Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can suggest a good placement for a radar detector on the 6s.
I currently have it set in the middle of the windshield....but I dont like the cord coming down over the headunit (radio) etc. Anyone recommend a better setup, or provide some pics of your setup? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by BoDEAN


            Wondering if anyone can suggest a good placement for a radar detector on the 6s.[/b]
Keep it at home. It doesn't help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Reading Topic: Radar Detector Placement?

I have mine right below my Rearview mirror. As soon as I get the balls to open up the overhead console, I will hardwire it into the 12v up there that the Autodimming mirror runs on. That little wire snake will be perfect to hide it in as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Reading Topic: Radar Detector Placement?

I was thinkin about going with one of those under the dash ones. Has anyone installed one of them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

Under dash? That seems like it would be pretty ineffective since you are already supposed to keep it clear of your wipers so it doesn't get blocked. How would it pick up anything hidden under the dash?

Bo, the hard wiring is the best way to go, unless you shell out $ for a cordless. If you don't want to do it like stew (from above); then just connect it to your fusebox and ground it somewhere around there... then run it up the edge of the dash and along the windshield till you get to the middle. Leave yourself just enough slack and all you should have is a wire that seems to run up from the center of where your windshield and dashboard meet. You can take a nice flat edge, like a screwdriver and fold a thick piece of shop towel over it so it doesn't scratch, then just push and tuck the cord between the windhield and the dash, out of sight...

Keep in mind that I don't actually have my 6 yet (long story, long wait...) so I'm going off what I've done in a Honda and a Toyota.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by first mazda


            Under dash? That seems like it would be pretty ineffective since you are already supposed to keep it clear of your wipers so it doesn't get blocked. How would it pick up anything hidden under the dash?  [/b]
I think he's referring to the ones that mount down and out of sight under the dash but have the actual sensor mounted remotely up front in the grill of the car. I've seen these on-line and in misc catalogs. Unfortunately, I've never seen a reputable manufacturer offer this set-up. They always seem to be made by no-name companies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
Reading Topic: Radar Detector Placement?

Guys i posted a thread about how i hardwired mine in my 6, its pretty simple. i had it located right under my rearview mirror as well, but since i got my system installed, the bass vibrates the glass too much there and was actually making the detector bouce up and down an rattle too much. So i relocated it to the lower left corner of my windshield behind my stickers there, still works the same, more hidden too. And still hardwired, no wires visable at all :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by kyler13

I think he's referring to the ones that mount down and out of sight under the dash but have the actual sensor mounted remotely up front in the grill of the car.  I've seen these on-line and in misc catalogs.  Unfortunately, I've never seen a reputable manufacturer offer this set-up.  They always seem to be made by no-name companies.[/b]
I stand corrected. Got $800 to blow? Here's an in-dash radar detector by Escort...

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Y5Hge...00&I=036SR7++++
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Replying to Topic 'R

QUOTE
Originally posted by kyler13


            QUOTE
Originally posted by kyler13

I think he's referring to the ones that mount down and out of sight under the dash but have the actual sensor mounted remotely up front in the grill of the car.  I've seen these on-line and in misc catalogs.  Unfortunately, I've never seen a reputable manufacturer offer this set-up.  They always seem to be made by no-name companies.[/b]
I stand corrected. Got $800 to blow? Here's an in-dash radar detector by Escort...

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Y5Hge...00&I=036SR7++++

[/b][/quote]

Another very good in-dash detector is made by the company K40. Basically there's just about no way the police know it's on your vehicle even if they hit you with Spectre detection, because the only indicators are two little LED's that get mounted in your gauges.

Personally, I'm sticking to hardwiring because I love my Valentine. Mine is actually mounted higher than most, right next to the mirror on the drivers side for maximum reception of the rear antenna. Plus if I get pulled, my registration is under the driver's side vanity mirror so if I flip the visor down before the officer gets to the car he won't see the detector.

Oh, and I would avoid cordless detectors. Everything I've ever read says they're less sensitive than a wired counterpart.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by moocat


            QUOTE
Originally posted by BoDEAN


            Wondering if anyone can suggest a good placement for a radar detector on the 6s.[/b]
Keep it at home. It doesn't help.
[/b][/quote]

Not true. Radar detectors could help if they measure the speed of a car somewhere ahead of you. Radar is radio waves.

Laser detectors on the other hand is completely worthless. At the moment they detect the laser, that means your caught. Laser deflectors or laser jammers work, though.

Nevermind that, those things are illegal here. Aren't they where you live?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

Possession is illegal in DC, use is illegal in Virginia. Use is illegal in any commercial motor vehicle. Besides that, they are legal to use.

They don't help. The only time radar detectors can help is when a cop is hiding under a bridge reading the newspaper, with the radar zapping everything coming his way. Now, the cops are legally required to visually observe a car to be speeding, estimate the car's speed, and use radar to "confirm" the car's speed using instant-on. Therefore unless he zaps someone close to you, you will have no advance warning. The best method is to not be the fastest car on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er


Laser detectors on the other hand is completely worthless. At the moment they detect the laser, that means your caught. Laser deflectors or laser jammers work, though.

Nevermind that, those things are illegal here. Aren't they where you live?[/b]
I'm a little foggy on this, but I read some propaganda somewhere a long time ago that said laser guns are only effective at 1/4 mile distance or less for cops to track your speed. However, a detector can see the beam up to 2 miles away AND it's much wider the further away from it you are thus increasing your chances of picking it up. This, of course, would suggest that a laser detector is much more effective than most think. I'll see if I can find this info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

i use my old 3 yrs uniden radar detector
why?? when the thing goes berserk for no reason it reminds me to drive slow :hoho :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by kyler13


            QUOTE
Originally posted by Steve 6er


Laser detectors on the other hand is completely worthless. At the moment they detect the laser, that means your caught. Laser deflectors or laser jammers work, though.

Nevermind that, those things are illegal here. Aren't they where you live?[/b]
I'm a little foggy on this, but I read some propaganda somewhere a long time ago that said laser guns are only effective at 1/4 mile distance or less for cops to track your speed. However, a detector can see the beam up to 2 miles away AND it's much wider the further away from it you are thus increasing your chances of picking it up. This, of course, would suggest that a laser detector is much more effective than most think. I'll see if I can find this info.

[/b][/quote]

Did you ever see a laser pointer? Sure the beam gets wider, but over the distance of a 1/4 mile, we're talking the size of a dime. They point it at the registration plate. There's no spread whatsoever of the beam that anyone can detect. All other info you may have is pure marketing of a useless product, I'm afraid...

But please post any info you can have on the matter, don't just take my word for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by moocat


            Possession is illegal in DC, use is illegal in Virginia. Use is illegal in any commercial motor vehicle. Besides that, they are legal to use.

They don't help. The only time radar detectors can help is when a cop is hiding under a bridge reading the newspaper, with the radar zapping everything coming his way. Now, the cops are legally required to visually observe a car to be speeding, estimate the car's speed, and use radar to "confirm" the car's speed using instant-on. Therefore unless he zaps someone close to you, you will have no advance warning. The best method is to not be the fastest car on the road.[/b]
Nothing personal man, but do you own a radar detector?

I certainly agree with your statement that it's not intelligent to be the fastest car on the road. But, as a radar detector owner, I can say that probably 75% or more times my speed has been measured (even on highways); it hasn't been instant-on. Just on my last road trip (Friday); I rode behind two State Troopers on individual occasions that left their units on while they were scoping for people in the oncoming lanes.

Even with instant-on, most detectors nowadays have a range of greater than 1.5 miles. Unless, like you said, you're the only car on the road, there's a good chance that instant-on officer will hit somebody in front of you before you get to the trap.

Is instant-on your biggest radar threat? Yes. But to say radar detectors don't help....hmmm. Let me put a Valentine in your car for a week and then see if you don't put up a fight when I come to take it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

Yes, I owned a Valentine 1. It helped me. However, it's entirely impractical where I live - the NYPD tend to use laser and instant-on. Plus it falsed way, way, WAY too much in my area.

I used it for one long road trip and then sold it on eBay. If you're gonna get a radar detector, anything less than a V1 is worthless especially the $50 Circuit City/Radio Shack models. I just think there are bigger threats than cops blindly running radar. I guess it depends where you live. The only times I was pulled over when I had my V1 during my recent road trip was in Tampa, Florida when I was paced by the FHP, and in Richmond, Virginia when I was radared - when I had the V1 off and stashed away, a big mistake on my part.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,898 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by stew560


            I have mine right below my Rearview mirror. As soon as I get the balls to open up the overhead console, I will hardwire it into the 12v up there that the Autodimming mirror runs on. That little wire snake will be perfect to hide it in as well![/b]
Isn't that a little too high? Remember the radar beam gets aimed at the front license plate for the best reflectivity. Seems to me that I would want it as close to that plate as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

If all police departments used Laser and Instant-On, radar detectors WOULD be useless. The only reason I think they still use the K-Band Radar is because it can be utilized from within the patrol car (behind glass) and while moving, neither of which you can do with Laser.

The reason Radar is easy to detect is because the microwave beam can be as wide as three lanes of traffic. With all of that signal bouncing off cars and such, your detector picks up the signal easily. You will only detect the Laser if it is being aimed directly at you, when it's too late.

QUOTE
Plus it falsed way, way, WAY too much in my area.[/b]
That's probably the X-Band Radar that is used in many many buildings. I remember 10 years ago there were still a few police departments that used X-Band, that was always a surprise.

QUOTE
and in Richmond, Virginia when I was radared - when I had the V1 off and stashed away, a big mistake on my part[/b]
Actually since Radar detectors are illegal in VA it was a very good thing that you had it stashed away. There are actually "Radar detector detectors" so to speak, which can be used to determine that you are using one even if it's hidden. Your unit is not designed to emit a signal like a radar gun is, but it still has some emissions which are detectable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Absolut
Isn't that a little too high?  Remember the radar beam gets aimed at the front license plate for the best reflectivity.  Seems to me that I would want it as close to that plate as possible.[/b]
I believe that's why many people use the smokey license plates covers, it nullifies the reflective properties of the plate. Probably illegal in some or most states. If not for that reason, then for the reason that it's hard to read the plates except at certain angles, something that police certainly can't be happy with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Radar Detector Placement?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by RustyBawl

Actually since Radar detectors are illegal in VA it was a very good thing that you had it stashed away.  There are actually "Radar detector detectors" so to speak, which can be used to determine that you are using one even if it's hidden.  Your unit is not designed to emit a signal like a radar gun is, but it still has some emissions which are detectable.[/b]
All current radar detectors are invisible (called VG2 Stealth) to anything the cops can use to electronically detect your radar detector. The only threat in a state where they are illegal is if he sees you taking it down as you get pulled over, or you try to keep it concealed but he specifically looks for it through the window of your car.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top