Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the current owner's doing, and what is your city/highway mix?

Gas mileage is one of the big selling points for me and I want to make sure it does as well as it says.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speed is a big factor in determining MPG.. Following is coming from Mazda 3's test drive experience.

"It turns out that the SKYACTIV Mazda3 is especially sensitive to driving style. Driving with a very light foot, shifting short of 2,000 rpm, and paying extreme attention to impending red lights (so as to get off the gas as soon as possible), I managed a high of 41.0 mpg on my standard drive from home to the kids’ school (with a trip computer reset after the engine had warmed up). Now this is more like it!. Speed is a big factor. First, air resistance rises at the cube of velocity. Second, engine speed increases in lock step with vehicle speed, and at a certain rpm efficiency begins to fall off dramatically. Driving at a steady 78 mpg, the trip computer reported 30.6 (again close to my nearly decade-old Protege5). Drop ten mph, and the number ticked up to 31.3. Drop down to 62, and it took a larger jump, to 33.6. Perhaps at the double nickel the promised 37 would materialize—but I just can’t drive 55! The implication is clear – the EPA highway figure is only going to happen at speeds much lower than most of us drive."

Source: Mazda3 SKYACTIV: The Truth Behind The EPA Fuel Economy Numbers | The Truth About Cars

But again, I guess this is going to be the case with every car.. Not just Mazdas with Skyactiv Technology.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Using fueleconomy.gov also would be good, as they have better definition between different engines, transmissions, et al of the same model year. No neat sig yet though. The more data the better!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Using fueleconomy.gov also would be good, as they have better definition between different engines, transmissions, et al of the same model year. No neat sig yet though. The more data the better!
I used to use that site, but there are a lot more people using Fuelly and the website is gives you much more information about your fuel spending, etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Speed is a big factor in determining MPG.. Following is coming from Mazda 3's test drive experience.

"It turns out that the SKYACTIV Mazda3 is especially sensitive to driving style. Driving with a very light foot, shifting short of 2,000 rpm, and paying extreme attention to impending red lights (so as to get off the gas as soon as possible), I managed a high of 41.0 mpg on my standard drive from home to the kids’ school (with a trip computer reset after the engine had warmed up). Now this is more like it!. Speed is a big factor. First, air resistance rises at the cube of velocity. Second, engine speed increases in lock step with vehicle speed, and at a certain rpm efficiency begins to fall off dramatically. Driving at a steady 78 mpg, the trip computer reported 30.6 (again close to my nearly decade-old Protege5). Drop ten mph, and the number ticked up to 31.3. Drop down to 62, and it took a larger jump, to 33.6. Perhaps at the double nickel the promised 37 would materialize—but I just can’t drive 55! The implication is clear – the EPA highway figure is only going to happen at speeds much lower than most of us drive."

Source: Mazda3 SKYACTIV: The Truth Behind The EPA Fuel Economy Numbers | The Truth About Cars

But again, I guess this is going to be the case with every car.. Not just Mazdas with Skyactiv Technology.

Car and Driver found much better results in their Fun at 40 article. Shows the Skyactiv 3 achieving 40 mpg at up to a constant 76 mph, and even more at slightly lower speeds. I get the feeling the new 6 will likely have higher variance between steady speeds and multiple acceleration events at speed versus the old 6, but that is due to the larger gear spacing and how efficient they have made this engine/transmission combo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can trust the current mileage reported by the car, I'm seeing between 37.8 and 40.8 mpg on the highway, and averaging about 33 mpg in a blend of hwy and city driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After 700 miles, i'm still getting 28 mpg in the city on my 2014.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've gone something like 300 miles and the tank is not even half way empty (maybe 55% now). granted, most of the 300 miles was on the freeway, but its impressive none-the-less. might be able to pull 700 miles of all freeway travel on a single tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am going on a trip next week will let you know what i see when it's all highway. One thing I have noticed i that the first quarter of a tank goes alot slower than the last thee quarters. that just might be the gauge. I also have been doing alot of "spirted driving and stop and go in the city so can't get an accuarte gauge on mpg yet I think it's about 25mpg with the way i'm driving I'm getting close to 500 miles now had it two weeks

·
Registered
39 Posts
First fill up I calculated 26.7 mpg which was .2 lower than the onboard info. Dealer filled tank up with who knows what grade gas. I filled up with 270 miles on the teip, most of which where in town driving. I filled up with 91 octane. I will see if I get any better or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where are the highway drivers? I want to see huge improvements from my 05 v6 25MPG I am currently getting driving about 95% highway.

·
Registered
924 Posts
First fill up I calculated 26.7 mpg which was .2 lower than the onboard info. Dealer filled tank up with who knows what grade gas. I filled up with 270 miles on the teip, most of which where in town driving. I filled up with 91 octane. I will see if I get any better or not.
Why would you put 91 octane in the car? It should be designed to run on 87. I don't think the higher octane will do anything for you in a stock car.

1 - 20 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
203 Participants
dcoulombe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing