Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just have a few quick questions regarding the headlight bulbs.

First, I was to make sure that I am correct that both the low beam and the high beam light bulbs are H1, so whenever I order them, make sure to get H1's and the fog lights are H3's.

Second, how come the high beam and the low beams are the same bulb but the high beam is so much brighter? Does it have to do with the power that is put to the high beam when activated or the way it is positioned? (forgive me, I'm not too mechanically inclined).

Third, what is the best bulb to put to replace the turn signals so you don't get that yellow/orangish color from the reflectors? I've heard that the chrome dipped ones aren't that bright. I haven't heard anything bad about the Sylvania SilverStar ones, but are expensive?

Finally, I really want to install some DDE's down the road, but I'm not 100% sure I want to spend the money on an HID kit. I've heard that DDE's look bad with the stock yellowish halogen bulbs. So in your opinion, which are the best bulbs to buy to replace the stock ones to get a nice clean look with DDE's?
(I was thinking PIAA extreme whites)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

_matt

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You are correct in saying that the low and high beams are H1, and fog lights are H3. You can get the chrome dipped blinker bulbs here. Chromed Over Blinker Bulbs. I have them installed on my car. I can notice that they are dimmer. If you want bright ones your going to have to break the bank with the PIAA chromed over bulbs. As for the DDE halos, the best matching bulbs are always going to be HIDs bulbs around the 6000K. If you were going to replace with halogen bulb I would say go for the PIAA.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
if you are going to replace halogen, go with piaa. i had silverstar and they only lasted a few months, it is now about a year with the piaa and they are still going strong.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Brighter halogens are hard to come by. I have Osram Silverstars (the clear euro version) installed in my high beams that are noticeably brighter, but in the low side I noticed no difference. Has to do more with the design of the lamp, not the bulb. I would check out powerbulbs or another UK based store and get the Silverstars or Philips Vision Plus, and pick up the Philips Silver Vision PY21W for the turn signals.

I blew one of the lows, so I stuck the OE high bulbs (Philips +30s) in the low position, getting rid of the Philips Long Lifes. I plan on doing the HID retro in the future.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
What year is your ride? My '06 has H11's for fogs. I believe all prior years are the H3's
I went with Philips Vision Plus ordered from the UK and am very happy with them. They have been installed 5 months with no issues and when in high beam it as if the sun is out :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had problems with the silver stars, they both burnt out on me at the same time. It really sucked driving home from work with my fogs on down a long curvy country road. I have the chrome dipped blinkers; got mine from eurodezigns.com. Not real bright but they take away the orange tint in your headlights.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input everyone.

I understand that replacing the blinker bulb with a chrome tipped one gets rid of the yellow/orange color in the blinker housing making everything look clear/reflective. Are there and other looks I can get with the head lights by replacing bulbs or covers or anything like that? (Besides the obvious, halos, dde and what I just said)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Headlights - Halogen replacment or HID (play and play, or retrofit)
Blinker - Chromed over bulb that blinks amber, or your can get a bulb that has a blueish tint to it that blinks whitish/blueish.
Day Time Running Light - You can replace these with LEDs
Headlight housing - Eyelids, or you can paint the bezels black.

Anyone else want to add anything go ahead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts