Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the rack and pinion steering?

Usually at slow speeds while turning, I have been hearing an odd noise. The noise sounds like metal on metal.

My first thought was I had a problem with the front brakes.

After closely listening to this annoyance, I had ruled out the brakes. I took my car to a dealership, where they diagnosed it to be the rack and pinion gear lubricate. I was told the rack and pinion gear lubricate from the factory was not heavy enough and would wear away over time, and a technical bulletin was already issued for this exact problem by Mazda. However, after quickly checking this site I did not find any technical bulletin for this issue.

I am extremely skeptical of the dealer explanation. It seems too far fetched for my liking, so has anyone had this same problem or know of someone who has?

2004 Mazda6

·
Registered
863 Posts
if its fixed be happy. mine has been in the shop numerous times with similar problems and they have not yet fixed it. they havnt done anything with the lubricant tho.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same noise with about 68k on the car. It is in a local shop right now seeing what is up with it. When i find out what is going on I will repost with an update. It does sound like metal on metal. I first thought it was in springs or shocks but that has already been ruled out.

·
Registered
863 Posts
only when i cut the wheel all the way in one direction untill it locks while moving slowly will i hear the a high pitched noise....
[/b]
thats most likely your power steering pump. Normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses.

I don't believe it is the steering wheel pump, because it does only happen in one direction as sexy6s mentioned. Plus, I am familiar with the noise of a steering wheel pump, and pretty certain that it isn't that.

I guess that I'm the only one with this situation. I rechecked the 6tech messages today more closely, and not one technical bulletin was listed for this problem. Clearly that dealer lied to me!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you for your responses.

I don't believe it is the steering wheel pump, because it does only happen in one direction as sexy6s mentioned. Plus, I am familiar with the noise of a steering wheel pump, and pretty certain that it isn't that.

I guess that I'm the only one with this situation. I rechecked the 6tech messages today more closely, and not one technical bulletin was listed for this problem. Clearly that dealer lied to me!!
[/b]
I have the same noise coming from the side of the car when I turn slowly into a parking space so you are not the onley one. I will take my 6 to the dealer over the weekend and find out what's up.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have my car at the dealership right now, with the very same symptoms (high pitched moan, at slow speed (~ 5mph), while turning and applying the brake). I was told that my problem is associated with the positioning of the brake pad within the caliper and there is a TSB that currently addresses this issue. There is a hardware kit the dealership had to order that will (with crossed fingers) fix the problem.

I am scheduled to pick the car up today and will post if it does indeed fix the moan.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
That's funny. Mine's at the dealership today because I wanted to get them to investigate a creaking noise coming from the engine area. Of course it wouldn't do it at first, but then the service manager started turning the wheel left and right while the car was sitting there idling and the wheel would shudder and the car made the creaking noise. I wonder if it's related to what you guys are talking about. They're fixing it today, so I'll post what the problem/fix was.

·
Registered
863 Posts
there are several different issues being discussed here i think.

first:
If you turn the steering wheel in any car all the way to lock either left or right, the steering pump gets very stressed, and makes a high pitch sound. kind of sounds like air under very very high pressure. this is normal in every power steering equipped car i have ever seen.

second:
Ah the brake moan issue. The noise happens when turning at slow speeds and while brakes are applied. I have heardthis is caused by the brake pads shifting slightly, letting the wear indicatior scrape the rotor as if to let you know you need new pads. This usually happens when turning into parking spots or similar situations. The TSB replaces some hardware somewhere in the brake to fix this issue.

third:
the steering wheel noise. If this is what i think it is, the noise happens anywhere in the steering travel just off of center. it is sort of a knocking/clunking sound/feeling. Mine is much more prevelent in reverse. My dealer replaced my entire steering rack and the problem still exists. I have heard several people mention the stering column needing lubricated. that is probably what your dealer did for you. For them, that fixed the problem, and supposedely there was a TSB in the works. Perhaps its been finalized? My car will probably go into the shop within the next few days. Hope there is a TSB so this can be taken care of.

·
Registered
680 Posts
M6T, I had the same problem you described. It is most likely your steering column. Some people have had their steering column re-lubed, others have had the whole thing replaced. To my suprise, simply tilting/telescoping the steering column through it's full range solved the problem for me.

Read this thread. It discusses that whole issue.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...95&hl=front+end

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fly757, thanks for the information and link. At least I'm not the only one who has had this problem. It is kind of funny to hear all the different solutions attempted by all the different dealerships around the country. The TSB link that you find in the linked thread you sent is for the a problem with the springs and not the steering column. I still can't seem to find any TSB for the steering column, although as most folks were saying in the prior thread it is a problem Mazda is aware is happening. In fact, the dealer I went to told me that Mazda was aware of the issue and that there is a TSB on the problem.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Got a call from the dealer today and he said they are replacing the struts. Has to keep it over the weekend b/c he didn't have a left front strut in stock. No biggie, they've got me in a loaner (Nissan Xterra). I'll give full details after I pick the car up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I suggest trying what I did first before you waste time going to the dealer, giving up your car, etc. That is, tilt and telescope your steering wheel through its entire range of motion. I know of at least two other people who said that worked for them.

My dealer performed the spring insulator TSB on my car. That didn't fix it, and I bet changing your struts won't fix yours either. If you are absolutely going to the dealer, then make 'em re-lube your entire steering column. Be firm with your request! Don't let them give you any BS excuses about how it's your tire pressure, or that it's normal. That's a bunch of garbage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all just read this thread I'm a newbie with a mazda 6 katano 07 but low miles 56k when turning right I hear a groan of metal on metal rubbing for a couple of seconds then stopping? Haven't a clue whether bearings rotors calipers brakes struts steering column rack and pinion? I will have to go through first with bearing check

·
Rally Racer
2,363 Posts
Hi all just read this thread I'm a newbie with a mazda 6 katano 07 but low miles 56k when turning right I hear a groan of metal on metal rubbing for a couple of seconds then stopping? Haven't a clue whether bearings rotors calipers brakes struts steering column rack and pinion? I will have to go through first with bearing check
Hello. Are you talking about turning right while driving?
<if so>
Does the noise change with speed?
Does the noise stop on its own?
Do you have to turn all the way right or just a bit?
Is the noise a constant pitch/rate/tempo?

·
Registered
14 Posts
<if so>
Hi
Yes some good questions. I will try to answer them. When turning quite a bit at a right angle between say 3mph to 8mph the noise starts then stops within 2 seconds just like a rusty gate opening on hinges . With speed I can't hear it

·
Registered
14 Posts
<if so>
Just had another look and I can't quite see but feeling the calipers the front brake meat seems really low? I have mot next month so maybe it will come back as low and I'll replace them ?

·
Rally Racer
2,363 Posts
Just had another look and I can't quite see but feeling the calipers the front brake meat seems really low? I have mot next month so maybe it will come back as low and I'll replace them ?
A low disk pad could definitely make the noise you describe. If it is metal to metal then your inspection should reveal it. It would also be scraping every time you press the brakes. It could be as simple as a backing plate that has been bent a bit.
Anyhow, good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts