Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Mazda 6s hatchback and I can not for the life of me find which ones work for it online

·
Registered
820 Posts
They came on my 3 and i took them off, more bother and wind noise than they are worth. Dont know which ones fit the 1st gen.
This reminds me of our CR-V 98, it became noisy at high speeds when I installed that rain guards.

I still want one for the 6, I find it useful when the car is left on an open parking. Anyways, the car is noisy to begin with.

One apprehension I have with rain guards is, how it will affect aerodynamics.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I have a 2004 Mazda 6s hatchback and I can not for the life of me find which ones work for it online
The only ones I could ever find for my 05 hatch that looked good and were of decent quality were the Mazda accessory parts. They were a combination of stick on with retainer clips. There was a group buy ages ago that kept the price in line, but otherwise were a little spendy. In channel options (ie weathertech) didn't exist for the hatch.

As far as Aerodynamic changes are concerned, honestly I don't think it's even a small issue. A little noise is one thing, affecting stability is quite another. I have them my 3 and seriously don't think I'd ever want them off.

And you can clean them with proper rags and such.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
And you can clean them with proper rags and such.
Yea, you can wipe them off. But if you remove them, theres all kinds of crap in there that you CANT get to. I dont know why its a point to argue that when i said i removed mine and found that out. The paint on the B pillar was starting to be affected from the dirt.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Folks.... sometimes it's better not to state things as absolutes. One member intimates he can clean around them using (soft) rags and, I assume, some cleaning solution / soap and water, and patience. Play nice in the sandbox ☺ .

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yea, you can wipe them off. But if you remove them, theres all kinds of crap in there that you CANT get to. I dont know why its a point to argue that when i said i removed mine and found that out. The paint on the B pillar was starting to be affected from the dirt.
That is why I'm considering the one that you insert in the windows, instead of the one that you stick on. I haven't seen one but I think this particular rain guard eliminates that problem.

As far as Aerodynamic changes are concerned, honestly I don't think it's even a small issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I only mentioned it because sometimes, I drive at speeds above the speed limit. I don't want to post at what speed, but surely it has an effect. I just don't know if it's positive or negative.

For everyday driving, I don't think it will have any significant effect.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sorry... maybe I'm not understanding your post. You say if you decide to remove the adhesive-style "rain guards" you are left with a messy bunch of adhesive that due to placement / configuration is not totally accessible for cleaning off? In other words... be sure you like them before you commit?

·
Rally Racer
2,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry... maybe I'm not understanding your post. You say if you decide to remove the adhesive-style "rain guards" you are left with a messy bunch of adhesive that due to placement / configuration is not totally accessible for cleaning off? In other words... be sure you like them before you commit?
They came on the car from the previous owner. I didnt like the look and it took a long time to get the adhesive off even using Goo Gone. Im am very OCD when it comes to detailing my car and it was GROSS underneath when i pulled them off. I mean, like i wanted to take a shower gross cause i had no idea what germs were in there gross. You simply cannot get in all the cracks and crevises due to their design, its just NOT possible. This grit can eat at the paint over time and the paint will fade faster than the rest of the car. It was insane how nasty the door looked.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thx for explaining. I guess you have to be really convinced that you will like them (i.e. fit and finish, potential to generate noise/turbulence/lift, etc.)... and someone has to be a guinea-pig at the outset.

·
Rally Racer
2,062 Posts
Thx for explaining. I guess you have to be really convinced that you will like them (i.e. fit and finish, potential to generate noise/turbulence/lift, etc.)... and someone has to be a guinea-pig at the outset.
I agree on the tenacity of the adhesive. I have never seen anything like it. I purchased the Mazda specific version for my wagon and have been pleased. I have not noticed any sound increase over the standard road noise. The window closes tight and without leakage. I prepped the surface with acetone and applied with air temp 28 C
It's nice to get air during the months of rain and I don't have to run the compressor to keep the windows clear.
No problems in the car wash yet...
pic

·
Registered
820 Posts
They came on the car from the previous owner. I didnt like the look and it took a long time to get the adhesive off even using Goo Gone. Im am very OCD when it comes to detailing my car and it was GROSS underneath when i pulled them off. I mean, like i wanted to take a shower gross cause i had no idea what germs were in there gross. You simply cannot get in all the cracks and crevises due to their design, its just NOT possible. This grit can eat at the paint over time and the paint will fade faster than the rest of the car. It was insane how nasty the door looked.
This is true and I've seen one. The guy got tired with the way his SUV looked with its hood protector / bug deflector and so he removed it. I asked about the stains and he said he can't remove it. It looks nasty!

Yes, you have to be fully committed. Knowing this, I still want one!

However, I'll get the one that I described earlier. The one that you insert "in the windows". I just hope it won't have any "ugly after effects" should I decide later to remove it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree on the tenacity of the adhesive. I have never seen anything like it. I purchased the Mazda specific version for my wagon and have been pleased. I have not noticed any sound increase over the standard road noise. The window closes tight and without leakage. I prepped the surface with acetone and applied with air temp 28 C
It's nice to get air during the months of rain and I don't have to run the compressor to keep the windows clear.
No problems in the car wash yet...
pic
Your car really looks nice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts