Mazda 6 Forums banner

Ram Air System

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  newbombturk 
#1 ·
Fellas,
Just scored a Gruppe M (of Europe) ram air system for my 2.3L Mazda 6.
Is this the same unit that Autoexe (of Japan) uses? It appears to be the same design.
(Carbon Fiber catch housing, conical filter, etc. )
newbombturk

#2 ·
Hmmm...Although I have just posted here, I have been folowing the Mazda 6 Club since April of 2006. I am surprised by the lack of response to my inquiry....maybe i would have had a better response if this post had not been moved to the newbie section?
newbombturk

#9 ·
Hmmm...Although I have just posted here, I have been folowing the Mazda 6 Club since April of 2006. I am surprised by the lack of response to my inquiry....maybe i would have had a better response if this post had not been moved to the newbie section?
newbombturk
[/b]
i think this post got moved to the newbie section so you didn't get pwnd by the l337 members.

#10 ·
Engineered by Gruppe M and uses a K&N conical filter.

Better photo image.
Fits on the drivers side front.
newbombturk

Here is an intake flow drawing.
newbombturk
[/b]
That is not really a ram-air system as much as it is a K&N Shorty Intake with heatshield. What you will find by reading on here is that the Ram Air system power increase is mostly a myth (completely a myth on the mazda6). If you paid any more than about $100 for that, you paid too much because it will provide FAR less gains than the AEM or Injen intake. You can get used AEM intakes or Injens on here from other members for about $100-$150.

#12 ·
i wonder why it has such a better effect on the trans ams then?
is it because they are so much more powerfull to begin with?
or because they have huge intake holes?
it would be cool to find out.....

and also, hp is hp every little bit helps

#13 ·
Speed "ram pressure"
77-mph ( 0.1 psi )
109-mph ( 0.2 psi )
134-mph ( 0.3 psi )
155-mph ( 0.4 psi )
173-mph ( 0.5 psi )

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/data...&Section=03
[/b]

Yep. "Ram air" is a born from a Marketing board room and not a Engineering lab.

If the induction piping is larger than the stock accordian hose at the MAF sensor area, you risk getting the P0171 and P0174 CELs.

Not to mention that you'd be pulling heat soaked air which negates any gains you might have. Potentially, you'd be experiencing the issues as those with SRIs. Now if you're boosted with an adequate intercooler, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

#15 ·
I thought a true "ram air" setup received air via a hood scoop. And that it was sealed off from the hot air in the engine bay.
[/b]
Technically, yes, but as the BMW link showed, it is a marketing ploy. The fact that it is sealed off from the engine bay heat is what adds the power (cold intake charge), not that it is forcing any extra air into the system. An air filter can only let a certain amount of air through.

#16 ·
Thanks fellas for the comments and feedback. I appreciate your thoughts. No one really answered my question though. Who engineered this product? The Europeans or the Japanese? I like it much better than the "cone on a stick". Plus, I didn't have to "insulate" the ABS wiring harness. Factory upgrades like the Japanese AutoExe unit are more aesthetically pleasing.
newbombturk

#18 ·
Thanks fellas for the comments and feedback. I appreciate your thoughts. No one really answered my question though. Who engineered this product? The Europeans or the Japanese? I like it much better than the "cone on a stick". Plus, I didn't have to "insulate" the ABS wiring harness. Factory upgrades like the Japanese AutoExe unit are more aesthetically pleasing.
newbombturk
[/b]
Engineered is a loose word. There really isn't any engineering in the part that you bought. Essentially, they put a high flow filter in a box with the side cut out.

#19 ·
I believe you might be confusing the Autoexe one with the one that places like Umnitza are selling. You are correct in that Autoexe is a distributor for this particular unit but as stated the assembly and shrouding for intake is made by Gruppe M with the element being a K&N, all the manufacturing stamps show this as well as the documentation that comes with it.
Thanks.

#20 ·
This intake is very similar to one of the designs in the sticky post on intakes. Minimal to no gains were attributed to its installation.

Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

#22 ·
I really don't know the answer to your question or where to get the answer but they look identical to me. Plus Gruppe M gets its parts out of Japan, so chances are they are the same product, different labeling. It happens all the time so I wouldn't be surprised. Hell, a lot of people are saying that the Mazdaspeed and AEM CAI are the same. I have no clue, but they look the same to me too. Hope this helps you some, since you seem pretty upset with all the other responses.

#23 ·
Installed it today. Easy to follow directions even though it was written in Japanese. Great illustrations in the package. 90 min. R&R. No CEL codes popped up. Horsepower gain feels good by the seat of the pants dyno and the sound it makes is great and isn't deafening at all. Very pleased with the result. Stainless steel ceramic coated header is next.
newbombturk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.