Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the front bumper HAS to come off to install H1 HID? Or is it possible to do it while it is still on? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Definitely possible to do it on, but it makes it much more difficult. Unless you have small hands, I would suggest taking the bumper off and then the headlight lamp units. It makes it much more easier.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Unless you don't plan on hiding any of the wiring, ballasts, or ignitors you MIGHT be able to do it. Thats also if you have tiny ass hands and can get the bulb into the housing, locked in without touching it and get the wires all connected without seeing what your doing. I'd pay to see someone do a HID install without taking the bumper off and taking the headlight assembly's out as well.

If your attempting a HID install, removing the bumper should be a piece of cake for you.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
how much will you pay to see it lol. if it's enough to get a new pair of bulbs i'll do it next week when i get my hid's lol.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Take the bumper off...it is practically the only way to do it right. If you dont take the bumper off, there is a HUGE possiblity of scratching the bulbs or at least getting something on the bulb itself, which will destroy the bulb quickly. Taking off the bumper takes approx 10 minutes by yourself the first time you do it...then about 5 minutes after that. With the bumper off you can hide all the wiring, mount the ballasts, and do everything right. It is a LOT easier to do it with the bumper off....shoot I just replaced my fog lights and took the bumper off...I got tired of dealing with the small space and scratching my hands.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The bumper is really easy to remove. I wouldn't consider doing an HID install without removing it. The time that you'd save leaving the bumper on would be wasted 5-fold trying to work in the tighter space. That and you increase the risk of messing something up.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't plan on doing the install myself, I don't mess around with electrical work. I was just asking because I first took it to Tweeter to have them install it, and they said they wouldn't do it because the front bumper HAD to come off and they didn't want to "risk breaking something by taking it off" ...dumbasses. So I took it somewhere else and they said they could do it without taking the bumper off. I was just wondering why Tweeter said it had to come off and the other place said it didn't. I'm having them installed tomorrow morning and I am a little scared now because I didn't really put an emphasis when I asked him if he was 100% positive he could do it without scratching the bulbs in that little space. Granted, the guy is a professional and does HIDs all the time, but I dunno if any other car is as cramped under the hood as ours.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Has he looked under the hood of your car or another Mazda 6, or did you just ask him on the phone if he could do it without removing the bumper? If you just asked him on the phone, he may be be familiar with the vehicle and just assumed he could do it without removing the bumper, as you can with many other cars. I don't blame Tweeter for not wanting to break anything. HID bulbs are $150/set and dropping, scratching, or physically breaking them is not covered by the bulbs' warranty.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has he looked under the hood of your car or another Mazda 6, or did you just ask him on the phone if he could do it without removing the bumper? If you just asked him on the phone, he may be be familiar with the vehicle and just assumed he could do it without removing the bumper, as you can with many other cars. I don't blame Tweeter for not wanting to break anything. HID bulbs are $150/set and dropping, scratching, or physically breaking them is not covered by the bulbs' warranty.
[/b]
I took it to the place and he actually looked under the hood and also looked at the bulbs, and he said he would be able to do it.

If they're not covered from scratches, dropping, or breaking them, then what are they covered for? Just from blowing out themselves or something?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
bumper has to come off.... wish our 6 is like cobalt ss..... just some bolts and headlights off.. lol.. but seriously, bumper has to come off....

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
bumper has to come off.... wish our 6 is like cobalt ss..... just some bolts and headlights off.. lol.. but seriously, bumper has to come off....
[/b]

If you want to risk damaging the bulbs,you can try without taking the bumper off.If you have a lift.the bumper comes off in 15 minutes or less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts