Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang:
I have a question about CV drive axles. Basically, is it ok to test/check the drive axle while it is on the car? Or is it better to remove it from the car? Have you ever heard of a CV axle being bent?

I was thinking of grabbing the middle of the transaxle and twist it to see if it is worn or too much play at the CV joints while in the car. And BTW this isn't for my 6 it's for my '97 Sable.

My Sable has develop a vibration via the steering wheel between 40 to 47 mph and then fades away after 50mph. This vibration is causing my tires to be cupped. Any ideas how to remove this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cupped tires are a somewhat complex issue because it may become a multi-layered problem. I'll go ahead and layout the details here...

Findings for Cupped Tires...
  • Steering Wheel shakes or shimmies during 40 to 45 mph
  • Tires have a Helicopter Noise to them as you drive
  • Front end of the car shakes
  • Worn Tires due to cupping
Possible Cures for this problem...
  • Re-balance all wheels
  • Check Wheel Alignment
  • Worn or loose front-end parts (e.g. ball-joints, tie rods)
  • CV Axle is bad, in my case lost all of it's grease
I believe in my case the root cause of the problem was worn front end parts. Both the driver's and passenger side ball joint had tears in the rubber boot and no grease. The tie rods were not in good shape either. The driver's side CV axle had lost all or most of it's CV grease (inner joint). These parts had a good 124K miles on them. I replaced all these parts plus got a front-end alignment. Now all is well again.

I thought I would share this information in case one of you have a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Best way to test them is to lick them...
HEHE

Good info. Ya basically you just try to move the stuff around, and if it moves, its probably worn out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts