Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if any of the folks with CAI's have noticed sharper decreases in your mpg since fall/winter began? I know it's normal to see a reduction of 10% or so in mpg on average and I was wondering if having the CAI installed increases that factor on any noticable scale.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I wanted to know if any of the folks with CAI's have noticed sharper decreases in your mpg since fall/winter began? I know it's normal to see a reduction of 10% or so in mpg on average and I was wondering if having the CAI installed increases that factor on any noticable scale.
[/b]
I wouldn't think a CAI would have any effect on that. It has to do with the gas and driving conditions. I would think a CAI would be better during the winter because the air being pulled in is colder, but this having nothing to do with fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
[/b]
I haven't noticed any change other than more power, and I mean a lot more power. It was in the 50's here today and this car feels like it's making more power than I've ever seen it have. My theory on that is that *maybe* the ECU remapped after my weekend at the track. I hit 120 today faster than I've ever hit it. Not sure why, could be cold air, dry air, remapped ECU, who knows. Whatever it is, I love it :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't think a CAI would have any effect on that. It has to do with the gas and driving conditions. I would think a CAI would be better during the winter because the air being pulled in is colder, but this having nothing to do with fuel efficiency.
[/b]
Well, in winter, colder air means denser air -- more molecules per cubic foot. At any specific throttle setting or opening, the same number of cubic feet of air, but containing more air molecules, will enter the engine. A CAI would increase this no? The computer should provide more fuel to create the proper air/fuel ratio at that moment. So I'm thinking that since "more air/more fuel" produces more power it may equate to lesser mpg. That's unless the car can operate under slightly less throttle than normal due to the increase in power. My logic may be off, but that's why I'm posing the question.

I've noticed that my mpg has dropped overall, however I'm going to install my CAI this weekend and I was just wondering to what to expect.

I haven't noticed any change other than more power, and I mean a lot more power. It was in the 50's here today and this car feels like it's making more power than I've ever seen it have. My theory on that is that *maybe* the ECU remapped after my weekend at the track. I hit 120 today faster than I've ever hit it. Not sure why, could be cold air, dry air, remapped ECU, who knows. Whatever it is, I love it :)
[/b]

strange 4wdfun - it must be in the air. So did I.
[/b]
:laugh: Oh, I know the increase in power is going to be insane. I'm counting on that and I can't wait for it. Makes me wish the winters here were colder overall. Maybe if anyone is noticing a decrease in mpg with the CAI on in the winter it's due to the power increase and subsequent mashing of the pedal. :drive: :laugh:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure you might have a colder denser air mass but winter fuel blends counteract all that. They typically have the effect of lowering gas mileage.
[/b]
True, winter blends evaporate like water through the MS6.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
deff feel more power. it was 45 degrees here and I hit a little over 120 a lot faster then normal with my CAI on. kind of made me scared, but the rush was kool.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I thought according to the laws of thermodynamics, colder intake temps would increase the efficiency of the engine thus lower the consumption. At least when cruising. The same "phenomenon" is what explains that jet engines is more effective at high altitudes (where it is colder) compared to on the ground.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Actually, the higher the altitude, the thinner the air.

It's the logic behind altitude training for marathon runners.

Airplanes in general are more effective in higher altitudes because of less drag due to thinner air in the stratosphere.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Actually, the higher the altitude, the thinner the air.

It's the logic behind altitude training for marathon runners.

Airplanes in general are more effective in higher altitudes because of less drag due to thinner air in the stratosphere.
[/b]
OMG, your avatar is t3h r0x0rz N my s0x0rz! :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts