Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering how the new V6 motor is going to hold up. I've heard its coming straight from the Ford lineup. Anyone have any info or especially reliability history. I really want a V6, but don't want to end up with a lot problems.

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Questions on the V6 engine'

You are only partly right.

The Duratec engine is from the Ford lineup, alright, but it has been modified by Mazda engineers.

Also, the Ford Mondeo with the V6 Duratec is a great car to drive. No doubt about that. And the V6 engine is pleasant and also very reliable, which cannot be said about Ford in general.

In Sweden we have a transcription of FORD, it goes:

F=Fordrar (Requires)
O=Ordentliga (Major)
R=Reparationer (Repairs)
D=Dagligen (Daily)

Can't say that's true, but Ford certainly has a bad reputation here when it comes to build quality. But the Duratec has been proven very reliable. It's a great engine, simply.

On the other hand, if I were you I'd go for the 2.3liter engine. Why? Because the V6 got more power, but is at the same time heavier. I'm quite confident that the 2.3 gives you a car that is sporty enough. If you want something more explosive, wait for the MPS (which is based on the 2.3 liter engine, but a turbo charged one with direct fuel injection).

If you anyway prefer the V6, don't hesitate. You'll have a great engine in a wonderful car. You can't fail.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Ford can make great product when they want to, and the Duratec is a good example. In the world of V6 sedan engines, it is truly one of the better ones out there when it comes to power, smoothness, NVH, and yes, reliability.

Unfortunately, that nice engine is often put into vehicles with a less clear direction in life, such as the Taurus. Great engine, but overall a rather cheap car.

And yes, the engine has been significantly modified by Mazda. When it comes down to it, it isn't the block design thats important, or that causes problems, it is the more minute stuff, like cams, valves, pistons, etc.

BTW, the Duratec is the basic unit for the engine in the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish. Read any article ever written abou that car and you'll see it has been named one of the best supercar engines ever. Powerful as hell, and with a sound almost nothing else can touch. Yes, it is based on the same engine in the Taurus, but when Aston smacked 2 of them together and did its own tweaks, it goes from sedan to supercar engine just that quickly.

While deep down I still tell myself the new Mazda 4's will be better made, I think if it came down to it, I would not have a problem buying the V6. I just wish Mazda could make their own V6 too ;) Maybe that's next after these 4's are now done. Give us that K series motor, but bump up displacement and then we'd be talking. I love that engine, but at 2.5L, it never had enough low end pop for a V6, but boy did it sing a sweet song....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Jerome,
One of the few complaints people have had about the Duratec is that it's a little harsh. If you read between the lines on the CarsEverything article about it, you can see that Mazda spent a lot of time on the NVH issue with this engine. Adding the twin balance shafts and silent timing chain should go a long way toward making this a really enjoyable engine. As for power: well, it's decent, but nothing to write home about. Overall it's a good, but not great engine, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

im really torn between the i4 and the v6

i had hoped for the gas mileage in the v6 to be better than 20-21mpg since im getting around the same thing in my 2k2 max with 255 horses. but the max REQUIRES (suggests) premium fuel, anyone know what octane mazda suggests for the M6 v6?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Seems as there is a pattern in how Ford is being described around the world...

We have a saying here in Sweden: "Where there's smoke, there's fire". I'd say it's safe to assume that Ford really has some major quality issues (even if the Fords are better today than say ten or fifteen years ago).

My father in law had a Mondeo a few years ago. He loved it, but had a lot of trouble with it. So he abandoned it for a (hold your hats, folks...) Skoda Octavia.

A descent car.

Happy to say, he's interested in going for a...(yup)...Mazda6.

Can't say I blame him.:D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I heard its called

First
On
Race
Day

:)

·
Registered
137 Posts

I think Ford has some really anal beancounters and are reducing quality too much. Example:

Firestone tires
Focus numerous recalls
Ignition starting on fire

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

MP6:

I assume that means you must use it for the first time on Race Day, or it simply won't hold up until then...?

:D

·
Registered
168 Posts

I've had my Contour for 4 years and 60k miles...The ONLY problem I have ever had is the crappy plastic waterpump let go. Hopefully the 6 is being built with the same good quality. We have 6 contours in my extended family and I can't complain about a single one of them, well except the 4cyl ATX is pretty slow ;) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reading Topic: Questions on the V6 engine

I gotta agree with DuratecTour. I've put quite a few miles on my 2.5L '98 Contour in the 3 years I've had it, and the only trouble I've run into is the waterpump impellar. One thing that I do want to look out for in the coming months is whether or not these engines will "gunk up" in the intake manifolds and the throttle body like some of the contours have.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Reading Topic: Questions on the V6 engine

I think just about all the car manufaturers here in the states have some not so flattering Transcriptions of thier names...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts