Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So today when I was coming home from work it started pouring. I then immediately flipped it to 'auto' but then I noticed that the wipers aren't working after 10 seconds of waiting. I then pulled to the shoulder of the road to switch it to the highest setting, but the wipers aren't still working.

So I then just flipped it 'low' setting and the wipers started working.

What could be the problem of my rain-sensing wipers? I checked the settings and they are checked! I have tried unchecking it and checking it, but still not working.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not really sure. Is there a way to reset the head unit? I know it uses the camera - no errors on the dash or in the unit itself? Guess it could be the actual switch itself as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really sure. Is there a way to reset the head unit? I know it uses the camera - no errors on the dash or in the unit itself? Guess it could be the actual switch itself as well.
No errors or whatsoever.

Should I try doing a factory reset?

I have also brought my car in to the dealership just today to see if they can 'kinda' fix it and the service writer was in awe as well because there aren't no errors or anything. They wanted to charge me 130+ USD just for a diagnosis for my appointment next week........

Thanks!

2017 M6 Touring w/ 44k Miles

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's a bit frustrating that they want to charge that much. Certainly up to you where to go next since your out of warranty. At that price, I'd try and reset myself as a start, but then again, I don't find the feature all that useful as I still find myself adjusting the speed anyway a lot of the time. Would have gladly swapped this feature for heated side-view mirrors.

Reactions: J360Y

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you by chance have any type of glass sealant or Rain-X on your windshield? I’m told this can affect the sensor since the water rolls off quickly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a bit frustrating that they want to charge that much. Certainly up to you where to go next since your out of warranty. At that price, I'd try and reset myself as a start, but then again, I don't find the feature all that useful as I still find myself adjusting the speed anyway a lot of the time. Would have gladly swapped this feature for heated side-view mirrors.
I’m fairly new to mazda as a whole. How do I even go about resetting it?

Do I just start looking for blown out fuses or just do a factory reset on the computer?

Again, thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you by chance have any type of glass sealant or Rain-X on your windshield? I’m told this can affect the sensor since the water rolls off quickly
Nope. As a matter of fact, when i found out that my rain sensors arent working, i immediately drove my car to the service dept and had them take a look at it while it was still raining. So they took it for a drive around their parking lot and they were surprised how come it isn’t working....

I just had a tint brow but that’s it.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tinted brow... like a strip across the top of the windshield?

The rain sensor is inside the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. If they removed that casing and mucked about or damaged something in there and the sensor isn't reporting it would explain your issue.

I think in infotainment you can disable rain sensing and convert back to normal intermittent wipers. You can do that for the time being until you can get the auto function sorted. Unless I'm thinking of my van, I've never done it but remember seeing the option somewhere. Check the manual...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tint brow could certainly explain why it's now not working as it could interfere with the sensors.

FYI, for hard reset, this video is of a Mazda3, but believe it's the same for us. Wish there was a light or something on the stalk that lets you know the switch is enable for this feature.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think in infotainment you can disable rain sensing and convert back to normal intermittent wipers. You can do that for the time being until you can get the auto function sorted. Unless I'm thinking of my van, I've never done it but remember seeing the option somewhere. Check the manual...
Right, I disabled mine. Auto is now designated as intermittent function. It is in the main settings menu.

·
Registered
178 Posts
From the manual......
Do not shade the rain sensor by adhering a sticker or a label on the windshield. Otherwise the rain sensor will not operate correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tinted brow... like a strip across the top of the windshield?

The rain sensor is inside the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. If they removed that casing and mucked about or damaged something in there and the sensor isn't reporting it would explain your issue.

View attachment 239525

They did mess around with the box when they were tinting it as I was watching them the whole time. They measured the tint, cut, and went around the box. So I don't think they harmed the sensor. Thank you so much for this detailed response! (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tint brow could certainly explain why it's now not working as it could interfere with the sensors.

FYI, for hard reset, this video is of a Mazda3, but believe it's the same for us. Wish there was a light or something on the stalk that lets you know the switch is enable for this feature.

Thank you for this! I am also wondering if it's really the tint interfering with the sensors. I will take pictures/videos of my car maybe sometime today.

I've disabled the sensors and I'm running on intermittent mode. Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, I disabled mine. Auto is now designated as intermittent function. It is in the main settings menu.
I have mines disabled now too since it's not working. I'm still eager to bring it in to the dealership to have them diagnose the problem, but I think $150 just to diagnose just seems like a steep price.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the manual......
Do not shade the rain sensor by adhering a sticker or a label on the windshield. Otherwise the rain sensor will not operate correctly.

They did not tint over the box or the box is not shaded at all. They went around it. I will take pics of it sometime today. Thanks thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have mines disabled now too since it's not working. I'm still eager to bring it in to the dealership to have them diagnose the problem, but I think $150 just to diagnose just seems like a steep price.......
I agree, that price is unreasonable. I know how annoying to have a feature that is not working. It would have been better not to have it, than have it but can't use it.

I hope it's just a loose connection somewhere or any easy fix solution like resetting the infotainment.

How about disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery and leaving it for about half an hour before connecting it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue, 2018 GTR. I bought it used about 3 months ago.

The automatic light setting was not working nor was the intermittent wiper setting. So I took it to the dealer about 10 days ago. Mind you my 2018 M6 GTR only had 14K miles on it so it was under warranty still. I got a call the following day and dealer said the head unit was bad and some other safety feature. (??) So they were going to keep it and gave me a loaner. They had it for several days. They replaced the head unit and some other part associated with the camera in the head unit.

The dealer said before I purchased the car, (through a broker) the windshield was replaced by them via a contractor they work with often. Well they installed the windshield and improperly re-attached the head unit and damaged it in someway. On top of that, the windshield replacement person didn't install this other part (??) causing not enough separation or something for the camera alignment shooting through the head unit and windshield.

All is well

*Not a typo: Yes, I bought my 2018 M6 GTR about 2 months ago with only 14K on it. It has a bunch of small scratches and some very shallow hail indentations (Nobody saw them but me and I got several bills taken off for it) The engine bay was sparkling as well as the interior. Sweet ride. Went from a 2016 Civic EX-L to the M6 GTR and what a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I had a similar issue, 2018 GTR. I bought it used about 3 months ago.

The automatic light setting was not working nor was the intermittent wiper setting. So I took it to the dealer about 10 days ago. Mind you my 2018 M6 GTR only had 14K miles on it so it was under warranty still. I got a call the following day and dealer said the head unit was bad and some other safety feature. (??) So they were going to keep it and gave me a loaner. They had it for several days. They replaced the head unit and some other part associated with the camera in the head unit.

The dealer said before I purchased the car, (through a broker) the windshield was replaced by them via a contractor they work with often. Well they installed the windshield and improperly re-attached the head unit and damaged it in someway. On top of that, the windshield replacement person didn't install this other part (??) causing not enough separation or something for the camera alignment shooting through the head unit and windshield.

All is well

*Not a typo: Yes, I bought my 2018 M6 GTR about 2 months ago with only 14K on it. It has a bunch of small scratches and some very shallow hail indentations (Nobody saw them but me and I got several bills taken off for it) The engine bay was sparkling as well as the interior. Sweet ride. Went from a 2016 Civic EX-L to the M6 GTR and what a huge difference.
I'm glad you are enjoying your car. Now that you mentioned about the windshield replacement, this features that we "enjoy" is a potential problem. You can't just go to any auto glass shop to replace the windshield.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts