Mazda 6 Forums banner

R&T and C&D Feb/Mar 2006

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JoeyC 
#1 ·
I did a search and didn't see where these specific magazine articles had been compared. One was a comparo with daily drivers like the VW GLI and Accord EX. The Mazda crushed the other cars in performance but was faulted for poor luxury features and cosmetics/trim. It used the list price as the comparison for the other cars. Also complained about the ride being too firm. I thought it was a fair comparison, although their use of list price and emphasis on luxury tilted the results in a much different direction than I would have.

The R&T article has been discussed before: obvious symptoms of severe power loss glossed over by the "we could only get 91 octane" remark. I'm surprised that Mazda didn't argue the results with them. Anyway, just for fun (I know it's not valid) I plugged the numbers for the C&D comparo into the grid for the R&T results (the C&D results were pretty typical of a healthy MS6 with 0-60 at 5.4, 1/4 mile 14.0 @99mph and skidpad of 0.86). The Mazda would have scored 195/200 points, easily trumping the Subaru Spec.B even giving it the track win. Overall it would have come 3rd, and price dependent would have been second to the Spec.B. I want a recount!!! Anyway, I suppose we should thank the tepid reviews for the very advantageous pricing that many of us are experiencing now. BUT, how can the Mazdaspeed division look itself in the eye in the morning when its baby is being dumped on over and over because of BAD PROGRAMMING? :swearin: (sorry, long day, just a bit emotional, need to drive a bit... :drive: ).

See less See more
#2 ·
I did a search and didn't see where these specific magazine articles had been compared. One was a comparo with daily drivers like the VW GLI and Accord EX. The Mazda crushed the other cars in performance but was faulted for poor luxury features and cosmetics/trim. It used the list price as the comparison for the other cars. Also complained about the ride being too firm. I thought it was a fair comparison, although their use of list price and emphasis on luxury tilted the results in a much different direction than I would have.

The R&T article has been discussed before: obvious symptoms of severe power loss glossed over by the "we could only get 91 octane" remark. I'm surprised that Mazda didn't argue the results with them. Anyway, just for fun (I know it's not valid) I plugged the numbers for the C&D comparo into the grid for the R&T results (the C&D results were pretty typical of a healthy MS6 with 0-60 at 5.4, 1/4 mile 14.0 @99mph and skidpad of 0.86). The Mazda would have scored 195/200 points, easily trumping the Subaru Spec.B even giving it the track win. Overall it would have come 3rd, and price dependent would have been second to the Spec.B. I want a recount!!! Anyway, I suppose we should thank the tepid reviews for the very advantageous pricing that many of us are experiencing now. BUT, how can the Mazdaspeed division look itself in the eye in the morning when its baby is being dumped on over and over because of BAD PROGRAMMING? :swearin: (sorry, long day, just a bit emotional, need to drive a bit... :drive: ).
[/b]
Do you have a link to the C&D article?

#4 ·
#5 ·
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10...zdaspeed-6.html

"The car is incredibly loud at freeway cruising, and sounds like a super loud vaccum"

Thats the exact opposite of this car imo, this is one of the quietest cars I have ever been in. They were on crack, or their test car was broken.
[/b]
Maybe someone put a CAI on their test car? ;)

I agree - mine was in fact a bit too quiet before I got my CAI.

#6 ·
Yes I saw that C&D article as well. The Speed 6 seems like a bit of a misfit with those other cars which is the main reason why it ranked 4/5 in their rankings. It tromped all of them when it came down to performance, at least they gave it that...But knocking it for "firm ride" and "engine noise" when the car is specifically designed to have both...come on!

#7 ·
Yes I saw that C&D article as well. The Speed 6 seems like a bit of a misfit with those other cars which is the main reason why it ranked 4/5 in their rankings. It tromped all of them when it came down to performance, at least they gave it that...But knocking it for "firm ride" and "engine noise" when the car is specifically designed to have both...come on!
[/b]
Frankly I fail to see the reasoning behind the Speed6 even being in that test. :huh:

#8 ·
Frankly I fail to see the reasoning behind the Speed6 even being in that test. :huh:
[/b]
I kind of agree. Spec B, sure...maybe even a regular Legacy GT, but come on, an Accord...a G6, you've got to be kidding me. :barf:

When I was buying, I considered an Acura TL (bit nicer than an Accord), Saab 93 Aero, Legacy Spec B, and an Infinity G35. All were nice...and for what I feel, basically in the same class (albeit some more lux than go).

I can say there were some aspects of the Subie that I found better (interior color, touch screen nav, momo wheel, and very nice rims), but there are things that it lack too (6 speed, Xenon, interior size, HP and torque compaired to the Mazda, and sirius). As for speed test, we'll lose to it 0-60 due to the extra shift we need, total speed really needs determined side by side due to running conditions. It will be interesting to see what the new Spec runs with a six speed...

So, I can see why some would pick the Subie over the MS6...I can also see it the other way around (read THIS review of both)

As for C&D, I've been a subsciber for about 15 years, and there's a few things I can tell you...

1) You will not win a contest unless your vehicle has a Honda, BMW, or Audi badge on it (joking of course, but they're always up there).
2) If it's a sports sedan and you're the fastest, it does not give you victory.
3) If it's an american car...you just earned last place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.