Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is no definite answer to this question and everyone will have their own opinion, but for those of you running fully synthetic oil in your cars, how often do you change it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I still go by the book. Every 8000kms or 5000 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will change every 4-5000miles w/ fully synthetic oil. if i use the syn. blend i will change every 3000miles.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I use M1 5w20 or 0w20, and change it every 6 months or 5k miles. I can't even seem to get to 5k in that period, so it's every 6 months with a K&N filter.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've been changing every 5K miles regardless of time (usually a little less than 6 months). This latest change I'm wating to between 6500 and 7500 miles - about 6 months this time - and still within the period required by the maintenance guide for normal duty (Schedule I).

Page 8-3 inthe 2004 maintenance manual.

Follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions
apply.
If any do apply, follow Schedule 2 (Canada and Puerto Rico residents follow Schedule 2).
• Repeated short-distance driving
• Driving in dusty conditions
• Driving with extended use of brakes
• Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used
• Driving on rough or muddy roads
• Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
• Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
[/b]
Calls for 7500 miles or 6 months.

None of the above apply to my driving.

Schedule II calls for 5000 miles or 4 months.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Bout 7k miles. If you are worried about it, run your oil for 5k or 7k or what interval you want to use. Then do UOA and see if the results are normal. This of course will depend on if you have a warrenty left or not, cuz they want you to change it at given times.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
7500 miles. You can see my UOA here. It shows that full synthetic oil can go at least 7500 miles with no problem.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7500 miles. You can see my UOA here. It shows that full synthetic oil can go at least 7500 miles with no problem.
[/b]
Two more questions now....first, what does UOA stand for?

Second, what filters do you prefer to use with your synthetic oil? I have used Mobil 1 and K & N filters in the past with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. Although, when I was at Walmart today buying Mobil 1 oil, I noticed that the Motorcraft filters are only a little over $3 which sound a lot better than the $11 or $12 for the K & N filter. What do you think about using the Motorcraft filter with synthetic oil?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Second, what filters do you prefer to use with your synthetic oil? I have used Mobil 1 and K & N filters in the past with Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. Although, when I was at Walmart today buying Mobil 1 oil, I noticed that the Motorcraft filters are only a little over $3 which sound a lot better than the $11 or $12 for the K & N filter. What do you think about using the Motorcraft filter with synthetic oil?
[/b]
UOA: Used Oil Analysis ...

If you are already spending money on full syn. oil like Mobil1 then might as well spend the extra money and get a K&N or Mobil1 high quality oil filter ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know that opinions are like buttholes - everyone has one, but IMO - the primary reason for going to a synthetic versus dino or blends is to extend your oil change interval. Based on experience with UOA, I think 5000 miles is extremely conservative for a full synthetic. Protection properties are virtually unchanged at that interval. As I understand it, many European manufacturers recommend 10K intervals from the factory with full syn.

Personally, I intend to do a 3750 mile service interval with a synthetic blend, although I'm fairly confident that even a decent quality dyno oil with a quality additive package like Castrol GTX can easily do 3750 without significant protection property loss.

FWIW, I think the key to keeping an engine protected, even under severe duty, is not neccessarily which oil you use as much as it is sticking with the same brand and type. The goal being to maintain the benefit of the additive package the manufacturer uses.

Of course, if you drive in consistent stop and go conditions and do mostly short trips, you should definitely go with a full syn and keep your intervals conservative (5K).

If you want to do some interesting reading on the subject, from experts in the field, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
919 Posts

[/b]
K&N filter HP 2010 - 8.50 each - AJUSA.com

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
K&N filter HP 2010 - 8.50 each - AJUSA.com
[/b]
I buy my filter from them too. I buy several at a time cause they give coupon for extra 5% off for order above $50 + free shipping.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Full synthetic oil are supposed to last longer. I'll change it every 5000 if I'm not that busy. But 8000 is still cool, just don't do a lot of reving should be fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
just got my first K&N oil filter--used a Mazda filter for the first oil change. Only $3 more than the Mazda filter. Looks like much better quality, and you can't beat the fact that you don't need an oil filter wrench to put one on.

Going to put Royal Purple in the wagon tomorrow. Will I notice much of a difference over Mobil1? Got a smokin deal on it from my local parts store.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont know about the K and N filter, but motorcraft filters are pretty good. Years ago autozone used to have a display that was a few filters cut open... The motorcraft had more filter inside than the other brands. With more filter inside, you can get more gunk out... But K and N might have just as much if not more... But if it is a huge price difference, as long as you keep up with the changing of it, the motorcraft will be fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts