Mazda 6 Forums banner

Rattle after brake job

19K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just had my OEM rotors and pads replaced on my 2014 6 GT with Centric parts (ordered from rockauto.com). I now notice a rattle coming from the front left when driving over certain cracks and bumps in the road. I took my car back to the shop that performed the service but they didn't find anything wrong. I even had my neighbor take a look (ex-Toyota mechanic) and he couldn't find a problem either. I've been reading about other cars with a similar issue and it was anti-rattle springs, but based on the brake assembly diagrams I've seen, those don't exist on this car. I'm not sure if they retained the OEM clips or used those included with the Posi Quiet pads. Is there anyone here that can help me? I greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
It's probably the cover behind the rotor. The centric rotors are a tad thicker and I had the issue that they would hit that cover lightly when driving over rough terrain or pot holes .. sounded like a loud rattle.

I just bend the cover and pushed it a bit towards the inside. Rattle gone. It's flexible sheet metal.
That's what my neighbor thought and pushed the shield back (towards the engine bay), but the rattle/clink noise is still present. I'll take another look and check the clearance between it and the rotor. Thanks for your response.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Anti rattle springs usually help prevent noises when applying the brakes...not rattles from the front end. It's possible they have left something off the brakes that is causing the noise, but it doesnt sound like any brake related noise I've ever heard...but, hey anything is possible.

Can you take your mechanic on a test drive and show him where and when the noise occurs? That could help him pinpoint the source of the noise.
The noise isn't heard when applying the brakes and driving over a crack where it consistently occurs. It seems that the shims and clips are all in place. I'll have to take it in to get it checked out if I can't figure it out myself. It has been pretty annoying. Thanks for your response.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
On another vehicle I own, I've had a clack sound that I suspect is my brake pads moving around on their pins. It's a work truck so I don't really feel the need to fix it, but I suspect that might be what's going on with yours. The pads might be "rattling" a bit when you go over a significant bump.
I only hear it on certain cracks, potholes, and railroad tracks, but rarely over bumps in the road. It's very strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.