Mazda 6 Forums banner
501 - 520 of 555 Posts
I am using 91 Octane in my MT 2016 Sport. I like the noticeable increase in responsiveness. I usually only use 911 octane on hot days, but now I'll be using 91 as long as it is cheaper than usual

I am going on a trip next week will let you know what i see when it's all highway. One thing I have noticed i that the first quarter of a tank goes alot slower than the last thee quarters. that just might be the gauge. I also have been doing alot of "spirted driving and stop and go in the city so can't get an accuarte gauge on mpg yet I think it's about 25mpg with the way i'm driving I'm getting close to 500 miles now had it two weeks
Many tanks are like this.....they are wider at the top and narrow the lower in the tank

I just bought a 2019 Grand Touring with 4100 miles on it. The last several tanks ive only been getting 14-15mpg. This is very odd and I don’t drive too fast. Also it should have a 16.4 gallon tank. When range goes to 0 and I fill up, the tank fills with only 13 gallons. Any idea what’s going on?

If you drive in the city with a moderate foot those numbers are accurate.
There is a buffer built into the range.
0 miles does not mean an empty tank.
You have a few gallons left to use before dry.

How are the current owner's doing, and what is your city/highway mix?

Gas mileage is one of the big selling points for me and I want to make sure it does as well as it says.
65,xxx miles on my 15 sport... according to the dashboard I've averaged 28.9 MPG, in all sorts of conditions
Mine likes highway speeds (don't they all?) set the cruise and I watch my range climb
Even at 80 MPH.... keep it steady....I fill the tank, and the range varies between 413-433 depending on how I had been driving (6 speed manual, give me a break... I'm gearing and steering)
Going across the state to my oldest daughter's house, my refill for the return trip shows 510-550 range

Best I've ever gotten after break-in on the 2.5T engine in my 2018 was a few weeks ago in January. 36.7MPG average over a 180 mile trip that was about 90/10 split highway/city driving. I could have done even better if I had tried to hypermile it. I was really only trying to consciously conserve gas the 2nd half of the drive. I'd guess I could have maybe hit 40 MPG if I had actually tried the entire trip. That was with 2 adults and 2 kids in the car (that includes me) and driving with 87-octane (10% ethanol), which I assume is probably a winter blended fuel for this time of year in Wisconsin, and running front defroster on occasion. My usual commute to work is 10/90 split highway/city and I get somewhere around 25-26 mpg average on a tank.
Nice car. I had a 2001 Millenia and the new Mazda 6 reminds me more of that car than the old 6. I looked at a Touring in Machine Gray and while I liked it, the turbo car accelerates effortlessly. Then I saw the lighter colored wheels on the GTR and thought that looked better when it came to machine gray. Of course the wheel and body color is all a matter of personal tastes and the upgrade to GTR is more money. Any thoughts after a year or so of ownership?

How are the current owner's doing, and what is your city/highway mix?

Gas mileage is one of the big selling points for me and I want to make sure it does as well as it says.
only 71,xxx miles on my '15 Mazda 6 sport with manual trans. but according to the dashboard 29 MPG, average with a 50/50 mix of highway and local.
RANGE will show as high as 525 miles when I'm easing down the interstate with cruise set @ 80 MPH

I just finished a 1,350 road trip with five fuel stops. 2016 Mazda6 Touring stick-shift manual, stock drivetrain, 225/50R18 Yokohama W drive snow tires, hit 47,000 miles during the trip.

As always, I began the trip by completely filling the car the night before we left. After a couple of tanks of around town driving, Range showed something like 460 Miles when full. Got 29.41mpg on that last tank.

Drove 1,357 miles using 36.4 gallons over dry, clear mountain highway roads, mostly 65mph. Overall average mileage was 37.54mpg (which I think is fantastic!). Normal average is 33mpg if I get some good highway trips, or 30mpg otherwise around town.

During the second fill, I noticed Range now said 580 Miles. After the last fill, Range said 608 Miles. Clearly, Range is somewhat based on how you drove for the last XXX miles!

A heavily-interstate highway trip earlier this year, cruising mostly 75-85mph, yielded 34.86mpg for 1,319 miles. (Yes, those speeds are legal here!)

76,xxx miles on my '15 MT sport.... according to the dashboard I've averaged 29.1 MPG after 7 years....I USED to do each tank, and compare MY average to the car's, and we were close enough to not warrant the effort
60% in town, 40% open road

501 - 520 of 555 Posts