Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For folks' info...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More, for me, the question is whether Mazda will SURVIVE.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I doubt Mazda brand will go away
I hope you’re right, but I don’t particularly care about a label. I care about how Mazda builds their cars. They feel different and are more enjoyable to drive than so many other companies’ cars. That’s what I hope stays around.

Reactions: Trippp

·
Registered
680 Posts
You mean to tell me Mazda's "push upmarket" isn't panning out? You don't say!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seriously, I think we all called this years ago. I'm just hoping that the upmarket next gen CX-5 doesn't kill them since that's their cash cow right now.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Seriously, I think we all called this years ago. I'm just hoping that the upmarket next gen CX-5 doesn't kill them since that's their cash cow right now.
I just don't see people paying Volvo/Audi prices for Mazdas. That's not a knock against Mazda, mind you. I've always considered Mazda a more affordable Toyota or Honda with more fun added. I think they goofed with this whole premium business.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So many professional car reviewers knocked Mazda's for their poor sound insulation and praised the interiors.
Mazda increased the sound insulation, softer suspension, went more upmarket with signature/reserve real wood etc. and did notice buyers purchased the loaded models vs. the base models.
Can't blame them for improving their product to a broader population but lost out the value seekers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think Mazda has done more than announce and just barely start their attempt to push up-market, have they?

It kinda almost seems like they need a different name (for the USA market) to push into M-B, BMW, Volvo price territory, don't they? Americans won't often pay Lexus prices for Toyotas. OTOH, they seem to be far too easily bamboozled by a slick ad and a new name with a high price, so just re-badging and re-branding might work well?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I just don't know much about the comparative quality of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Lexus... but aren't at least the first four 'way above Mazda for body sheet metal thickness, rustproofing, paint durability, and at least carpet thickness/pile... durability? I could be wrong but I think Mazda's are carefully built to a budget (all cars are...) specifically affecting at least these- (my ) relaltive quality parameters... with said parameters figuring-in big with how "gracefully" the car ages. I don't believe Mazda's can play in the same league at this point in time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It seems like the "premium" thing is a commonly used as a scapegoat on here and comment sections, but in Mazda's investor-presentations it is clearly laid out that the aim is to increase the price range by adding more trim levels and features, not by moving the entire price range upmarket and getting rid of the competitively priced lower trim levels:

I remember Mazda a few years ago saying in an interview that the Signature CX-9 had a very high take-rate.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the dealer network, the fact that they aren't spec sheet cars(They don't have the most space or fuel economy, but I love Mazdas as a whole package), or it's the demographic that buys them.

I do think that Mazda has the fit and finish down; the new Mazda3 and CX-30 are very quiet, and definitely seem just as nice as as the new RDX that someone in my office has. (She drove a few of us to lunch a couple times in before the pandemic).

Toyota seems to get a free pass from everyone, even though higher trims in more and more of their cars are pushing north of $35 to $40 grand and the new Highlander is now eclipsing $50 grand. You can't even make out the dealership with anything more than a base Highlander L with AWD for under $40k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts