Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Reading Topic: Radar detectors

Nah...they're probably OK. Even Valentine1 hasn't had a hardware update in a long time. If they are illegal in Canada then the older detector stealth might not be good enough for you.

The newest risk on the way is the POP radar gun stealth mode. No detector has a good repeatable detection of that. But read up on the stealth mode and you'll find out that they can't actually prosecute a ticket based solely on a stealth speed reading (because it's not as accurate).

The best thing to do about a detector is buy a Valentine. Sure, it's $400, but in 4-5 years you can sell it on Ebay for $325-350. Pretty cheap to have the best for 5 years for $50-75.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Reading Topic: Radar

You can always go for a jammer. Mine use to jammer the X (10.x GHz) and K (24.x GHz) band. But I blew up the K band. But now you also have to check for Ka (3x.x GHz) band and the Laser radar. THe jammer emits 200 mW while the old radar gun emited 40 mW, newer ones even less. However the jammer energie is spread in a larger cone than the radar gun which has for effect to reduce the effective range.

PS - Radar detector or a jammer will not help you if you do like me: passing on the right lane of a highway an unmark police car that was a Mustang GT.

·
Registered
839 Posts

or a souped up Suburu WRX, a undercover beetle, Dodge Caravan, Ford Windstar, Bimmer 330...

Undercover cops can be in any type of car these days...:(

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Radar detectors'

guess what i saw today on lougheed

a volvo 940 i think pull over a mercedes c320 coupe! busted dang

S

·
0 Posts

A word of caution to Ontario drivers considering a radar detector: the Ontario Provincial Police recently (fall 2002) started using a Spectre radar detector detector that makes all previously non detectable detectors obsolete. I found out the hard way, losing a Bel 980. I also have a Valentine One that has been put on the shelf until Valentine can come up with a fix. I would suggest doing a bit of research before making a purchase...

·
Registered
376 Posts

i never used a radar detector but many people on the forums seems to... if you get cought using that, what is the worst thing that could happen to you?

·
Registered
837 Posts

They will fine you for having an illegal device. I think it is $250 in Ontario. Plus they will confiscate the device. So if you purchased a Valentine One, that is $500+ down the drain.

·
Registered
376 Posts

ok then, i know where they usually go on the roads i use more so there is no need for me to have one! :) it's a lot of potential troubles!

but still, i'd like to see one in action someday, like in Need For Speed ya know... ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts

In Ohio, USA, they are legal. :) Radar detectors have saved my friends butts many times, but that is probally because there are so many damn cops in Ohio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts