Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
You install your oil pan drain plug with an impact driver?
I haven't done mine in a while and I used manual tools only before. But I now have a few tools that I think can be used. Cordless 3/8" 90 ft-lb impact driver, 3/8" 40 ft-lb air ratchet and air 3/8 70 ft-lb butterfly impact wrench. I think air ratchet should be good enough for both drain plug and filter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just loosen the filter enough so you can turn it by hand and put a gallon ziplock bag up around it, then loosen it up, let the extra oil drain, and spin it off. Unlike many vehicles there's enough room to do this easily and it makes the job nearly 100% mess-free.
Wow, this is a great tip. I am going to try this next time I change my oil.

Now, can anyone tell me where to purchase the correct-sized filter wrench adaptor for the Mazda filter? I usually have to get out my largest set of pliers in order to get the thing loosened, because all the filter wrenches which are supposed to fit the Mazda filter just slip right off, even though they seem to be the right size.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
50 Posts
I haven't done mine in a while and I used manual tools only before. But I now have a few tools that I think can be used. Cordless 3/8" 90 ft-lb impact driver, 3/8" 40 ft-lb air ratchet and air 3/8 70 ft-lb butterfly impact wrench. I think air ratchet should be good enough for both drain plug and filter.
Please only use hand tools for the drain bolt and the filter, please.

·
Registered
154 Posts
All you have to do is push the valve and it pours right out and it is easier to direct into your pan.
I will look into it since it makes it easier to direct oil into the pan. But removing the filter is the harder part since it takes some force to loosen and maneuver it around the front pre-cat without spilling the oil.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
50 Posts
I will look into it since it makes it easier to direct oil into the pan. But removing the filter is the harder part since it takes some force to loosen and maneuver it around the front pre-cat without spilling the oil.
I have never done it but the gallon plastic bag around the filter sounds like it makes it much easier.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have never done it but the gallon plastic bag around the filter sounds like it makes it much easier.
Yes the plastic zip lock seems like a good idea. I found a cheaper alternative to Fumoto valve for < $10 Fumoto F106N Replacement Oil drain valve with nipple M14 – 1.5 W/ Nipple | eBay However, I read that flow rate through the valve is slower than removing the whole bolt. It would take only a few seconds to remove and install the bolt using an air ratchet so the slower drain rate may end up costing more time with the valve.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
50 Posts
Yes the plastic zip lock seems like a good idea. I found a cheaper alternative to Fumoto valve for < $10 Fumoto F106N Replacement Oil drain valve with nipple M14 – 1.5 W/ Nipple | eBay However, I read that flow rate through the valve is slower than removing the whole bolt. It would take only a few seconds to remove and install the bolt using an air ratchet so the slower drain rate may end up costing more time with the valve.
I would spend the extra and get the Fumoto.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would spend the extra and get the Fumoto.
The flow rate will still be slower than removing the bolt though. I don't think I ever had oil stream from drain plug spill on the floor since the waste oil container's catch area is big enough to allow for margin of error in placement.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
50 Posts
The flow rate will still be slower than removing the bolt though. I don't think I ever had oil stream from drain plug spill on the floor since the waste oil container's catch area is big enough to allow for margin of error in placement.
I think the valve is more the convenience of not having the remove the bolt and being able to direct the flow. I am sure that the flow is not significantly slower.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
With an impact driver one can remove/install the oil pan bolt very quickly I think. Why even install a Fumoto valve?
All you have to do is push the valve and it pours right out and it is easier to direct into your pan.
Bingo. I can get the bolt off rather quickly also, but a little valve to open is 100% mess free every time and there's no risk to over/under-torquing the pan bolt.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
I think the valve is more the convenience of not having the remove the bolt and being able to direct the flow. I am sure that the flow is not significantly slower.
Flow is about 25% slower from what I've seen. So it takes 8 minutes to drain rather than 5. No big deal for the convenience of taking approximately 5 seconds and zero tools to get it started/stopped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aside from the cleanliness advantage of the Fumoto at oil change time; it makes it super easy and mess free to get just an ounce for an oil sample, or drain out the quart of overfill you put in because you weren’t paying attention to what you were doing. ;)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The Ebay valve has a beefier lever. I am afraid if stone hits the Fumoto valve's petcock on a highway you could have all the oil on the road and a seized engine.
I find it impossible to happen to a Fumoto valve, unless that stone is so big accompanied by a thousand Newton force. If that ever happened, you will surely have a bigger problem aside from the oil.

I doubt that you have seen a Fumoto valve. I also have the same thought, I was thinking that it might be so easy to drain the oil that it might do an accidental discharge. When I bought one, I saw that you have to be intentional for the oil to drain.

The one from Scotty looks good, including the one you posted from eBay. However, I believe both will "impede" the flow of oil adding about three more minutes of your time draining the oil. It might be too much of a bother for you to have that extra time. And so we go back to the traditional drain plug which has and had been used.

Speaking of drain plugs, I hope you don't intend to use those pneumatic tools. If you meant it as a joke, I find it funny. That will be great as meme!

For the sake of those who are reading this and new to doing things on their own car, never use a power tool if you are just doing an oil change. For any other kind of work, it has it uses but not for an oil change.

I'd like to reiterate, again and again and again, never use a power assisted tool for an oil change. Just use an ordinary wrench.

I hope my English teacher won't see this, how redundant I am when a simple emphasis would have been sufficient.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts