Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a "clunk" feeling in the steering wheel at random times (happens for a brief second). It usually seems to occur when starting from a stop or when going around a corner from a stop. I have a manual transmission so I believe the more "torquey" starts make this "clunk" feeling a little more defined.

It definitely seems to be a suspension issue. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it was when I hit a rather large pot-hole a couple months ago. I hit it hard enough to put a bubble in the sidewall of the tire and slightly dent the wheel. The wheel and tire have since been replaced. Any ideas as to what could be causing this "clunk" feeling?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I am experiencing a "clunk" feeling in the steering wheel at random times (happens for a brief second). It usually seems to occur when starting from a stop or when going around a corner from a stop. I have a manual transmission so I believe the more "torquey" starts make this "clunk" feeling a little more defined.

It definitely seems to be a suspension issue. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it was when I hit a rather large pot-hole a couple months ago. I hit it hard enough to put a bubble in the sidewall of the tire and slightly dent the wheel. The wheel and tire have since been replaced. Any ideas as to what could be causing this "clunk" feeling?[/b]
My wife had a problem with her steering, along with a friend of ours who has a 6 as well. There was something in the steering that had to be replaced, I would advise you to have it checked out, i think it was a u joint or something along those lines in the steering colum.

·
Registered
634 Posts

It definitely seems to be a suspension issue. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it was when I hit a rather large pot-hole a couple months ago. I hit it hard enough to put a bubble in the sidewall of the tire and slightly dent the wheel. The wheel and tire have since been replaced. Any ideas as to what could be causing this "clunk" feeling?[/b]
I had something that sounds very much like what you're describing. According to the dealer (who I trust) it was the clock spring on the steering column. They replaced it and the problem hasn't been back in the past few months. My thread about it is below, and contains a few other ideas, although they weren't exactly correct in my case.

Click Me!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had something that sounds very much like what you're describing. According to the dealer (who I trust) it was the clock spring on the steering column. They replaced it and the problem hasn't been back in the past few months. My thread about it is below, and contains a few other ideas, although they weren't exactly correct in my case.

Click Me![/b]
I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago for a few problems and of course they claimed they could feel the clunk so they did nothing. I don't know if they are sick of doing tedious little repair work to my car since I am picky or what. I can just see they saying that there was no problem found again. Then again, maybe if I pointed them in the right direction that would help.

Could you get the "clunk" feeling to occur while moving the steering wheel back and forth while the car was stopped? By the way, where can I find/read the TSB that has to do with this problem as mentioned in the post that you linked me to?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago for a few problems and of course they claimed they could feel the clunk so they did nothing. I don't know if they are sick of doing tedious little repair work to my car since I am picky or what. I can just see they saying that there was no problem found again. Then again, maybe if I pointed them in the right direction that would help.

Could you get the "clunk" feeling to occur while moving the steering wheel back and forth while the car was stopped? By the way, where can I find/read the TSB that has to do with this problem as mentioned in the post that you linked me to?[/b]
For my particular problem the clunk could be felt at a stop if the steering wheel was turned all the way to the left and then back and forth near the limit. That's probably the most reproducible way of making it happen for the issue that I had

As far as the TSBs go I don't think there is one for the 'greasing' that was mentioned in the post that I linked. All TSBs can be found on the forums at Mazda6tech.com.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just had this exact same problem fixed at the dealer. I had a wierd clunk when turning or driving over uneven roads at low speeds, and when would take off in first or reverse(I could make the clunk by turning the wheel back and forth when stopped). I was convinced it was something in the suspension, but they replaced the entire steering column, and there is no more clunk...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the same problem and need to take mine into the dealership asap[/b]
I just tried turning my steering wheel all the way to the left and then proceeded to move it back and forth real quick and I can get the clunk to occur like previously mentioned. Time to go back to the dealer!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was having the same problem and the dealer replaced my inner tie rod ends, lower ball joint and my entire steering rack. The clunk seemed to be gone but is now back with a vengeance. I plan to take it back to the dealer and ask them about replacing my steering column which most people with this problem say is what fixed it for them.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I was having the same problem and the dealer replaced my inner tie rod ends, lower ball joint and my entire steering rack. The clunk seemed to be gone but is now back with a vengeance. I plan to take it back to the dealer and ask them about replacing my steering column which most people with this problem say is what fixed it for them.[/b]

We need a Mazda rep to call this one out and fix this for all owners in and out of warranty, to many people having this problem!!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
We need a Mazda rep to call this one out and fix this for all owners in and out of warranty, to many people having this problem!![/b]
OK, so 3 days after being in the shop, one ride along because they claimed they "can not heard or feel the noise" and me telling them to check the TSB's they found it. They reflashed my ECU (for the delay issue), fix the window tracks and repacked the grease in the steering column. They claim that is going to fix all my problems....but it will cost me $293!!!!!!!! Call Mazda USA and they offer a MINIMUAL amount towards the bill. Let me recover my dedication to Mazda and you tell me what you think.

The Car:
less than 2 yrs old and 55,000 miles
had these problems for the last year and even had the car in the shop for the steering “creek” about a year ago when they said “we cant find the problem”.

My Mazda History:
2nd Mazda for me, first one was a Mazda Protégé MP3
Fiancé bought a 05 Tribute
Her Mom bought one the same day
Her Dad bought a used Miata
My brother bought a Mazdaspeed Protégé
Her brother bought a Mazda 3
Her cousin bought a Mazda 3

I'm very active in a Mazda Forum community and have never talked bad about my Mazdas.......

And they cant even pay the 300 bucks to fix this thing? This is going to make me think twice especially when they have “known” issues with the problems I had “TSB’s”.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
So did you end up paying for it or not? If they didn't tell you in the beginning before starting the work that you would have to pay for it, then you don't. That's the law.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
So did you end up paying for it or not? If they didn't tell you in the beginning before starting the work that you would have to pay for it, then you don't. That's the law.

Good luck, and keep us updated.[/b]
Well the work will be done Monday then we will talk money

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You don't want them to touch your car until you agree with the cost. Once they do it, you'll be screwed. Better to get the money part sorted out before they do anything.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You don't want them to touch your car until you agree with the cost. Once they do it, you'll be screwed. Better to get the money part sorted out before they do anything.[/b]
Hey left a message that they already reflashed the ECU and fixed the window and just needed the OK on the steering column

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had this issue and it was in the steering column. The dealer replaced the column and it has never been better. Didn't matter if the car was moving or stopped, turn the wheel and feel the looseness and pop. Don't let them tell you they have to charge you for the fix when this is a known issue and many of us have had to go in for repairs on what sounds like the same thing you are experiencing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own a 03 6i and have been experiencing the clunk for about a year and a half now. I’m considerably out of warranty and was wondering if any one knows what the actual problem is and for that matter what the cost of the repair is? I’m at the stage in life where I don’t really want a new car anymore and cant afford to spend a whole lot since getting a minivan for the family. Honestly, though, this should have been a recall issue by now. I guess Mazda is just going to wait until enough people get into accidents due to a distressed component (i.e. whatever is causing the clunk noise). I don’t know if I’m going to stick with Mazda for much longer if Mazda doesn’t address this known issue. Luckily I live just a few miles from work and we use the minivan to get around on weekends, hence the reason I’ve put off working on this problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.