Mazda 6 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
My trip computer is within 1mpg of accurate, which is good enough for me. I hand calculate and log all of mine in Fuelly for complete accuracy. I've had it sometime undershoot the real mpg, but typically it overshoots the mpg by +0.5mpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get about 32/32mpg around town.

I however took a trip from Tulsa, OK to Dallas, TX and averaged 41.2mpg on 100% highway cruising between 65 to 70mph.

Pretty impressive! :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I average 32mpg now. 25hwy/75city

·
Registered
382 Posts
How accurate is the little fuel average gauge in the cluster? My MPG is less impressive according to that (On my second tank and only averaging 27.2 by the car's computer, will do the manual math when I refill)
I've found it to be pretty accurate, especially after a fill up or two.

Again, lack luster MPG (i.e. essentially getting the city driving) is likely more about your driving habits. It takes serious highway time to get the mileage up.

Still better than the 17-18MPG the first gen M6 V6 got me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought my 2014 Touring (had 45 miles on it when I got it) and the following day I drove it from Harrisburg Pa to Asheville, NC and back. I averaged 34mpg over 1200+ miles (mostly i81 but there are a bunch of mountains down south)! I was pretty siked considering I came from a V8 that barely averaged 20mpg.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
So earlier, I filled up only 0.886gal for a 40.9mi odometer reading to work and back (from Thurs pm fill to today's Fri pm fill, same Costco station)..that equates to 46.16mpg, on manual compute. This again is from my usual driving habits. Spirited driving on city, 1st-2nd gears. Aggressive fwy 3rd-5th gears with 75-85mph early mornings, 65-75mph at end of days. Occasional but mild and very short engine brakes and coasting. 65% fwy/35% city.

This was on 172mi old Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 with Liqui Moly MoS2 and always on Costco 87. 38F/38R psi. 3min warm up idling at each start ups (before going to work AM and before going home PM). Current mileage, 5,406mi on the clock.
Right after my gas tank recall done on 6/11 Wed, I filled the tank to full from a Costco Gas a few blocks away from the Puente Hills Mazda dealership.

I did my usual 2 day work drive habits until tonight Fri, I decided again to pull over to the Costco station nearest to home for another fill to full tank (I feel the car handles better with heavier "full tanked" rear, for better weight distribution..a habit of mine).

At 93mi exactly/ 2.021gal = 46.01mpg manual computation. Costco 87, 41F/41R psi cold tires. This time, limited warm up idling at start ups (AM & PM). Dealer Castrol 0W20 + >1/2 bottle Lubro Moly MoS2 (809mi old). Current mileage is 10,974mi.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lol and then there is me who gets 23mpg (only because of driving in a hurry). Normal driving I get 28mpg, and I've only filled the tank 3 times. All of it is the lowest gas at chevron.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
22 city, AT. 34-37 typical highway driving, highest highway was 40mpg at 65mph from pa to ny.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I just clocked a full tank at 38.7mpg (fuelly); the MFI said 38.4. Pretty damn close. Average speed was 63mph, cruise locked on the freeway for the entire tank.

Now here's the interesting thing -- that was the second fill on a straight-through drive. The first one returned a full 3mpg LOWER. And the terrain and weather conditions were not materially different either.

I've seen this before -- with diesel. And it's inconsistent. It was present for several months, then disappeared on a subsequent trip.

My theory is that there are quite-material differences in BTUs in the fuel in certain areas. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it before, but this is the SECOND time I've run into it with two different vehicles and with both gasoline and diesel. If it was ALL the time on a given run I'd say it's the road conditions and/or elevation change in that particular drive, etc -- but it's NOT. I have also had runs on this very same drive that DON'T exhibit it.

When it happened with the Jetta it was enough for me to start looking for something being wrong with the car -- dragging brakes, a problem with an injector or similar. A 10% delta over a short period of time (down) in fuel economy typically indicates something fairly serious is going on. My search for cause was fruitless, then I took the road trip and mid-trip the dump in economy disappeared when I refueled in a different state.

The same thing just happened again with my "6".

There's a real issue here for someone to dig into -- a close to 10% difference in energy content is utterly monstrous and cannot be accounted for due to "seasonal" variations in fuel either, as the difference is literally back-to-back fills on the same day across the same trip. The only difference is WHERE you filled.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just clocked a full tank at 38.7mpg (fuelly); the MFI said 38.4. Pretty damn close. Average speed was 63mph, cruise locked on the freeway for the entire tank.

Now here's the interesting thing -- that was the second fill on a straight-through drive. The first one returned a full 3mpg LOWER. And the terrain and weather conditions were not materially different either.

I've seen this before -- with diesel. And it's inconsistent. It was present for several months, then disappeared on a subsequent trip.

My theory is that there are quite-material differences in BTUs in the fuel in certain areas. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it before, but this is the SECOND time I've run into it with two different vehicles and with both gasoline and diesel. If it was ALL the time on a given run I'd say it's the road conditions and/or elevation change in that particular drive, etc -- but it's NOT. I have also had runs on this very same drive that DON'T exhibit it.

When it happened with the Jetta it was enough for me to start looking for something being wrong with the car -- dragging brakes, a problem with an injector or similar. A 10% delta over a short period of time (down) in fuel economy typically indicates something fairly serious is going on. My search for cause was fruitless, then I took the road trip and mid-trip the dump in economy disappeared when I refueled in a different state.

The same thing just happened again with my "6".

There's a real issue here for someone to dig into -- a close to 10% difference in energy content is utterly monstrous and cannot be accounted for due to "seasonal" variations in fuel either, as the difference is literally back-to-back fills on the same day across the same trip. The only difference is WHERE you filled.
Were other factors the same? Headlights on or off? Wind speed or direction any different(this alone can make a 10% difference)? AC or defroster on(also about a 10% difference)?

I recently took a 450 mile trip and got 42mph one way and about 35 going back for an average of 37.5 on the same tank of gas. On the way back I was fighting a head wind and had to have the AC on more.

I'm saving $70. a month on my gas bill though, so I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
No chance on the different conditions -- headlights were mixed in both segments, but two 55W headlights is 110W; 760 watts is ONE horsepower, so that's not it.

AC could account for a good part of it... but it was on the entire trip, no defroster, temps within 10 degrees F through the entire trip, conditions pleasant (no extreme weather), winds light and variable throughout.

And like I said, this is the second time I've noted a hard break on fuel consumption and now it's across two different vehicles and fuels -- both times the lower fuel content was on fills in NW Florida, and the jump came in both instances on fills in the middle belt of the country. Worse, the poorer economy came back when I returned to NW Florida on the VERY NEXT TANK, driving in the same place. And then a month or so later, it disappeared.

Here's the other interesting thing - there was a hard break (down) after I bought the car. I chalked it up to my spirited driving. Well, maybe not..... all the fills were in NW Florida until this trip -- now, suddenly, I'm plus close to 10% in identical driving conditions.

Something funny is going on here...

·
Registered
742 Posts
My average now is mid 30 ' s and that's mostly city driving...saving 1k a year in gas compared to my truck.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just came back from a short trip. 60/40 freeway/city. My freeway part was around 160 miles out of 280 Mi. I was cruising around 70-75mph. Not too much idling for the city parts.

I got around 29.7 MPG. Using cruise control, even on slight grade changes (not even hills), I could see the 4 banger dropping to 18-20MPG when it was going up a hill and sticking around 38-42MPG when even or slight drops. I probably could have done a lot better going 65MPH or so. A/C use was pretty heavy, since it's florida.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm always stuck at 22.5mpg. Mostly driving inside los angelos. long freeway trips 26/27mpg
Maybe if you stopped driving +100mph on the freeways you could get over 30mpg. :lol:

I have a lead foot too though. I was getting 23mpg originally with nothing but a 7 mile each way daily commute.

My driving has become a little more mixed and I'm driving even harder now and I'm getting 25-26 mpg.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Maybe if you stopped driving +100mph on the freeways you could get over 30mpg. :lol:

I have a lead foot too though. I was getting 23mpg originally with nothing but a 7 mile each way daily commute.

My driving has become a little more mixed and I'm driving even harder now and I'm getting 25-26 mpg.
It's not 100mph per se. It's the continuous bursts anywhere from 70 to 90mph to fly around steady, monotonous traffic:mellow: on the freeway. With a car like that, and to drive a steady 70-75mph? There is CamCord and Buick for that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The first 470 miles of my car, I have about a 50/50 mix and my first average was 30 mpg. I will keep you posted on the next fill up.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Maybe the best answer to this thread is a link to a query of 2014 Mazda 6 on Fuelly...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It's not 100mph per se. It's the continuous bursts anywhere from 70 to 90mph to fly around steady, monotonous traffic:mellow: on the freeway. With a car like that, and to drive a steady 70-75mph? There is CamCord and Buick for that.
You drive more like me than I prefer to admit...

241 - 260 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
203 Participants
dcoulombe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing