Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine if this is normal since we both share the same engine/tranny. A couple members including myself have noticed the tranny is 'clunky' sometimes. For example, first to second will be fine, but second to third would clunk and vice versa. The upper gears never clunk (at least for me). All shifts are smooth and there's no grinding. And yes, the clutch is in all the way. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have only had an issue with my Speed 6 and shifting when going from 1st to 2nd when the car was breaking in. Now that is broken in (almost 4k miles) it hasn't been a problem at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had some trouble going from 2nd to 3rd as well. Just got used to it and I shift with authority when need be. I think a few others have had trouble with their trannies popping out of gear. Do a search and something should come up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shifting from 1st to 2nd is a little rough for me. I need to use a bit of force to get it in second. Every other gear seems to just slide in easily. I wonder if I'm hurting the clutch or transmission..

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
when i go from 2nd to 3rd and the car is cold it is clunkly but after it warms up it fine

one thing and i havent done this yet my self
alot of people have taken the counter weight of of the linkage and said it helps alot. it is easy to do and it is suposed to make shifting faster and easier :drive:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have only had an issue with my Speed 6 and shifting when going from 1st to 2nd when the car was breaking in. Now that is broken in (almost 4k miles) it hasn't been a problem at all.
[/b]
I had the same problem when I bought the car...5600 miles later and shes smooth as butter...or as a baby's behind..however, you want to phrase it ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've noticed it too. One thing that I have noticed is that the clunkyness (is that a word?) doesn't happend if you shift at a higher RPM or drive a little more agressive. I'm not talking about banging gears but when shifting just get it done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My shifting has been clunky ever since my first 1000 miles. Now I'm at 11k and nothing has 'broken in' yet. I have gotten the cpe engine mount and swapped out with redline mt-90 and it has helped a bit, but it still bothers me. I am really just living with it now. Theres been numerous posts on this in the past, a few I have started myself. I relate the issue to not breaking in the tranny very very slowly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine is clunky 1-2 and 2-3, very noticable when cold. When cold, she actually grates going into 2nd. :( I have an early build and figure I need to take it in, prove to them I have a problem and then wait a month for the trany to be replaced. It's almost winter up here so I'll let them have it soon. Oh, and it has almost 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Well I certainly share many of same experiences as some of you regarding the 'clunkyness':

-when the tranny is warm it's slicker and the clunking is almost nonexistent. Thankfully over here it's never very cold (low 40s is usually the coldest it gets) so I have yet to experience the gear stickyness some of you have.

-it happens sometimes between 1-2 but mostly between 2-3 and never in the higher gears.

-no clunkiness when shifting at higher rpms (e.g between 3-4 k).

-the tranny likes to be driven hard and loosens up quite a bit.

-if I take my time and shift slower I get no clunk.

I've only got 2300 miles on the car so it may not be fully broken in yet. Anyway the conclusion I've drawn from the replies here as well as a couple other forums (mustangs are notorious for clunky trannies) and general info online (standardshift.com etc.) is this is normal and 'fixing' it might require purchasing an aftermarket short shifter which is totally optional. I know many have tried different oils but I don't think the noise goes away completely however shifting is smoother.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only "clunk" I've ever noticed was when shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd and giving it a good amount of gas, I'll hear a very loud clunk from the rear axle (at least thats what it sounds like). I haven't herd it in a while but I got it with the traction control on and off.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quite often with 1st to 2nd shift. After that it's not as noticable.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
1-2 is clunky, it is in the tranny not a user error....

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm trying to determine if this is normal since we both share the same engine/tranny. A couple members including myself have noticed the tranny is 'clunky' sometimes. For example, first to second will be fine, but second to third would clunk and vice versa. The upper gears never clunk (at least for me). All shifts are smooth and there's no grinding. And yes, the clutch is in all the way. Thanks for any info.
[/b]
Mine is as smooth as silk. The only problem I've had is that the driver doesn't push the shifter into 3rd with sufficient authority sometimes, especially when being a bit aggressive. I've tried to train him better, but at 60, he's just too old to learn new tricks.
:drive:

·
Registered
826 Posts
For me, its clunky on and off. If I instantly try to shove it into a gear, it clunks a little. If I wait about a split second to a second, it goes in a lot smoother. Double clutching ie: rev matching helps a lot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1-2 & sometimes 2-3 will be a little less smooth in the shifting process, but it's also rpm variant with me. Under almsot no load I can notice it. When there is load and I'm trying to rip through the gears there is no issue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I noticed it in similar ways. I would not be surprised if its the syncro setup for 2nd and maybe 3rd gear. I cannot remember the exact specs on our tranny, but I know a lot of manufacturers are going to 3 syncro's in 2nd gear so that it will go in faster. I thought I had read the Civic SI was setup this way, and I thought somewhere I had read the MS6 was as well, but the heck if I can find anything to back that up. But anyways, if this is true, maybe they're just so designed to "go fast" that they can't handle low speeds as well?

Of course this is pure speculation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
1st, 2nd, and third gear in our transmissions have triple cone synchros.

[attachmentid=17854]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts