Mazda 6 Forums banner

441 - 460 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well, I looked it up and you guys are correct...16.4 gallons fuel tank capacity.

I honestly don't think I have ever put more than 12-13 gals in this car. (My wife grew up in northern WI, where a full tank of fuel on a -40 below night in the middle of nowhere can mean the difference between life and death. She freaks out if my gas gauge gets below 1/4 tank - literally.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Per Fuelly: over 62 tanks, my largest fill-up was 13.9 gallons. The 2nd largest fill-up was 13.4 gallons. My average fill up is ~13.0 gallons and lifetime average MPG is 29.7

I normally I fill up with ~50 miles of range remaining. I have taken the range indicator to single digits maybe 5 times.

If the car truly has 16.4 gal capacity, then:

1. the dozens of gas pumps I've visited in the last 18 months have all under-filled the tank by a similar amount

or

2. when the range indicator hits zero, there is actually still 2-3 gallons in reserve

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
The latter; there is well over a gallon remaining when the gauge says zero miles remaining. Remember that USABLE capacity and ACTUAL capacity are two different things (go up a nice incline and you might discover that the hard way!)

Zero isn't really zero on any modern vehicle. Now my Suburban with the screwed sender is another matter. It's actually OUT when it reads 1/4, which if you run it down there you'll discover the hard way. I'd fix it but doing so requires dropping the tank as there is NO access hatch.

I've intended to run out on purpose several times (with a full 5 gallon lawn mower tank in the back!) but have yet to do it; it's one of those things that requires you have a fair bit of time to actually accomplish, plus you're driving around with a can of reserve in the back seat.... I'd like to just to know exactly how far I can go when the range says zero, plus it will tell me exactly what real capacity is since I know what's in the jerry can and an immediate fill after that will tell you exactly what capacity is too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I put my 6 away for the winter and now am driving a 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7L AWD. My average mileage has plummeted to, if I'm lucky, 15mpg mixed. It's worse in the city and not much better on the highway, lol. It is very dependable and can pull 7000lbs with 7 seats inside. Brutal on gas though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
...when the range indicator hits zero, there is actually still 2-3 gallons in reserve

Through poor planning and bad time management, I ended up field tested my low fuel warning system today. The fuel warning light was on, the gauge indicated 7 miles of range remaining, and there was one bar left on the fuel tank display. (Oh, and my wife was pissed.) I ended up pumping in an indicated 14.1 gallons.

So, I think you're correct Steve about there being 2 or so gallons still in there when everything is reading zero. Two gallons worth of "fudge factor," sounds about right?:wink2:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Recently had a work related road trip that had me go 250mi. 95% at interstate speeds (70MPH). Filled up before I left and when I returned. Trip computer showed an impressive 38.4MPG. Receipt math came back with 36.9MPG. So the DIS is optimistic, but all the same still impressive mileage for an automatic.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Recently had a work related road trip...Trip computer showed an impressive 38.4MPG. Receipt math came back with 36.9MPG. So the DIS is optimistic...

Yes. Most of them are...some are very optimistic. (Mazda's is one of the more accurate ones I've run across.) Most manufacturers design them to be optimistic, since most customers never bother to do the math. If your car says it's getting 38 mpg (when its really only getting 35 mpg) and you never check...you're a happy consumer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
On my Mazda, I've seen up to +2mpg variation between the OBC and the calculated method.

On my 2004 BMW, the variation was much smaller, no more than +1mpg.

On my 1997 Acura - for several years I thought the fuel light was broken. I could run the needle down almost to E without seeing the fuel light come on. It turns out, the fuel light was not designed to turn on until you were right on E. Then, you still had 1-2 gallons reserve. Tricky!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Intrigued by the reserve in the tank, omw home from work today, (65 miles highway commute) my range showed 37 miles, so I rode it out. When it hit "0", I reset the trip and gas milage.

That was the longest 20 miles I've ever drove. I would have felt comfortable going 30+ if I had a gas can in the trunk.

It took 14.8 gal to fill up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best milage so far was about 550 Miles (900 km) full tank (highway) last summer during long trip. About 450 miles (combine city/highway) most of the time.

B

·
0 Posts
Hey! I just bought a 16 GT with 47,000 miles last month. Since then, I feel I have been babying it, and I have averaged about 29.7. While WAY better than my previous car, I was hoping for a little better. The car is in great shape, and still smells new inside. After the initial 3hr interstate ride home, I have had a mix of city/hwy driving, and my commute to work is about 12 miles of two lane stop and go 60mph stuff.

I have been reading here that there isn't too much to improve MPG. Would a fuel system cleaner be a good idea(or even hurt)? I also read that no air filter from the aftermarket division is worth the $$.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey! I just bought a 16 GT with 47,000 miles last month. Since then, I feel I have been babying it, and I have averaged about 29.7. While WAY better than my previous car, I was hoping for a little better. The car is in great shape, and still smells new inside. After the initial 3hr interstate ride home, I have had a mix of city/hwy driving, and my commute to work is about 12 miles of two lane stop and go 60mph stuff.

I have been reading here that there isn't too much to improve MPG. Would a fuel system cleaner be a good idea(or even hurt)? I also read that no air filter from the aftermarket division is worth the $$.
Do a manual mpg calculation. The car is slightly off, at times.

And redline is my go to fuel system cleaner.

B

·
0 Posts
Intrigued by the reserve in the tank, omw home from work today, (65 miles highway commute) my range showed 37 miles, so I rode it out. When it hit "0", I reset the trip and gas milage.

That was the longest 20 miles I've ever drove. I would have felt comfortable going 30+ if I had a gas can in the trunk.

It took 14.8 gal to fill up.

good to know that there is a good solid 20mi + on the tank after it says 0! I had my last car(2003 Intrepid) for 12 years, and I knew I had lots of time after it said 0, but I wasn't sure on this one yet. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm at about 1400 miles on my '18 6GTR. That means it's got the turbo engine. Mileage has been around 26 so far based on calculations at the pump. But the OSD has been very close throughout, pretty much within 1-2% of the actual mileage. I'm getting the anticipated EPA mileage, generally speaking. But I'm a little disappointed in that I thought and hoped I could beat that by a little. On the freeway, I can. A 30 mile drive today, mostly at about 65-70 mph, got me just under 35 mpg according to the Fuel Economy screen on the infotainment display. I hope that's accurate. City driving in heavy traffic gets me below 20 mpg, though, sometimes as low as 15 or 16, according to the Fuel Economy screen. Ack. But when the traffic is flowing, I get closer to the EPA rated 23 mpg. Still, that 23 mpg number strikes me as being overly optimistic when taking in all conditions.

Strange that this car supposedly has a 16.4 gallon tank. Last time I filled it, the OSD told me the remaining range was close to 0 and the car only took 13 gallons. Does that mean that I had 3.4 gallons of gas still left in the tank and Mazda calibrates it this way so that we are less likely to run out of gas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
16 touring 6MT and I’m getting 28.5 city (small city, not a lot of gridlock or stop and go) on regular (87) winter gas. I’m totally stoked on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
On mixed 50/50 city/highway I get low 30s

I have trained my foot to hold lightly during freeway runs based on the mpg/guage and have gotten 40+

With sport mode and mashing I'm at 28.5 lol

But it's finds exactly the right amount of power when I need it

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a trip in late Sept from NC to Quebec City and back, I averaged a little over 39 MPG for the whole thing, including some driving during the week I was there. Drove 70 when speed limit allowed, A/C on going, and heat on returning.2 people and luggage in the car. This car gets higher highway MPG than my 2011 Mazda 2 did. This was calculated manually, but OBC was almost the same(within .5 MPG).

215 fill ups 33.9 MPG on Fuelly 2014 Sport manual

441 - 460 of 502 Posts