Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My friend just got a new 06 Mazda 6 sport last week. On the day he picked the car, he felt the ABS is working everytime he use brake. He thought that since the the weather was very cold so he thought it might just be some hidden ice on the road.

However, after he drove for a week and put around 400 miles on it, he decided to take the car to dealership. After technician checks his car, he was told the "ABS module went bad" so they need to order part and service dept is NOT allowed to release the car to customer.

Is it a big problem? and Is it very difficult to replace the "ABS module" since my friend is worried that his new car would probably be taken into parts and he feels bad about it.

Also, he also notice that the TCS indicator takes more time to be off when he starts his car in cold days. Service Dept checked and they said TCS is fine. I am wondering does weather make difference on those machine/sensors?

Thank you for your responses/

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi,

My friend just got a new 06 Mazda 6 sport last week. On the day he picked the car, he felt the ABS is working everytime he use brake. He thought that since the the weather was very cold so he thought it might just be some hidden ice on the road.

However, after he drove for a week and put around 400 miles on it, he decided to take the car to dealership. After technician checks his car, he was told the "ABS module went bad" so they need to order part and service dept is NOT allowed to release the car to customer.

Is it a big problem? and Is it very difficult to replace the "ABS module" since my friend is worried that his new car would probably be taken into parts and he feels bad about it.

Also, he also notice that the TCS indicator takes more time to be off when he starts his car in cold days. Service Dept checked and they said TCS is fine. I am wondering does weather make difference on those machine/sensors?

Thank you for your responses/[/b]

I'm not sure what you mean by "taken into parts" but if the ABS module is bad they will replace it with a new Mazda part. The potential liability of a brake system failure and the possible resulting accident are why the dealer will not release the car until it is fixed properly. It's only a BIG problem if the brakes fail, but just replacing the ABS unit isn't terribly difficult.

My TCS indicator goes out right away after I start my car regardless of outside temperature, perhaps your friend's problem is related to the failed ABS unit. I believe the ABS wheel sensors also provide data to the TCS system, so it could be related.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Most people report that the TCS light remains on when it's extremely cold outside (usually well below 0). I don't think anyone's ever figured out why, but it is considered "normal" operation.

As for replacing the ABS module, it's a simple thing to do. The car isn't going to be "taking into parts".

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Most people report that the TCS light remains on when it's extremely cold outside (usually well below 0). I don't think anyone's ever figured out why, but it is considered "normal" operation.

As for replacing the ABS module, it's a simple thing to do. The car isn't going to be "taking into parts".[/b]
mine stays on after i leave it out in the cold for a long period of time. It doesn't have to be below zero, up to around 15 and it will do it. The circuitry just needs to warm up.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
mine stays on after i leave it out in the cold for a long period of time. It doesn't have to be below zero, up to around 15 and it will do it. The circuitry just needs to warm up.[/b]
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the TCS light on syndrome. It's been damn cold here in the midwest the past couple weeks and the only time my TCS light comes on is when its supposed to.
In general, electronic circuitry does not need to "warm up", it either works correctly or it doesn't. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head (and I'm not claiming my theory is correct, its just a guess) is that it's possible some condensation or melted snow/slush is freezing on your ABS wheel sensors and making them give false readings. That may sound like a direct contradiction of what I previously said about electronic circuitry but the ABS sensors are basically electro-mechanical devices and it would be the mechanical part that is causing the problem (if that's even close to a correct guess).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thank you for your responses.

The reason I asked about ABS is that my friend got pissed since it is a brand new car, and ABS system is an important part for the car, and he feels it is a "serious problem". Should he come back and complain it with the sales person or even sales manager? He felt that once the car is being take apart and replace important parts, the new car is no longer assembly well. It is his concern.

Also, does anyone know typically how long does it take to replace the ABS module?

Regarding to the TCS indicator, he told me that it usually takes around 30~40 seconds after he start his engine in the morning. If it is in the afternoon when he drives back to his house, it is "normal" compared with my 05 6s HB.

BTW, after I drive his car, I feel his 06 has better build quality, and more powerful at low speed(15~25mph) than my 05. Has anyone here driven both 05 and 06??

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
The TCS light is a very common occurence in this neck of the woods. I see the same thing...it's on for the first 30 seconds or so...no biggie...other 6 owners in my area have reported the same thing.

As for your buddies concern - I wouldn't worry. If it is the ABS module, there is a certain acceptable "infant mortality" rate for parts. Say, for example (making up numbers), out of every 1000 ABS modules, 2 of them will pass the factory testing, but crap out within 90 days of delivery.

I don't think he should worry about it...if the problem persists after they replace it, then raise some hell...but I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

My friend can't pick his car because according to his dealership, they have replaced ABS module and the problem is still there.

The dealership (doesn't know if they ae BS), said that Mazda has got involved and they have to do a series of test in order to verify the problem.

I feel bad for telling him that Mazda6 is a really nice car.:(

Does anyone have similiar problem??

Thank~

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi all,

My friend can't pick his car because according to his dealership, they have replaced ABS module and the problem is still there.

The dealership (doesn't know if they ae BS), said that Mazda has got involved and they have to do a series of test in order to verify the problem.

I feel bad for telling him that Mazda6 is a really nice car. :(

Does anyone have similiar problem??

Thank~[/b]

Mazda IS a good car, and what he is experiencing is not the norm. It could also be a wheel sensor or wiring harness fault, thank the dealer for making sure it's fixed properly before releasing the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah Dennis,

I always think Mazda is good car, that's why I told my good friend that to get one like mine.

What concerns him and I is that the car has been put in dealership for 3 days while he only picked the car for like 10 days, and the dealership cannot even identify the problem for 3 business days. Service manager told him that he'll call Mazda tomorrow and see if they could find out the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.