Mazda 6 Forums banner

461 - 480 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
2015 S sport with manual gears...50,xxx on the car 80% intown in traffic commuting/ groceries etc AVG 29.3 MPH...that ain't bad, I get 36 +/- when I visit my daughter outside Charlotte...I could eek out more, but I hate the drive, so I try to do it as quickly as I can (80-90 MPH shhhhh don't tell the cops)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got 53K on my 2014 Touring now. The cumulative fuel mileage (since new) is 37 MPG. I'm driving a lot of non highway miles now so the cumulative fuel mileage has dropped 0.7 MPG over the last 12 months.

0-64K miles: Avg MPG 36.3 Avg MPH: 51 <------- Mostly highway miles

At 66K miles I reset the computer and now the Avg MPG is 31.8 Avg MPH 31 <------- Mostly street driving

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
602 Posts
The best I’ve ever gotten was 496, I do 75% highway 25% city

·
Registered
33 Posts
I rented a 2018 6 for the past week to go on a big 2200 mile loop (PHL>STL>MEM>PHL). Nearly all was interstate driving...I try to cruise at ~80mph if I can. I got 35.1 mpg on the MEM>PHL leg...1001 miles @ 71.5mph avg. Entire trip was 34.5mpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just returned from an Ohio to southern Florida vacation. We averaged 31.3mpg with 4 adults and a trunk crammed full of luggage, coolers and beach stuff. Most of the drive we were running 75-80mph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Went to Ridgecrest, CA from Orange Co. half freeway, half one-lane hwy with stops on my 2016 Sport MTX.. Travelling 55-80 mph. Got a 33.5 mpg. I used 91 Octane for that trip, it was hot up there-- 101 Deg. I find that the cars runs better on 91 on hot days. I find it interesting that going up hill under load in 6th gear, 70 mph or so, even when the engine doesn't feel like is bogging down, the shilfting light instructs me to downshift to 5th gear. It has happened also during trips to Las Vegas from SoCal under similar conditions,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Best yet manage to get 40.9 MPG for 10 city/90 highway doing mostly 65mph, 14 GT night driving for work but average about 36-40 when i drive or 34-36 when my wife drive it locally for her work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
2003 Mazda 6i update:
New best is 31.7 mostly highway from Milwaukee to Hannibal MO; about 20 miles of parking lot style heavy traffic backups (thank you IL tollway).
Have been averaging 28-30 for my daily commute for the last couple of months.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
BTW one thing to consider, which just became "very real" for me.

The last week I've had my truck ('02 Suburban) in my garage taking up 2 of the 3 spaces; GM's cheap garbage material for hard brake lines resulted in a failure and no-notice loss of brakes. Fortunately that didn't lead to a crash, but the replacement job was BIATCH as you have to partially lift the body off the frame to get to part of the run to the rear.

Anyway, that meant my "6" got to live outdoors in the daytime. And THAT, in turn, meant that the A/C load went WAY up when driven. Which, in turn, made a MAJOR difference in the last tank's fuel burn.

Just something to think about.... A/C is usually thought of as "no big deal" and usually it isn't, even in very hot conditions -- provided it doesn't have to cool down all the interior parts of a car that have gone well over 100F sitting out in the sun very often. If you park outdoors during the daytime hours, however, in the summer on a regular basis -- well, don't be surprised if it hits your average MPG quite severely, because at least on this car it does.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
That boggles the mind!
Yep.

GM used what is quite-clearly substandard material in these vehicles too. One single run of said hard-pipe, both ends exposed to the elements (right above the differential to the wheel cylinder) with the end at the wheel (where the worst of exposure is) was perfectly clean and fine, the end above the differential 2' away was wasted and at risk of failure. The actual point that failed was on the front right under the fan shroud -- not visible to casual inspection. It's joyful when you hit the brake pedal and, without warning, it goes all the way to the floor and you have almost NOTHING! Fortunately I didn't hit anything and was close enough to home with back, low-speed and vacant roads available that I could nurse it back to the house with the very little braking power remaining (it wasn't QUITE zero, but pretty close!)

NHTSA apparently has a large number of reports on this and has NOT ordered a recall. This is FAR more dangerous than the "ignition switch" controversy that nearly bankrupted GM in that this doesn't keep you from "going", it prevents you from stopping and, what's much worse, you can't inspect the full run of these lines as a significant part of them are run where they're not accessible at all without either dropping the fuel tank or partially separating the frame from the body. GM is *currently* using coated lines; I looked under a couple of newer trucks. I have no idea when they made the change but ALL of these older vehicles are at risk. I live in a place where there is no salt on the roads and the undercarriage of the vehicle has no material corrosion on it at all, so "ordinary wear" is not an excuse here.

Anyway, the point being that the heat soak problem and what it does to your car's fuel economy in the summer is very real; I usually fill on Friday whether I need it or not, since T-Mobile gives me 10 cents off per gallon on one fill per week, and it expires Friday night. This week's fill returned *materially* lower mileage and the only difference of materiality is that the car was parked outside during this week since the truck was consuming my garage space sitting on jackstands while I waited for the parts and then installed them. It's now back outside where it usually lives, and the car is back where it usually is too..... and I bet its fuel burn goes back to normal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2016 6 GT with the 19s approaching 60K miles. I get ~31MPG with a 50/50 split. Best I’ve gotten was on a 4 hour road trip with cruise set to 62MPH, about 39MPG for that trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2018 6 Signature 2.5T. For the first 3 months, 5,500 miles, 19 fill-ups, on 87 octane I am at 32.6 mpg hand calculated. Best tank 35.9 mpg and worst tank 30.7 mpg. I used to do 90-95% highway driving. I am in between jobs so my current tank is 95% city driving and is at 26.? mpg. I can't remember the exact number because I'm not driving as much.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
602 Posts
I used to get around 30 mpg with 70% city driving and 30% highway, but recently I've been getting 26-27 due to a heavier foot and my exhaust... hope to get back to the 30's again soon lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just finished a trip of about 600 miles with 90% on the highway. When traffic was not an obstacle the lady driving did 80 - 90 with an average of about 27 mpg. It says two things to me, the car ('18 signature) inspired confidence, and the mileage was in line for the type of driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For my 2018 Mazda 6 average shows 34mpg. With about 70/30 highway/city driving. I do try to drive it smooth, and on adoptive cruise whenever possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
after reading some comments i feel like I'm doing something wrong driving lol. i have a 2018 GTR with 2.5t and i feel lucky to get 27+ on a tank. my trip B is sitting at 26.6 mpg with about 7k miles. I use 93 octane and drive probably 65-70% highway

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to edit my post. I get 30 mpg not 34. I can get to 34-35 with very careful driving country roads at speeds below 65. But it's more like exercise in saving gas, not fun.

But 30 I get easily with about 70/30 highway/city driving. Cheapest 87 gas. 80mph on highway. I do try to drive it smooth, and on adoptive cruise whenever possible.

I think smooth/slow acceleration + adoptive cruise (which does the same) is the key. I did buy Mazda to save gas on long commute, so drive accordingly. I have sports car for fun, and I drive that very differently, getting 16-18mpg :)))

·
Registered
286 Posts
after reading some comments i feel like I'm doing something wrong driving lol. i have a 2018 GTR with 2.5t and i feel lucky to get 27+ on a tank. my trip B is sitting at 26.6 mpg with about 7k miles. I use 93 octane and drive probably 65-70% highway
Your numbers seems right to me. Have a look at my signature for my fuelly profile. 24.6 MPG over ~5700 miles, but with 65% city driving (lots of construction sites and traffic, so lots of idling). I have a Canadian GT, which is equivalent to your GTR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

461 - 480 of 492 Posts