Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several posts about speaker rattles in factory BOSE systems. Ours had gotten very bad in the last couple of months and I was able to trace it down and repair it yesterday. Best of all, it was FREE. Just a little Gorilla Glue.

If you happen to break a door panel fastener, the Dorman 963-221D for Chrysler vehicles is a suitable replacement and available at most parts stores in the US. I broke one.

I had this exact problem and solution:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought mine was blown as well. It wasn't! Check this issue. I will almost guarantee you have the same problem.

Door panel is fairly easy to remove, but a little tricky to replace. If you look at the edge profile of the window rubber, you can see where the metal lip of the door goes. Fitting it in is difficult. Start at the front and move back.

If you check and have this problem, the fix is free. I was prepared to spend $$$ to replace the stock driver but did not need to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just wanted to follow up on your post concerning the Bose speakers and the separation of the diaphragm from the metal frame due to moisture. About 6 weeks ago, my right front speak started it's death rattle so I figured that I would check out the Club's site to see if someone already addressed this problem and I found your posts. Took the door apart and pulled the speaker to find that the diaphragm had separated from the frame due to the rust. Did the Gorilla glue thing and it fixed it. While I had every thing apart, I gave my service department a call and ran the problem by them to see if Mazda was aware of the problem. Sure enough the service advisor told me that in fact Mazda had put out a service bulletin (he was quick to point out, not a service recall) about vibration problems with the Bose speakers and that it would be dealt with on a case by case basis. He asked how many miles I had on my car (47000) and then said it would not be covered, but then added that the bulletin expired in August of 2018. After checking out the cost to buy a new speaker, $205+, I figured that I would contact Mazda customer relations. I started an email chat with them, laying out the problem, noting that Mazda was very aware of the problem, that I would not expect my "premium" Bose system would start to fall apart with rusting speakers due to a poor design, and that I would expect them to last much longer than 47,000 miles or a little over 6 years. They came back and offered me an email gift certificate for $180.00 towards the cost of replacing the speaker. While it is only good at the dealership, I figure I will go ahead and buy a speaker and keep it on my shelf until I really need it. Last week I checked out my driver's side speaker and sure enough the rust was there and the speaker was getting ready to let go. I went ahead and did preventive surgery so to speak and fixed it too. This is a problem that, unless Mazda did some sort of redesign to the protection of these speakers from moisture that all 6 owners of the 3 Gen or going to have problem with at some point in time. And while there is a supply of replacement speakers now, I am sure Mazda does not have a big stock pile of them sitting around somewhere. Fixing the problem isn't hard, just time consuming, but I would recommend that if one has gone the other is not far behind and check and repair at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts