Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pair of aftermarket xenon lights. Nokya H1 and H3's... Ive used them in my Honda Accord and my cuzins VW Jetta, they worked just fine... The question is the guy at the Mazda dealership told me that people have been coming in with burned up harness due to the excessive bulb wattage... Is that true, I just got my car 3 weeks ago. And i missed the white beams I had in my old car... I know that the nokya's are very good brand, had them in for 1.5 year and no prob... should i get a aftermarket harness put in, or do u think ill be fine with the bulbs themselves. the bulbs are 80W. I tried to find some with lower wattage, but couldnt find any. please respind asap if u know anything.. thankz alot.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: Question about using aftermarket bulbs???

I honestly don't know, but it does sound fishy. The mazda harness would have to be seriously under-engineered to not be able to withstand the 80 watt bulbs. If you are concerned or not sure, you could use PIAA's Xtra bulbs... same wattage with more light (but more expensive)?

Check out www.autobulbdepot.com I've used them many times and really respect that company and their service.

-Alt

·
Registered
514 Posts

Wait, wait... xenon lights? Like true xenon (aka HID)? Or just gimmicky crap with "xenon" written on the case, even though they're actually halogens?

-Alt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Question about using aftermarket bulbs???'

not HID's... regular aftermarket bulbs... i was thinkin of goin with the piaa's, maybe in a few months... i got the bulbs in... it took forerver to get to them.. mazda sure didnt make it easy... i think the guy at dealership was just tryin to scare me if anything... cuz i asked him how to open it up, he asked me y, imlike to ut the lights in... he was like.. i wouldnt do it, u coudl melt the harness, and ive heard that before, but only if u use the 120 watt bulbs or something... or if it was a old car, im pretty sure 80 watts wont hurt it... thankz for ur quick response... one more think, u know how to get access to the driving lamp bulb, it seems impossible to get to.. thankz

·
Registered
514 Posts

Dunno about access to the bulbs as unfortunately I don't have a '6 yet. It *looks* like they are side-mounted in the high beams. I'd look for another harness farther up the high beam projector that hangs out 90 degrees relative to the high beam harness.

Also, did you have to remove your bumper to replace the bulbs?

-Alt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

nah, i aint about to do that much work for white light... if it were that hard, i wouldnt bother... i cant seem to find where it goes, so ill go to the dealership, and ask them to show me... hopefully they wont such a dick this time... thankz

·
Registered
514 Posts

Could you kindly summarize the method you used to change out the bulbs? Another member did a bulb replacement here and was told that he had to remove the front bumper, then remove the headlight cluster, and only then gain access/clearance to replace the bulbs. I thought this is a pretty bad design on mazda's part so I'd LOVE to hear of another method. Thanks bro.

-Alt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

well for the driver side, u ahve to take the cover off the fuse box, then reach ur hand(preferably small hand) inside the back of where the bulb is located... there is a black cover that you must remove, in order to access the bulb... after removin it u can take off the wire and remove the bulb... the driver side is the harder one... the passanger side is a lil easier, same steps, remove the black cover and take out the bulb... its pretty hard, i thought the honda accord was pretty diffcult but this is like brain surgrey compared to it... tis not that bad... hope that helps...

·
Registered
514 Posts

OK, so it's just a clearance issue then... My Z was a pain in the ass but I managed it. if that's all it take (time, patience, and tolerance to pain) then I'm happy :)

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

wut the hell kinda bulbs are we runnin in the headlights and highbeams?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

also wut bulbs are in the backup lights? i wanna brighten it up back there.

·
Registered
18 Posts

HeadLight : H1
HighBeam: H1
FogLight: H3
BackUpLight: 7440

I will order them this week and then go to my friends shop and try to install them with out taking off the front bumper.

·
Registered
178 Posts

SWEET!! do they make a blue light in the 7440 for the backup lights? Or hell any color to jazz that up?:)

·
Registered
18 Posts

Yeah those bulbs are out in diffrent colors, I'm thinking if I should go to local PepBoys to get them or order them online.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Originally posted by DIRT RACER

SWEET!!  do they make a blue light in the 7440 for the backup lights?  Or hell any color to jazz that up?:)[/b]
Yes they do... I installed license plate lights (Bright/Blue-White Light) ($10) and I installed CATZ H1 Galaxy bulbs ($55) , Outstanding LOOK :D !!!!

I wouldnt mess with your reverse lights, My buddies and I at the "Drivers Seat" put in the others and the OEM kick ass.... That was their opinion too... I left my reverse lights alone, too many OLD people in South Florida, I would cry if one ran into me while backing out. :(

Anyways light change went without a hitch no probs.... Just those little damn parking lights (City lights?) we could not get those to budge... THey will be changed befor the weekend somehow!

·
Registered
140 Posts

So how many of each types of bulbs are in the 6? And if anyone know if there are any differences in the European Version?
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts