Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post a thread about my newly acquired Mazda 6 and keep a log of the progress for the next few years.

UK spec 2.2TD Skyactiv-D Sport Nav diesel 6-speed manual.

The car's interior is mint. The exterior has some minor scratches around which I will sort over time.

I'll be adding/retrofitting some bits but not too much. It has quite a few bits fitted as standard.

Front and rear PDC with rear view camera
Heated memory seats
Auto dim mirrors
19" stock rims
Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights
Powerfold mirrors (I don't think these are memory)?

Things I'd like to add:

Bonnet/hood gas strut dampers [done]
Boot/trunk gas strut dampers [done]
Electric (memory) steering column (if possible)
New maps please.... [2021 maps done]
Euro rear fog light delete
Dash cam install
3rd party TPMS install
BSM retrofit
LDWS retrofit
2017 steering wheel

There'll be a lot more things to add once I sift through posts on here. I'm sure some seeds will be planted... ;)

Right, some pictures of the old thing. Just washed it but really it needs a good clean, clay bar, polish and wax. I'll post some pictures once done.

This is how it stands right now.

·
Super Moderator
18,203 Posts
Good start, Ray! You've got some good mods to get you going. Keep us up to date on your progress :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate.

I have ordered the gas struts from Ali Express to auto lift the boot/trunk so they should be here around August hopefully....

Just received some D4S bulbs in 6000K flavour and also a 6000K H11 HID kit for the front fogs. Not sure when to fit these though. I guess it's a bumper off job to find a suitable space for the ballasts etc.

The gas struts for the bonnet/hood arrived last week and I've fitted those last weekend and they're great. I've posted this in another thread too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good but where do I find that? I only joined a few weeks ago and trying to find my way around the forum sorry.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sounds good but where do I find that? I only joined a few weeks ago and trying to find my way around the forum sorry.
I think you misunderstood my quotation marks for "work in progress modifications". Just edit your first post as you finish your work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you please advise which of the rear lamps illuminates (or which two) when the eurospec rear fog lamps are engaged? (per this photo: IMG 8917 — Postimages)
By UK law you need to have rear fog lights. If not two then our car should have one and on the offside of the vehicle (the side where cars pass you)

UK spec Mazda 6's have the rear fog light situated where normal countries have their reverse light. Looks unsightly as you can clearly see the difference in light clusters. I'm hoping to source a EU (LHD) light cluster to change to and have two reverse lights. Then for legal purposes I'll be replacing the reflectors near the bottom of the bumper to accommodate some sort of fog light.

I think you misunderstood my quotation marks for "work in progress modifications". Just edit your first post as you finish your work.
Yes, got you. It was late... I thought there was a specific place to add these :D I'll be adding and ticking off as work progresses but updates will be in a new post to avoid having first post of a mile long.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gas struts arrived this morning. Half an hour later and we have an automatic lifting boot/trunk lid :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Archerfish

I purchased the gas struts here super cheap and free shipping. Not sure where they were shipped from but they arrived within a week.

This is they kit you'll receive, no instructions, pictures or owt...

Just screw the bits on either end of the gas strut and you're good to go like so

Remove the liners in the boot (partially) The plastic loading strip thing around the lock mech needs to come out too as there are a couple of fasteners under there. Then stick one end of the gas strut through the hole with the green arrow.

Then wedge the other end around the boot/trunk mechanism at the yellow arrow.

The metal wire with plastic coating wraps around the assembly to prevent it coming off. Put your liners back in, job done. It's about half an hour in total.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much happened in the last couple of weeks but a couple of little bits added.

I had a coin holder in my old car and missed that so bought this little armrest tray for a fiver of eBay. Also bought a 2020/2021 map SD card so I know where I'm going. :)

The front speakers (Bose) sounded terrible so fixed them and yesterday my driver side mirror stopped folding. Seems a common thing but now fixed with some WD40. :geek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, had a cleaning session on the car. Got to have some surgery soon which means being laid up for six week so I can't clean my car for a while. Cleaned and waxed for some protection. It's looking good if I say so myself :geek:

·
Super Moderator
18,203 Posts
That's a nice coin holder.
Who still has coins laying around? XD - I agree it's a nice little holder - I use that storage too much to hinder my access though.

Very well done on the detailing Ray.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Hopefully it will get full paint correction later this year. This was just clay, cover glaze and wax. The flakes in the black paint look really good in the sun.

Believe it or not. We still have parking meters around that take coins. We're a bit backwards in the UK... :LOL:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Who still has coins laying around? XD - I agree it's a nice little holder - I use that storage too much to hinder my access though.

Very well done on the detailing Ray.
The coins we have doesn't make sense to me but it is issued to us. What can I buy here for 25¢? As I've said, it's issued to us.

Believe it or not. We still have parking meters around that take coins. We're a bit backwards in the UK...
That's backwards? We have "humans" instead of parking meters.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
That looks great! My car comes with it from the factory. The "annoying" thing is, the right side makes a scratching sound whenever I close the trunk. It's not always but it's there. I hope yours doesn't have that.

The way you took the shots, you made sure that it's taken at the same angle and background. It's a nice side-by-side comparison.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you. Quite pleased with the look.

One of the parents at my kids school has a 2017 6 and theirs does the scratchy sound too. Mine doesn’t yet but might start once the side trims have settled. It’s one of the corners on the hinge cover that does it. Only on the right hand side. I’ll upload a picture shortly with a marker. You need to file/cut off a mm of the corner and the scratch noise will be gone.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This corner needs a slight trim. If you cut a millimetre off and file it round you shouldn't notice it. I don't think you can actually see these bits when you look through the hole.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts