·
Registered
810 Posts
neat-o

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
how long of a period was that over?

kind of funny if you watch towards the end the top left hand planes come in and it looks as if they see the storm and then turn back :laugh:

on my way back from Nashville Friday i ran into a big storm in a Regional Jet. they said 'a little' turbulance! ha...it felt like the ass end was doing fish tails! it was pretty damn cool seeing the thunderstorm from a different perspective, though.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Wow, they were definitely getting into the airport at a fast rate of speed. Do planes land one right after another with almost no breaks?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Ugh. That makes my head hurt just watching that. Let me tell you how bad that sucked for the guy working that sector over the airport when they all decided to turn around. That's the thing about thunderstorms, the tables turn. As a controller, you get used to people doing what you tell them, but with weather, the pilots tell YOU what they're gonna do, and you have to make it work. Those guys start turning around right into the face of the guys right behind 'em, and if you've already decended the back guys, to whatever the arrival altitude is, you're in a world of shit. Now you've got planes face to face at the same altitude. NOT a good thing.

The first time I ever worked a sector on my own (as an associate controller) the guy working the radar took 3 aircraft down to the same altitude and was trying to punch them through a little hole in some storms just like that video showed. The hole closed up around them, and they started turning around right in each other's faces. They looked like they were going down a drain or something (probably where we get the term "going down the shitter" when we get real busy). Talk about a close call, and three aircraft involved. My eyes were wide as saucers watching them turn into each other at the same altitude man.

how long of a period was that over?

kind of funny if you watch towards the end the top left hand planes come in and it looks as if they see the storm and then turn back :laugh:

on my way back from Nashville Friday i ran into a big storm in a Regional Jet. they said 'a little' turbulance! ha...it felt like the ass end was doing fish tails! it was pretty damn cool seeing the thunderstorm from a different perspective, though.
[/b]

Probably like a couple hours, 2-3 tops. Just a guess based on how the storms were moving. That's the kind of stuff I deal with every day during the summer when there's storms in the Detroit area. We have huge long streams just like that into Detroit and when storms settle over the arrival fixes (or the departure fixes, that sucks too) those guys start deviating all over the place. That's one of my most feared words: Deviate. As a controller we give up one of our main separation tools, and that's the ability to turn airplanes.

"Center, uhh, we're seeing a buildup in front of us, we're going to have to deviate left for weather." Then we say, FUCK, then key up and say "Roger, deviation left of course approved, when able proceed direct (wherever)". They do whatever they need to do and we have to work around it.

Cool vid though, but it makes me cringe just looking at it. Thunderstorms frickin' suck in the world of air traffic.

Turbulence is another real hazard. That actually can be worse on us because we can't depict it on our radar screens. Some pilots will complain, some won't. EVERYONE wants to know where the smooth air is and asks us to take them to it. If you got one smooth altitude in your airspace and 20 aircraft that all want it, you got problems :D

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have always wondered what it would be like in the tower...At pearson airport in toronto...we have an average of 1 plane leaving or dropping per minute. That's a lot of freaken organization!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Bah, forget the tower, think about the center guys! They (we) get aircraft from every direction and have to organize all the streams and line them up to give them to the tower. By the time the tower has 'em, they're in nice orderly lines. Besides, they can use 3 miles of separation while we have to use 5.

I work aircraft every day into Toronto Pearson airport. I have to coordinate constantly with Toronto Centre, those are some cool guys that work there.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Wow, how many aircraft does Fedex have in their fleet, or more importantly, what span of time was that? That had to be more than Just FedEx aircraft.

I work in the UPS air district in Louisville and during our next day air operation we have aircraft landing every 1-2 minutes at SDF from all over the world, all within a 3 hour window. Very similar to that but I had no idea FedEx had that large of a fleet.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
FedEx has a HUGE fleet. Around 650 aircraft I believe, and I think they have a couple A380's on order. However, that very well could have been all arrivals into Memphis at that time. I think it was a couple hours.

I hear that ground control on the midnight shift at Memphis tower is one of the hardest positions to work anywhere in the country. Talk about similar sounding callsigns!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
MZBuckeye
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing