Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to expose some RCA jacks to plug in my MP3 player (actually, my PDA to play MP3/RealAudio/WMA files)? At the moment, I'm using one of those cassette adaptors.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: RCA jacks?

I don't think so, both the Bose and standard stereo use special connectors, you might be able to make RCA's outta them, but I don't know how. This has been a hot topic as many of us want to toss aftermarket stuff in the car.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

Im not exactly sure what the guys at the shop did to mine, but in order to hook my amp up to my head unit, they tapped into the speaker wires i believe an connected some kind of adapter that has rca jacks. dont quote me on this cuz as i said im not sure, but they tapped into something and used an adapter to get a set of rca's back there :p

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You can always tap in on the speaker wires, but that doesn't give as good sound as if you find a low level RCA output.

The reason is that the second stage amplifier also amplifies all noise on the wire. There's more noise on a speaker wire than in a low level output.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Uh, guys, he's looking for INPUT, not output...

I think the short answer is "no," though.

Mazda makes a nice in-dash MP3 player, though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'RCA jacks?'

Originally posted by Steve 6er

You can always tap in on the speaker wires, but that doesn't give as good sound as if you find a low level RCA output.

The reason is that the second stage amplifier also amplifies all noise on the wire. There's more noise on a speaker wire than in a low level output.[/b]
Complete & utter bunk Steve. If done right, it sounds just as good. :)

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

I haven't popped out the head unit yet, so I don't know what it has on the back... but it at least has a cd changer input, I'd assume, since there is a... cd changer ;-) If this is true, you can get a cd changer to RCA adapter. No tapping into wires or any of that crap. I had one on my Kenwood eXcelon in my old car. I plan on doing it again with the 6, as soon as I get the guts to start ripping the car apart ;-) (it's 2 days old right now... I'm going to wait before I risk screwing things up)

RCA to CD Changer input adapters should be like $20.

·
Registered
102 Posts

The CD changer option replaces the standard HU, as it is a combined CD changer/HU. There is an input point to the stereo which is used by the minidisc and tape deck options. However, as has been discussed in earlier posts, the stereo uses a bus interface to communicate between its components, and so it will take some engineering to get a line-input adapter to work on the bus protocol. :( I know some people bought the tape deck option just to rig up an external line-input.

·
Registered
376 Posts

MZ6ZoomZoom, if i were you, i'd search on the forums for how to remove the panel!!! some people did it and posted pics! it's not so easy! and sorry to disapoint you, shettelbus is true here, there is no good way to get an RCA jack there...

·
Registered
837 Posts

Actually, the CD component like the CD Changer, single CD Player and the CD/MP3 player are one unit on its own. Standard model get the single CD player while the upgraded Bose stereo gets the 6 CD Changer. When I had my CD/MP3 player installed, the original 6 CD Changer made way for the CD/MP3 (it replaces it). The only connection between the CD component and the HU is a Mazda bus interface which sits on the bottom of the CD component and top of the HU. The HU is the brain (CPU) to control everything.

I looked and looked but there is no simple way to easily tap into it to have an auxilliary input (RCA or what not). If you are using a tape adapter to get MP3 sound to the stereo, a cassette player is an expensive input option.

I was thinking similarly earlier on how to get sound to the stereo speakers as well. However, I only want to tap sound from my PocketPC GPS system so sound quality is not as important as long as I can understand what it is saying. I remember about the old FM modulator solution.

It should work well for my purpose. If you listen to MP3 at 128Kb/s or 160Kb/s then FM modulation will not lose too much fidelity. You could consider purchasing an FM modulator. It is $20US on ebay for a decent in-car modulator.

I will be picking one up to install in the car so I can hear better than the cheesey speaker on my PocketPC.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of connector runs between the cd changer and the HU? I really want to split that input, grrr...

·
Registered
140 Posts

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

Does anyone know what kind of connector runs between the cd changer and the HU?  I really want to split that input, grrr...[/b]
As said above, the CD changer and the HU is ONE unit, so there is no connection between them...

While I am here, does anyone know if we can have a video input into the stock Navi screen? I want to connect a DVD player to it, but when I took the center panel apart, and tried to follow the cables from the navigation unit, I lost the wires, as it goes into a much bigger bunch of wires...:( , Anyone could help?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

I haven't popped the dash, but I've read over and over that it's modular, not one unit. So in other words, I'm questioning the above.

Have you actually seen it as one unit? (I'm still loathe to pull apart my car)

·
Registered
140 Posts

yeah I took mine apart to install an MD player the other day, and all it is, its just a HU with a 6 cd changer in it, by modular, they mean, the MD player and the tape decks.

·
Registered
376 Posts

the way the cd player/mp3/6cd changer is connected to the HU, there is no possibility to get a split there... event then, it's a special connection so that the two units seems to be as one...

you can unplug them by unscrew everything around and pull out the whole unit...

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Ah thanks, makes more sense now. I knew they weren't actually one unit.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: RCA jacks?

it's quite a mess in this in car electronics section... i use to repeat always the same things to answer people's questions about this unit!

but that's ok to me since there are many variations in the questions and that there are some good info to get out of! :D

and if you find a way to get an RCA jack somewhere, then my 2 cents will worth it! :D

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: RCA jacks?

Somebody want to give me their 6? I don't have the guts to go fooling with electronics when no ones done it before in my own 6 :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts