Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a small pain in the ass problem with my radar all the sudden, somehow the fuse blew a while back and i got around to reinstalling it today, with a pack of 250v 3amp fuses, and all 4 blew no matter how i connected it. I ran it straight without the fuse and it worked just fine, what type of fuse should I be using? higher voltage/amp ?? guy at radio shack didn't have a clue, since the ones they gave me blew :(

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
do some research on the internet. the radar detector's owners manual should specify the current draw. i cannot imagine it's greater than 3 amps though. you may want to double check your wiring; look for shorts or worn wires. you may be shorting to ground. that would definitely cause you to blow fuses.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do some research on the internet. the radar detector's owners manual should specify the current draw. i cannot imagine it's greater than 3 amps though. you may want to double check your wiring; look for shorts or worn wires. you may be shorting to ground. that would definitely cause you to blow fuses.
[/b]

shorting to ground, meaning the ground wire not being secure enough?

Theres not really anything other than that I could have done wrong I don't think.

2 wires, the power going to the radio fuse for switched power, the other to a bolt by the fusebox that makes a perfect ground. Only the ground wasnt connected that good, is that why the fuses were blowing?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you're blowing fuses either your wire or radar detector is shorting out.

i mean the power wire, where you tap into your power source. or the wire that connects from your power source up to your radar detector. you can test it with a digital multi-meter.

disconnect the wire from the radar detector & disconnect from the fuse box, connect one DMM lead to ground and the other to the positive point of the connector at the radar detector. check for resistence, if it reads anything other than open you have trouble.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
that's no good either. if you're shorting to ground, you're drawing more current that the wire can support. this can cause the wire to melt or worse. we use fuses for a reason. they prevent use from drawing more current than is supportable.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's no good either. if you're shorting to ground, you're drawing more current that the wire can support. this can cause the wire to melt or worse. we use fuses for a reason. they prevent use from drawing more current than is supportable.
[/b]

Yeah I know, the whole using it w/o the fuse was just a test to make sure the thing still worked, lol..

Thanks for the info though. Ill mess with it more later when I get some more fuses :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts