Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Mazda 6s GS 5DR in bright island blue w/ 6sp ATX approximately 3 wks ago. I have noticed that the Heater does not push out heated air evenly. I also do not feel any heated air coming out towards the floor when I choose the heat option down at my feet. Is this a problem for other M6 owners as well? I have taken the car back to the dealer twicw now since I purchased the car and the problem is the same. Any suggestions/replies would be great!!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
....... I also do not feel any heated air coming out towards the floor when I choose the heat option down at my feet. Is this a problem for other M6 owners as well? I have taken the car back to the dealer twicw now since I purchased the car and the problem is the same. Any suggestions/replies would be great!!
[/b]
Based on my 04 6S:

1) poor driver side feet duct
This opening is on the right side, and based on the main duct flow path there, tends to blow air back to your left shin, leaving left foot cold. Right passenger side has a much better, deedicated duct design.

Get some black duct tape (pep-boys), and create a shroud that pushes the air back toward your feet and down, without restricting flow. Works great.

2) turn off ac if above 30F (Auto Climate), esp in feet only mode.

In feet-only mode, set temp 20-25F above ambient, click acc on and then turn AC off.

3) low hot water flow rate
The 6S has heater core supply and return lines connected close to each other in the engine's coolant path, so flow is low, esp at low rpm. heated air temps can drop from 160F to 115F by going to idle and setting fan speed at max on a very cold day.

For max feet heating, don't use max fan speed, and don't use the "feet only" mode as this also blows some windshield air that will bake your face before your feet are warmed. It is better to use feet + face mode, and shut off some of the dash ducts, and divert away the others.

Bonus: Wipers in snow in cold:

Use plenty of low temp de-icer, and avoid using the intermittent switch, as this allows wipers to park on unheated part of windshield. Flick main wiper switch to park it up on the windshield to keep it warmed, when occasional use is necessary.

Over the Edge:

In the sub 20's, I block off the lower front grill. Made it from a plastic gutter cover (hdwre store) that I cut to shape and painted black. Has a pew hole pairs for simple tie-wrap install from the inside.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Based on my 04 6S:

1) poor driver side feet duct
This opening is on the right side, and based on the main duct flow path there, tends to blow air back to your left shin, leaving left foot cold. Right passenger side has a much better, deedicated duct design.

Get some black duct tape (pep-boys), and create a shroud that pushes the air back toward your feet and down, without restricting flow. Works great.

2) turn off ac if above 30F (Auto Climate), esp in feet only mode.

In feet-only mode, set temp 20-25F above ambient, click acc on and then turn AC off.

3) low hot water flow rate
The 6S has heater core supply and return lines connected close to each other in the engine's coolant path, so flow is low, esp at low rpm. heated air temps can drop from 160F to 115F by going to idle and setting fan speed at max on a very cold day.

For max feet heating, don't use max fan speed, and don't use the "feet only" mode as this also blows some windshield air that will bake your face before your feet are warmed. It is better to use feet + face mode, and shut off some of the dash ducts, and divert away the others.

Bonus: Wipers in snow in cold:

Use plenty of low temp de-icer, and avoid using the intermittent switch, as this allows wipers to park on unheated part of windshield. Flick main wiper switch to park it up on the windshield to keep it warmed, when occasional use is necessary.

Over the Edge:

In the sub 20's, I block off the lower front grill. Made it from a plastic gutter cover (hdwre store) that I cut to shape and painted black. Has a pew hole pairs for simple tie-wrap install from the inside. [/b]
Oh boy... I should probably follow this when winter rolls around here.

Great advice, though. :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts