Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SWMBO has a 2016. She is the daily driver but we use the car for trips. Comfy for the driver but the passenger sits too low. That seat is non power. Figured I could use longer bolts and a steel bushings to raise it a bit.
Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
SWMBO? Salacious White Male Buys Orchestra? Why do you need to raise it? I guess you could, ive been toying with the idea of adding some in the front to get more tilt on the drivers seat, but...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She Who Must Be Obeyed. She is a short gal so she sits low in the seat. Dash is in her line of sight and with a bad back, climbing out of the car is harder than falling in.

heheheheh

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
SWMBO has a 2016. She is the daily driver but we use the car for trips. Comfy for the driver but the passenger sits too low. That seat is non power. Figured I could use longer bolts and a steel bushings to raise it a bit.
Has anyone done this?
One thought.... In an accident where you get rear-ended the psgr seat occupant gets forced backwards into the seatback before the seatbelt contains you when you sproing forward. So, for the rearwards first bit of this you rely on the seatback not slamming backwards and you rely on the seat fixings to generally act in shear (frt ones also act in upwards tension, too) and be retained by their bolting. When you add bushings you are then asking the car floorboard fixing locations to resist both shear and resist a moment (i.e. torque). You need to assure yourself that there is enough flexural strength to resist that torque (and not tear-out, etc.) when you add-in those bushings (in that type of accident).

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
986 Posts
This thread from another site might be useful:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the article. Guessing its a none issue. Sitting on a cushion is not a good option, in a hard braking situation the cushion could pop out as well. Causing issues since she doesnt like the seat and I have to figure 3 overnight stops on a trip from Florida to Philly.
Getting old sucks.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
986 Posts
3 stops??? I make no more than one stop from Canada to Miami.

Be aware that if you add the spacers and then the passenger gets hurt in an accident, your insurance company or Mazda can argue that the seat was modified and deny a claim/responsibility (if any). Also, would be smart to remove them before selling/trading the vehicle so any liability doesn't fall back on you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts