.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just finished my 5th tank. 80 mile highway, 300 local cold start 5mile commute, average speed 35mph, 28.7mpg. Computer show 28.0mpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
^very similar to my driving habits and my mpg results

this past fill was 30.6 though with really watching my acceleration

too many hills in my area..i cant keep any momentum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Trip computer shows 32.5mpg on first tank without using cruise control. My calculation says 34mpg based on miles driven and gas filled. I drive 50 miles a day, 75% on highway at around 65mph. :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I guess I'll hop back in.. 1000 miles down, averaging 36.5 consistently (CPU and manually confirmed) over those first two tanks. just filled up for the second time 100 miles in so far and this one is hanging more happily around 38.. so we'll see.

Conditions, 10 miles up a mountain 10 miles down a mountain very steep and curvy no less. then about 5 miles city the rest is all interstate at 70-75mph. Coincidentally our CX7 gets better MPG at 75 than 70.. I thought it was the turbo just boosting enough to bring up the efficiency. However, I've noticed the same rings true on the new 6 *shrug* 64 is happiest, but 75 is better than 70...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2014 mazda 6 and have gotten 19mpg on my first two tanks. I drive 90-100% city with 15-17 mph avg speed. I drive less than 3 mi on most trips and live/work in a very hilly area. Is the severe drop in mpg normal for these conditions or should I bring it into the dealer?

·
Registered
331 Posts
avg 15-17 mph and 90% of that ? geez.
I think it's pretty ok mpg for those conditions. I think your car is fine
you better take it on the highway once in a while - once a week at least- and give it a long drive at 70-80 mph.

With the type of driving you're doing, the car will never reach proper operating temp to burn off residue/gunk etc. (danger of forming sludge, although this may be not the case with such modern engines)..

·
Registered
6 Posts
avg 15-17 mph and 90% of that ? geez.
I think it's pretty ok mpg for those conditions. I think your car is fine
you better take it on the highway once in a while - once a week at least- and give it a long drive at 70-80 mph.

With the type of driving you're doing, the car will never reach proper operating temp to burn off residue/gunk etc. (danger of forming sludge, although this may be not the case with such modern engines)..
I frequently drive at 30-50mph. It's lights and stop signs that lower my avg speed. So either the 4 cylinder really really doesn't like hills and someone who doesn't drive like a grandpa or something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I frequently drive at 30-50mph. It's lights and stop signs that lower my avg speed. So either the 4 cylinder really really doesn't like hills and someone who doesn't drive like a grandpa or something is wrong.
I dunno.. it might be worth getting checked out but it's iffy. On my drive up the mountain (Monteagle Mountain BTW) I see an average between 18-25 depending on throttle position. Add in all the stops and 19 doesn't sound far off, but crap I'm talking driving straight up the mountain at 50-65MPH non-stop! You do go downhill some, no? LOL. Admittedly the 6 does respond well to throttle and RPM, the MPG gauge does NOT lol. Worth noting.. my car got an engine light at 1200 miles because the dealer I bought it from did not upload a tune that was suppose to be done before sale. My MPG has gone up since that pretty noticeably. Worth looking into *shrug* even if the Mazda computer system says it was done have them check the program ON THE CAR. Mine was marked as done, but the latest version was not loaded.

Though if my route was under 50 miles I would've bought a full EV to begin with and just dealt with a soulless car for that short trip *shrug*

101 - 120 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
203 Participants
dcoulombe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing