Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
What's not to say that many car owners are not affiliated with certain brands that have an agenda to push it to the top of the list?

How does CR obtain this data? Surveys, there is no other explanations.

What's not to say that certain car manufacturers don't pay consumer to positively report on these surveys?
Because in the many decades they have been doing this, no one has come out and said that CR is skewing the results. No one from any car makers corporate offices have come out and said it. This isn't some conspiracy.

And anyone who thinks Toyota's legendary reliability is a myth clearly has never owned a Toyota long-term. They invented lean manufacturing. They perfected six sigma. They still keep up with those methods, and will always do so. They are the best in the industry by a wide margin, and have been for almost 40 years. Next time you see a tow truck driver, ask him how many Toyota vehicles he has towed due to them breaking down. Don't be surprised when the number is equal to or close to zero. Toyotas don't break down. They keep going until they get totaled in an accident, or junked because someone wanted a new one. I had a Toyota Camry for 15 years. Drove it 180,000 miles. Never changed any fluids besides the oil, ever. Drove it 10 miles without oil once. I treated it like crap for a long time. Got it up to 130 mph once because I was a stupid kid. My total repair bill for that car over 15 years was about $500. Got rid of it because I messed the bumper up and wanted something new it still ran perfectly.

Other cars can be reliable as well. But no one hits a home run nearly as often as Toyota.

But honestly, feel free to believe what you want. The more people that think Toyotas are unicorns, the cheaper my next used Toyota will be.

You can 'kill' a Toyota same as anything else. We're living in the 21st century, any one of the major manufacturers can produce a vehicle that you can kill.

What really bothers me is that Toyota is succeeding in dismantling the US auto industry and they're relying on the stupid American consumer in order to do it. How embarrassing (for us as a nation) and you know they think of us as complete fools as a result.

If Toyota or Nissan was better than Ford or Dodge, then why on earth do almost all of our law enforcements depend on a ford product ( Police Interceptor) to protect our streets, highways, schools... Why are 80% of our ambulances stamped with a Ford logo... if these products were unreliable then why do the people that we put the safety of our lives into their hands depend on and put their lives into the hands of a Ford/Dodge?

As far as mileage goes, start inspecting the odometer readings on the bazillions of crown victoria cabs and squad cars that dot the landscape. Putting down huge mileage is critical to the guys that own and operate those cabs as a business

Fact of the matter is though Japan is trying its best to drive Detroit into the ground and relying on the aid of the American consumer in order to do it.

I find it disturbing, but not unexpected, that many people that have children don't have the modicum of intelligence to realize that without American industry and American made products their progeny will have a service job at McDonalds for a future. But a large number of American's are in fact stupid and will believe anything to the point of idiocy

Fact of the matter is though Japan is trying its best to drive Detroit into the ground and relying on the aid of the American consumer in order to do it.

I find it disturbing, but not unexpected, that many people that have children don't have the modicum of intelligence to realize that without American industry and American made products their progeny will have a service job at McDonalds for a future. But a large number of American's are in fact stupid and will believe anything to the point of idiocy
So this begs the question why did you buy a Mazda and not an American made vehicle? Or do you not actually own a Mazda?

So this begs the question why did you buy a Mazda and not an American made vehicle? Or do you not actually own a Mazda?

because I got a good deal on it. I would have no problem buying a Malibu. I wouldn't mind owning a Mustang. I wouldn't mind having a raptor.

I had a Chevrolet before this car.

I don't fall for this reliability myth that the average sucka falls for. And reliability reputation is not number one priority on my list when it comes to buying a car.

You think people who buy Benz and bmws give a shit about this reliability crap? They know these cars are known for high maintenance and low reliability, but who gives, is all about having a fun car that has good interior and represents status.

Let those suckas without souls enjoy their corollas and camries with super duper reliability and low maintenance. I would choose a Mustang over them any day, don't care if is less reliable, higher maintenance, etc.

If you do not get 200K+ miles out of a 1998+ OBD II based car of pretty much ANY brand then you did something wrong.

My 2004 6 has 270K KM+ on it and it runs beautifully, never any noises. My only issue is rust, and even considering I live in the heart of Saltlandia, the rust is minimal.

Toyota has high ratings because they likely sell 10 Toyotas for every single Mazda. Same for GM, high ratings because of high volume.

Mustangs are extremely reliable. BMW's and Mercedes are the MOST reliable cars on the planet for the first 100K miles. They eat themselves quickly with HEAVY maintenance costs after 100K miles.

Drive what makes you happy, the best possible way to own a car is no payments. I own all my junkers, I fix them myself. I guarantee my costs are 1/3 or less of almost anyone around here because of this. The more sweat equity the cheaper to run it.

If you do not get 200K+ miles out of a 1998+ OBD II based car of pretty much ANY brand then you did something wrong./QUOTE]

Nice blanket statement, have mentioned this a few times already. There are bad vehicles out there, what could I have done differently to my bought new 2001 Impala that had the transmission planetary gear fail at 35K miles? Past 5 year power train warranty, why pay $3800 to have it replaced, I dumped it.

because I got a good deal on it. I would have no problem buying a Malibu. I wouldn't mind owning a Mustang. I wouldn't mind having a raptor.

I had a Chevrolet before this car.

I don't fall for this reliability myth that the average sucka falls for. And reliability reputation is not number one priority on my list when it comes to buying a car.

You think people who buy Benz and bmws give a shit about this reliability crap? They know these cars are known for high maintenance and low reliability, but who gives, is all about having a fun car that has good interior and represents status.

Let those suckas without souls enjoy their corollas and camries with super duper reliability and low maintenance. I would choose a Mustang over them any day, don't care if is less reliable, higher maintenance, etc.

A cheap guy like you should have reliability as your first priority. Mr. cut corners and buy cheap spoiler from ebay.

If you do not get 200K+ miles out of a 1998+ OBD II based car of pretty much ANY brand then you did something wrong.

Nice blanket statement, have mentioned this a few times already. There are bad vehicles out there, what could I have done differently to my bought new 2001 Impala that had the transmission planetary gear fail at 35K miles? Past 5 year power train warranty, why pay $3800 to have it replaced, I dumped it.

You are only applying a small part of what I said.

If MY 2001 Impala needed a transmission, I would have removed it myself, brought the transmission to a shop for a rebuild and reinstalled it myself. Costs about $600-700 to get one of those transmissions rebuild even in Canada. I would have saved $3K and still have a nice low mileage car.

You are only applying a small part of what I said.

If MY 2001 Impala needed a transmission, I would have removed it myself, brought the transmission to a shop for a rebuild and reinstalled it myself. Costs about $600-700 to get one of those transmissions rebuild even in Canada. I would have saved $3K and still have a nice low mileage car.

Excellent that you can do that, the majority can't do beyond basics such oil & coolant changes.

I’m about 500 miles from 100,000! Probably within the next week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Scotty Kilmer would say your 185K miles is equivalent to 18.5K miles since the majority of your miles is highway.
That depends on the highway :lol:

Come up here and drive through CT, NJ, or MA some time on the highways and you'll have a different opinion. I'd say 185k up here is probably 90k city.

I'm approaching 160k with mine and I just had to replace my front struts because the passenger side had blown. Rears feel/sound like they're ready to go soon too.

Beyond that, picture perfect.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.