Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had my oil changed at the dealership I checked the oil myself and the level was at or just a bit below the minimum line. Does anyone know how many quarts need to be added to the level from the min to just shy of the max mark?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
did you check it with the engine cold? if the car had been running it would show low.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car had been sitting overnight and on level pavement. I check the oil a few time just to be sure.

BTW it's 1/2 quart between the min and max hole on the dipstick

·
Registered
851 Posts
drive the car, let it warm up to operating temps, ie temp gauge in the middle shut car off then check oil

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
drive the car, let it warm up to operating temps, ie temp gauge in the middle shut car off then check oil
[/b]

as per manual. run car to full operating temp. turn off. let sit for 5 minutes to allow all oil to settle. then check. if not at max line add enough to make it there. if you run the car and shut it off. check immediately you will be low. usually under min.

if i wait 5 minutes, when i check mine i am usually right above the max line. no big deal. maybe 1/16 of a qt.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry but it's bad when you can't trust the dealership you bought your car from to change the oil. Usually I wait until I get to 10k before I start changing my own oil. But it looks like I'll be changing my own from here on out, I'll just have to make sure I save all my receipts just in case of a problem.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm sorry but it's bad when you can't trust the dealership you bought your car from to change the oil. Usually I wait until I get to 10k before I start changing my own oil. But it looks like I'll be changing my own from here on out, I'll just have to make sure I save all my receipts just in case of a problem.
[/b]

well make sure when you check it its a good 5 minutes after you turn off the car and the car is still hot. also as for your question in the first post that i missed. judging by my recent lof, its max about 3/4 of a qt from the min line to the max.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts