Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand the capacity of the US M6 fuel tank is 18 US gal according the the manual. Like most people, when the gas light comes on, I pull over to fill up. However, I find myself toping off at around ~15 gallons. So, does this mean that the car still has three gallons of gas when the light comes on? Thats a hell of a reserve....I just want to make sure I'm not hitting the crack pipe to hard :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: Question about US fuel tank capacity

Is there a "too hard" when we're talking about hitting crack pipes?

-Alt

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Most cars do give you a 3 gallon reserve. I was a little too accoustomed to that, and ended up running out of gas once on a rental car because the odometer was about a quarter of a tank off. It was a brand new Grand-Am....go figure.
If you do the math, on the highway you've got about 71 miles after the light comes on, in some states that's barely enough, not to mention the first time you decide to test that theory is when you will probably run out.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Diesel, It happens the exact same problem with a Chevrolet Lumina Van, but I noticed with the Sentra, Altima and G35, there was plenty of gas when the light was on.

If you notice, when it's full, it takes a lot of time before it passes by the first line on the gas level. I noticed I was able to do 100km before it passes by the "F" line and the same thing when the light goes on, I can do another 100km until it gets empty.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Mine only filled to 15 gal also. Light was on for about 20 miles before I filled up. BTW: 22 MPG on first tank (mixed milaege)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The automakers do funky things with their fuel gauges. They make it stay up at the full line for a long time. This makes people think they're getting great gas mileage; this is because you're most likely to look at it right after you've filled up. Then it swoops down and sticks near the empty line, and the fuel light goes on. Personally I don't follow the gauge at all and go strictly from my trip odometer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Kenoka, not sure about all cars, but I do know the reason the fuel gauge on some cars does that is because the gas tank is curved towards the bottom. The Chevy Camaro is the worst for this. Basically at the top it can hold more fuel, but as it reaches the bottom, it appears to consume fuel faster because in reality the tank is getting narrower. The fuel guage only measures the level...not the actual quantity, so it doesn't have any way of knowing that less fuel is actually available per inch than was available at the top.

·
Registered
240 Posts

My Mazda Protege Manuel specified that I have a 55 litres tanks (and I thing they also specified 52 litres "usable"). And they give also state that the low fuel light come on once there are 8 to 12 litres left of usable fuel.

You can expect something similar with the 6, except it has a much bigger tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Question about US fuel tank capacity'

I guess thats the way most late Mazdas are. my 2000 Millenia S has 16.5 gal tank capacity, but the light always comes on at about 13.5gal.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Some cars....the Camaro for instance, have really deceptive fuel guages because the fuel tank is curved. Basically the needle will appear not to move at first, then suddenly you are at zero. This is because the tank curves towards the bottom, making the bottom hold less fuel than the top half. However the fuel guage measures fuel level...not true fuel quantity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Something must be wrong with my car since I just filled up this morning and put 16.75 gallons in my 07 M6 and never had a low fuel light come on...any ideas?

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
Thread resurrection of the day! :)

My guess is your low-fuel may not be working correctly. It SHOULD be activating when you have 2-2.5 gallons left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts