Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I missed it but I tried searching with no success. I know many of you do your own oil changes but does anyone recommend going to a quick oil change place or continue with the stealership?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. From the other oil topic I found it sounded as if could be a bad idea. Wanted some input from the group before a stupid decision was made. Lol.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm missing something here so I'll add another "stupid question", what's this so called "quick oil change"?

Is this the one where they use compressed air to force out the oil quicker?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No no. I am meaning the quick stop shops. Ones where you pull in and in 10 mins you’re out the door. Never leave your car etc.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
Sure, you can go to them and you'll probably be okay, but I can promise they won't do the best job (or even a good one, at that).

Many places won't even replace the filter, which is just plain wrong and kind of defeats the purpose of changing the oil.

Snag a Fumoto valve and do it yourself in like 15-20 minutes and be 100% certain it was done right :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
No no. I am meaning the quick stop shops. Ones where you pull in and in 10 mins you’re out the door. Never leave your car etc.

I've never heard of such shops on this side of the world. I think Toyota made it something similar, like 30 minutes to 60 minutes.

As mentioned above, I'll stay away from those shops. Labor is not so expensive here, so a very few people do these things on their own. It's like $10 or so, and they do the job right. It's another story for the stealer's ship.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah. Down here, in FL we have a quick oil change place on almost every corner and most gas stations. It’s crazy.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,851 Posts
Oh yeah. Down here, in FL we have a quick oil change place on almost every corner and most gas stations. It’s crazy.

Service economy.
Every time a partner or friend has used one of those places something was not done correctly or broken. Filled a quart low, broken cabin air cleaner door (when specifically told additional services were NOT wanted), Oil drain plug not tightened and leaked all but one quart of oil out while driving, CV boot slit with a knife and offered a discount replacement (this was a Brand new OEM Toyota axle that they cut too) the list goes on.
I would rather change my own oil in the rain, at night, on the side of the expressway than go to one of those places.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Service economy.
Every time a partner or friend has used one of those places something was not done correctly or broken. Filled a quart low, broken cabin air cleaner door (when specifically told additional services were NOT wanted), Oil drain plug not tightened and leaked all but one quart of oil out while driving, CV boot slit with a knife and offered a discount replacement (this was a Brand new OEM Toyota axle that they cut too) the list goes on.
I would rather change my own oil n the rain, at night, on the side of the expressway than go to one of those places.
Crooked shops exist everywhere! There's one high end shop here in our place that allegedly puts a washer or nut that triggers a code after driving for a while. The unsuspecting customer goes back for another fee.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
With a Fumoto valve on the car (one time small expense) these are some of the easiest to do oil changes on. I'd never pay anyone else to do it. With a bit of practice you can change the oil and not spill a single drop. Just loosen the filter enough so you can turn it by hand and put a gallon ziplock bag up around it, then loosen it up, let the extra oil drain, and spin it off. Unlike many vehicles there's enough room to do this easily and it makes the job nearly 100% mess-free. Plug the hose on the Fumoto, place in empty oil bottle (the one you used last time to fill it!), drain into there, close valve, put new filter on, go up top and fill it. Start up, check it for leaks, put the bottom access cover back on.

If you have a set of ramps you can do it in a parking lot and the mess is limited to that which is caught by a couple of paper towels. Seriously.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
My buddies grandpa had a 2nd Gen Lightning and had the oil changed at one of those places, drove across the 5 lane highway to Walmart and the motor locked up. They "forgot" to put oil in and wanted to put a used 50k motor in it. He fought back and they put a brand new one in.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
put a gallon ziplock bag up around it, then loosen it up, let the extra oil drain, and spin it off.
I started doing this after someone mentioned it on this forum years ago and it's made oil changes almost zero mess - such a smart thing to do.

Everyone should just be happy Mazda didn't go the route that Toyota did - My wife's 2017 Taco is a 100% guaranteed mess. I've resorted to putting plastic on the ground everywhere before doing the change because you simply cannot avoid it. It's seriously like they went out of their way to make it obnoxious so more people gave up trying and bring it to dealers.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,851 Posts
I started doing this after someone mentioned it on this forum years ago and it's made oil changes almost zero mess - such a smart thing to do.

Everyone should just be happy Mazda didn't go the route that Toyota did - My wife's 2017 Taco is a 100% guaranteed mess. I've resorted to putting plastic on the ground everywhere before doing the change because you simply cannot avoid it. It's seriously like they went out of their way to make it obnoxious so more people gave up trying and bring it to dealers.
The Odyssey 3.5 drains all its filter oil directly onto the subframe where if fills and and then rains out all the little holes down the length of it.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
The Odyssey 3.5 drains all its filter oil directly onto the subframe where if fills and and then rains out all the little holes down the length of it.
That's amazingly horrible XD

The taco forces you to shove a little 2 inch garbage piece of plastic into the bottom of the filter so that the oil drains out all over your hand and arm because you need to put excessive force on it to remain draining and it drains all around the plastic and not through the designated tube.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are PLENTY of vehicles where the manufacturer was a five-alarm jackass about putting things where you are GUARANTEED a mess with an oil change. It's one of the reasons I like to crawl all around a car (including UNDER it) before I buy it.

I give Mazda mad props for doing it correctly on both the "3" and "6" in the Gen3 line. Both are silly-easy especially if you put a Fumoto on it, and you can without it being at risk of getting boogered by road debris due to the belly pan.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,851 Posts
There are PLENTY of vehicles where the manufacturer was a five-alarm jackass about putting things where you are GUARANTEED a mess with an oil change. It's one of the reasons I like to crawl all around a car (including UNDER it) before I buy it.

I give Mazda mad props for doing it correctly on both the "3" and "6" in the Gen3 line. Both are silly-easy especially if you put a Fumoto on it, and you can without it being at risk of getting boogered by road debris due to the belly pan.
With my Mk1 v6 the filter drips down over the catalytic converter but it's not that bad at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Valvoline did a good job on mine. But I have decided to do the changes myself and switch to synthetic oil since I would be saving $40 per oil change and don't need to drive anywhere for the change except just recycle at a place on the way to work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With a Fumoto valve on the car (one time small expense) these are some of the easiest to do oil changes on. I'd never pay anyone else to do it. With a bit of practice you can change the oil and not spill a single drop. Just loosen the filter enough so you can turn it by hand and put a gallon ziplock bag up around it, then loosen it up, let the extra oil drain, and spin it off. Unlike many vehicles there's enough room to do this easily and it makes the job nearly 100% mess-free. Plug the hose on the Fumoto, place in empty oil bottle (the one you used last time to fill it!), drain into there, close valve, put new filter on, go up top and fill it. Start up, check it for leaks, put the bottom access cover back on.

If you have a set of ramps you can do it in a parking lot and the mess is limited to that which is caught by a couple of paper towels. Seriously.
With an impact driver one can remove/install the oil pan bolt very quickly I think. Why even install a Fumoto valve?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts