Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bingo. I can get the bolt off rather quickly also, but a little valve to open is 100% mess free every time and there's no risk to over/under-torquing the pan bolt.
I find it impossible to happen to a Fumoto valve, unless that stone is so big accompanied by a thousand Newton force. If that ever happened, you will surely have a bigger problem aside from the oil.

I doubt that you have seen a Fumoto valve. I also have the same thought, I was thinking that it might be so easy to drain the oil that it might do an accidental discharge. When I bought one, I saw that you have to be intentional for the oil to drain.

The one from Scotty looks good, including the one you posted from eBay. However, I believe both will "impede" the flow of oil adding about three more minutes of your time draining the oil. It might be too much of a bother for you to have that extra time. And so we go back to the traditional drain plug which has and had been used.

Speaking of drain plugs, I hope you don't intend to use those pneumatic tools. If you meant it as a joke, I find it funny. That will be great as meme!

For the sake of those who are reading this and new to doing things on their own car, never use a power tool if you are just doing an oil change. For any other kind of work, it has it uses but not for an oil change.

I'd like to reiterate, again and again and again, never use a power assisted tool for an oil change. Just use an ordinary wrench.

I hope my English teacher won't see this, how redundant I am when a simple emphasis would have been sufficient.
So far I have only used manual tools for oil change and that might still be the fastest way as one doesn't have to charge the compressor. Thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I find it impossible to happen to a Fumoto valve, unless that stone is so big accompanied by a thousand Newton force. If that ever happened, you will surely have a bigger problem aside from the oil.

I doubt that you have seen a Fumoto valve. I also have the same thought, I was thinking that it might be so easy to drain the oil that it might do an accidental discharge. When I bought one, I saw that you have to be intentional for the oil to drain.

The one from Scotty looks good, including the one you posted from eBay. However, I believe both will "impede" the flow of oil adding about three more minutes of your time draining the oil. It might be too much of a bother for you to have that extra time. And so we go back to the traditional drain plug which has and had been used.

Speaking of drain plugs, I hope you don't intend to use those pneumatic tools. If you meant it as a joke, I find it funny. That will be great as meme!

For the sake of those who are reading this and new to doing things on their own car, never use a power tool if you are just doing an oil change. For any other kind of work, it has it uses but not for an oil change.

I'd like to reiterate, again and again and again, never use a power assisted tool for an oil change. Just use an ordinary wrench.

I hope my English teacher won't see this, how redundant I am when a simple emphasis would have been sufficient.
I see that Fumoto valve has a big opening inside the ball.

The eBay valve also has a big opening inside and a safety mechanism to prevent accidental opening. See
Product Automotive tire Font Line Output device

I am ordering the eBay valve and update here on how it goes. I purchased a brass gas valve from eBay for $4 and it's pretty good quality. See picture. So Fumoto seems a bit overpriced to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I am ordering the eBay valve and update here on how it goes. I purchased a brass gas valve from eBay for $4 and it's pretty good quality. See picture. So Fumoto seems a bit overpriced to me.

I have to agree that it's "overpriced" but the way it was designed, being compact and ease of use, it seems to be fair. It doesn't look like an ordinary valve and that looks "pretty" for me.

I think I might add this valve to my "useless things I did to my car". I often pay someone to do the job for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have to agree that it's "overpriced" but the way it was designed, being compact and ease of use, it seems to be fair. It doesn't look like an ordinary valve and that looks "pretty" for me.

I think I might add this valve to my "useless things I did to my car". I often pay someone to do the job for me.
Many times I get the oil change done almost for free as a mystery shopper since they reimburse you to review the experience. That helps the oil change places improve as well. But I don't see very many mystery shopping assignments for oil change any more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dude, you dont deserve to own a car. Thats the nicest thing i can say right now...
Really? I saved my car from going to the junkyard when one mechanic shop couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and the other diagnosed it incorrectly and gave $3000 estimate. I fixed it for less than $40 and it runs like new now. I can easily afford a new Tesla but chose to fix this to minimize expense and waste. I have owned this car for 18 yrs :) How does one deserve to own a car?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts