Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been on this forum since 2002 (member #213!) waiting for my time to purchase a 6 and the time is approaching fast. I expect to purchase between December 2006 and March 2007. Here are my options:

1) 2006 Mazda6i Sport (sedan or hatchback) with beige interior
- 4 cars remaining in US with the options I want, all with MSRP ~$25k (2 sedan and 2 hatch)
- Assuming a sale at dealer cost (invoice-3%MSRP-Rebate), OTD = $20k
Pros: Available with cloth and moonroof. I would prefer a hatch since the price is the same.
Cons: Available cars are 600 and 1300 miles away from me (dealer swap or road trip).

2) 2007 Mazda6i Value Edition sedan with beige interior
- Several available locally, MSRP ~$21k
- Assuming a sale at invoice(S-plan)-Rebate, OTD = $18.5k
Pros: Good availability
Cons: No moonroof with cloth seats!! I refuse to have a dealer installed moonroof and don't want leather. I'd probably go with the sedan since the hatch is $1000 more.

Questions:
1) I'm not sure I'm comfortable about the fact I'd be buying a 2006 (available fall 2005) in early 2007 - in other words, I'm already 1yr behind the resale value of this vehicle. If I'm in an accident or need to sell, I've lost 1 year of value compared to purchasing a 2007. If I keep it 6, 7, 8 years and drive it into the ground, this isn't really a problem. Is purchasing a 2006 in 2007 a bad idea? With the prices above I'd be paying $1500 MORE plus I'd been down on resale. The decision gets tougher if I can get a 2006 for the price of a 2007.

2) I'm aware of the warranty difference between 06 and 07, aside from my concern of resale value and not having a moonroof, any reason I shouldn't get a 2007? I'm not sure which model year to purchase. It seems the 2007 is a better value for the money considering how similiar the cars are but my desire for a moonroof might swing my decision.

Any other comments, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated to help make a decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Get a Speed6, that is all ........both of those cars you mention up there aren't worth it

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,635 Posts
Get a Speed6, that is all ........both of those cars you mention up there aren't worth it
[/b]
Yeah, that answers his questions... :sarc:

Well, I've been on this forum since 2002 (member #213!) waiting for my time to purchase a 6 and the time is approaching fast. I expect to purchase between December 2006 and March 2007. Here are my options:

1) 2006 Mazda6i Sport (sedan or hatchback) with beige interior
- 4 cars remaining in US with the options I want, all with MSRP ~$25k (2 sedan and 2 hatch)
- Assuming a sale at dealer cost (invoice-3%MSRP-Rebate), OTD = $20k
Pros: Available with cloth and moonroof. I would prefer a hatch since the price is the same.
Cons: Available cars are 600 and 1300 miles away from me (dealer swap or road trip).

2) 2007 Mazda6i Value Edition sedan with beige interior
- Several available locally, MSRP ~$21k
- Assuming a sale at invoice(S-plan)-Rebate, OTD = $18.5k
Pros: Good availability
Cons: No moonroof with cloth seats!! I refuse to have a dealer installed moonroof and don't want leather. I'd probably go with the sedan since the hatch is $1000 more.

Questions:
1) I'm not sure I'm comfortable about the fact I'd be buying a 2006 (available fall 2005) in early 2007 - in other words, I'm already 1yr behind the resale value of this vehicle. If I'm in an accident or need to sell, I've lost 1 year of value compared to purchasing a 2007. If I keep it 6, 7, 8 years and drive it into the ground, this isn't really a problem. Is purchasing a 2006 in 2007 a bad idea? With the prices above I'd be paying $1500 MORE plus I'd been down on resale. The decision gets tougher if I can get a 2006 for the price of a 2007.

2) I'm aware of the warranty difference between 06 and 07, aside from my concern of resale value and not having a moonroof, any reason I shouldn't get a 2007? I'm not sure which model year to purchase. It seems the 2007 is a better value for the money considering how similiar the cars are but my desire for a moonroof might swing my decision.

Any other comments, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated to help make a decision. Thanks.
[/b]
1) Getting a '06 in '07 isn't that much of a risk, considering that the biggest drop in resale value happens the INSTANT the car leaves the dealers lot. Besides, you can work for a better deal with an '06 to even perhaps LOWER than the '07 price.

2)There are really no big differences (besides the warranty) between the '06 and '07. I'd try and get the car with the EXACT options that YOU want, whether it's a '06 or '07. A car is a big purchase, you might as well get something that you like instead of something you settle for.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
If you really want a moonroof, you might as well get the 2006. If you get the 07 without the moonroof, you're not going to be happy with it which means you will probably end up trading it, or having the sunroof put in anyway, negating any savings in the price. (While having a sunroof put in a car is not as bad as it used to be, you didn't want to go aftermarket. I had an aftermarket sunroof in my Protege, never had a problem.)

Also, the basic warranty is longer on the 06. However, you can get a Mazda extended warranty for 6 years/100k top line Total Care for about $900 too, so the warranty issue on the 07 wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with your purchase.

BTW, I own the same exact car you're after. 06 6i with beige interior in Redfire. 13k miles in less than 6mos., and I've never loved a car more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Indeed, the 2006 models were available in the fall of 2005, but I purchased my 2006 back in June and the build date was just weeks prior to me actually purchasing the car. To get this car, I actually had to do a dealer trade with a dealership upstate and they towed the car down for me the next day. 2007 models essentially are complete carry-overs and the options are a bit trickier, and, of course, horsepower is reduced... I'm assuming for emissions reasons. If you want a 6 with cloth interior and a moonroof like me, find yourself a 2006. You're not missing much with 2007 models. I was at the dealership a couple weeks ago getting maintenance done and they're about identical, minus the options packages and horsepower. I saw an i with leather seats and the sunroof/Bose package with an MSRP of $23,000. I was about to cry because my MSRP was a couple grand more on a car with cloth seats for 2006. Aw, man...

Follow your heart. I sure did.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Mz6GreyGhost, you're right it is a big purchase but at this point, if I can save $1000-2000 by not having the moonroof, I might have to do that. I'm afraid I might not bargain too well but I guess time will tell. You are right, if I went 2007, I'd probably just go no haggle S-plan. Dealer cost seems fair for a 2006 so I don't know how much lower I can get them - I'd buy a 2006 if they bit on a $19k OTD offer from me.

LapisLazuli6, wow, your car sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for. If I went 2006, I'll probably go Redfire or Onyx, depending on which of these 4 2006s are available when I buy. I'm fairly confident a dealer installed moonroof wouldn't leak but there would be a gasket around the area they cutout the roof and I think it looks less clean and too obvious as aftermarket. Congrats on your purchase.

GoBackToSleep, Congrats to you too. Question: when you did a dealer swap, did you work with a local dealer to settle on price and then find the car? Did you ever contact the dealer that the car came from? How did this work? The reason I ask is because I'm in NY. The local dealer said he can't swap out of state due to NY emissions rules. So I'd have to either go and buy directly from the dealer who has the 2006 (could be WV, FL, OH, etc) OR go over the border to NJ (for example) and tell the Jersey dealer to swap with the dealer who has the car I want. Also, how do you know the build date? If I recall it's not in the VIN (Decoding the VIN)

One more thought:
Any problems with purchasing a car that has been on a dealer lot for 6-8-12months?

BTW, I'm 32yo and this will be my first new car purchase that I drive, so I'm pretty psyched. We bought my wife a new Nissan Altima with the equivalent S-plan so I've never really bargained for a new car. I'll just tell the dealer, if I don't get the price I want for a 2006 (~$19k OTD) I'll go to my local NY dealer and get a 2007 for $18.5k - his loss.

·
Registered
510 Posts
my 2006 6i-sport ATX sedan, onyx black, black int was $18.5 out the door. I wouldnt pay more than that for a 2006. But, I also have no regrets at all. I love this car. It is solid, well built, quiet and just great. I do sometimes wish I had the MTX, but for reasons out of my control i could not get one.

My car was a dealer trade from Bomarito in st louis. I dont know how long it sat on the lot, but I have had no problems.

·
Administrator
8,635 Posts
Question: when you did a dealer swap, did you work with a local dealer to settle on price and then find the car? Did you ever contact the dealer that the car came from? How did this work? The reason I ask is because I'm in NY. The local dealer said he can't swap out of state due to NY emissions rules.
[/b]
That's not necessarily true. Yes, we have tougher emissions standards, but there are a few other New England states saddled with them as well. I don't see any reason why it'd be difficult for a dealer trade between NY and one of those states. I could be wrong though... :)

As far as dealer trade goes... When I bought my 6, I pretty much told the salesguy what I wanted, and he presented a few on the lot that were close, but not close enough for me. So he then did a search and found my EXACT model at a dealer in Buffalo. It also just so happened that that dealer called earlier in the day, because a Tribute that my local dealer had was perfect for a customer of theirs in Buffalo. Since the Buffalo dealer presented a trade first, the "transport" fee was passed to their customer, not me, and I got what I wanted.

It's different for every dealer, but for a sale, they'll get you what you want, even from another dealer. Have them run a search themselves, and then go from there. Also, try and waive the associated fees they might present you for the trade.
One more thought:
Any problems with purchasing a car that has been on a dealer lot for 6-8-12months?
[/b]
Nope. As long as the batteries charged, and they clean and inspect it, it should be just fine.
BTW, I'm 32yo and this will be my first new car purchase that I drive, so I'm pretty psyched. We bought my wife a new Nissan Altima with the equivalent S-plan so I've never really bargained for a new car. I'll just tell the dealer, if I don't get the price I want for a 2006 (~$19k OTD) I'll go to my local NY dealer and get a 2007 for $18.5k - his loss.
[/b]
Congrats! I can't say it's fun haggling over a price with a salesguy (having bought two new cars myself), but you learn more and more, and get the confidence to REALLY knock the price down to your level (or even lower).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, you guys are really making the 2006 sound good - this is exactly the kind of discussion I need to help make a decision.

badtlc, thanks for the comment - I think I'll shift my target from $19k OTD to $18.5k OTD!

Mz6GreyGhost, Thanks! You're right about emissions and NE state swaps but if the mazdausa.com inventory search is correct, the 4 2006s that fit my options are in West Virginia, Florida, Arkansas and Mississippi. So, I don't think I can use a NY dealer to get the car I want. In October I pinged a dealer in NJ because he had a car I wanted --- just to see where his price was at. Unfortunately, after a few weeks the car was sold. But he told me he could do dealer swaps and since I have some relatives near Jersey, I might use this dealer to swap the 2006 I want from WV, FL, AR or MS if he'll do $18.5k OTD.

I don't expect the $3500 rebate on 2006s to get any better. I've heard you might be able to get a better deal at the end of the month. I think that's true with the end of the year too, but Mazda's fiscal year might end in March instead of December. hmm, lot's of thinking to do.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Administrator
8,635 Posts
Mz6GreyGhost, Thanks! You're right about emissions and NE state swaps but if the mazdausa.com inventory search is correct, the 4 2006s that fit my options are in West Virginia, Florida, Arkansas and Mississippi. So, I don't think I can use a NY dealer to get the car I want. In October I pinged a dealer in NJ because he had a car I wanted --- just to see where his price was at. Unfortunately, after a few weeks the car was sold. But he told me he could do dealer swaps and since I have some relatives near Jersey, I might use this dealer to swap the 2006 I want from WV, FL, AR or MS if he'll do $18.5k OTD.
[/b]
Okay, got it now.

If you can do the NJ deal, then by all means, go ahead. I'm just wondering though... If you're registering a NEW car in NY, does the new car HAVE to have the emissions equipment in order to legally register it? Or better yet, does it need the emissions equipment in order to pass NEW car inspection?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
uuuh, that's a good question. The NJ dealer knew I was registering it in NY, so I'm thinking it's possible but I could be wrong. I'll have to confirm or resolve that situation before I buy.

I figured I'd be buying in NJ so I wouldn't need NY emmisions. I thought registering would be similar to if I moved to NY from out of state and had to register my car - maybe, as you say, it matters if I'm registering the car new or owned/used.

·
Administrator
8,635 Posts
...I thought registering would be similar to if I moved to NY from out of state and had to register my car - maybe, as you say, it matters if I'm registering the car new or owned/used.
[/b]
I'd understand that if you were moving from out-of-state, but since you're also already a NY resident...

I don't mean to burst your bubble, I'm just trying to keep it legal, that's all. :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
uuuh, that's a good question. The NJ dealer knew I was registering it in NY, so I'm thinking it's possible but I could be wrong. I'll have to confirm or resolve that situation before I buy.

I figured I'd be buying in NJ so I wouldn't need NY emmisions. I thought registering would be similar to if I moved to NY from out of state and had to register my car - maybe, as you say, it matters if I'm registering the car new or owned/used. [/b]
I'm not able to speak for the emissions laws situations, perhaps the BMV offices of the states involved could give you better information.
As for buying an '06, you should be able to work a far better price deal plus incentives to make it worth your while. I agree some of the option package changes that Mazda made for the '07 model year make it harder to get what you want unless you let them steer you up to the higher models like the GT (probably their intent).
If having the car as you want it is your most important goal then don't worry about what model year it is. The bright side is if you deal it right you should be able to save a good bit of money picking up the '06.

·
Registered
641 Posts
FYI, I bought my '06 in September and it had been sitting in the dealers lot since December '05. The only issue with that was on the test drive we had to jump it. I've had no issues since delivery.

As for the emissions standards in NY: http://www.nysdmv.com/register.htm#california
Looks like it has to have the California emissions for a new car to be registered in New York. Looks like you're stuck with the 2007's.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI, I bought my '06 in September and it had been sitting in the dealers lot since December '05. The only issue with that was on the test drive we had to jump it. I've had no issues since delivery.

As for the emissions standards in NY: http://www.nysdmv.com/register.htm#california
Looks like it has to have the California emissions for a new car to be registered in New York. Looks like you're stuck with the 2007's.
[/b]
Hmm, thanks for the link - congrats on the purchase. I'll need to see how the NJ dealer planned on registering this car to me in NY based on these restrictions. This dealer is right on the NJ side of the NY-NJ border so I have to think he deals with this a good amount. The loop hole could be that I drive my trade-in to NJ and claim mechanical failure (which isn't far off considering I'm leaking oil and antifreeze from my water pump!).

Not that I plan to do anything illegal, but I'll have to see how this pans out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
344 Posts
GoBackToSleep, Congrats to you too. Question: when you did a dealer swap, did you work with a local dealer to settle on price and then find the car? Did you ever contact the dealer that the car came from? How did this work? The reason I ask is because I'm in NY. The local dealer said he can't swap out of state due to NY emissions rules. So I'd have to either go and buy directly from the dealer who has the 2006 (could be WV, FL, OH, etc) OR go over the border to NJ (for example) and tell the Jersey dealer to swap with the dealer who has the car I want. Also, how do you know the build date? If I recall it's not in the VIN (Decoding the VIN)
One more thought:

[/b]
The way the dealer made it seem was so simple. He just looked up the inventory online and found me a stick 2006 Mazda 6 with the sunroof/Bose package, plus some added bonuses, I suppose, because it happened to be the i Sport model with the sports-appearance package and all. Of course, we did plenty of negotiating prior to finding the car I wanted because it was obvious I was going to trade in upside-down (previous car was a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6) and the he worked out the deal fair enough to where the loan I had to take out was around the MSRP range. Dealers are willing to work with you if you give them a shot, and, it's the end of the month... AND closing in on the end of the year, so you should have a fairly decent purchase experience. Also, when you find out the build date, you actually have to see the car in person (you could probably even ask the dealer and hopefully he or she will give you a straight answer). The build date is located on a sticker on the frame or door of the car when you open the driver's side door. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the link - congrats on the purchase. I'll need to see how the NJ dealer planned on registering this car to me in NY based on these restrictions. This dealer is right on the NJ side of the NY-NJ border so I have to think he deals with this a good amount. The loop hole could be that I drive my trade-in to NJ and claim mechanical failure (which isn't far off considering I'm leaking oil and antifreeze from my water pump!).

Not that I plan to do anything illegal, but I'll have to see how this pans out. Thanks again.
[/b]
Regarding the emissions restrictions: here's a link from the Mazda 3 forum of a guy who purchased a car from a non-PZEV (that's the emissions restriction that CA and several other states, including NY, have) required state and then tried to register it in a PZEV required state. It was quite a headache for him at first, but keep reading to the very end of the thread!

Basically, the state would not allow him to directly register a non-PZEV vehicle directly. Instead, he would have had to register it out of state first, then do a registration transfer (like he is moving into the state).

Now, if the 2006 car on your list is a PZEV vehicle, then there's no problem, but if it isn't, I don't know if you want to go through the hurdles to legally register the car in NY. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kendalf, thanks for the link. We'll see what the NJ dealer knows about all this and I'll post an update.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Buy the one that has the features you want. How long are you gonna keep it, after all? Ina few years, the difference in resale value won't matter much when you've spent those years thanking yourself for getting the features you want. On Monday I'm supposed to take delivery of my second 6, a leftover 2005! Why have I opted for this even though I could easily afford a 2006 or even a 07? Because that's what I wanted. I tested the 2006, both manual and auto, and found that even though the 2006/7 is quieter and has more features, the cars felt heavier and noticably less agile and less responsive, thus biting away a chunk of the most important reason why one buys a 6: fun. I thought I could live with one less gear, no traction control and some extra noise as long as I keep the fun factor intact, hence I took another 2005, this time with a manual. (Besides, the dealer gave me a 10% rebate! So why the hell not?)
The rest is up to you. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.