Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that my speed6 is hard to shift into gears sometimes? I notice it's the worst in cooler temps than in the summer, like after sitting in the sun for some time.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
cars are usually easier to shift once they warm up a bit...no mystery there. are you watching your rpm when you downshift...as in not trying to go to first gear over a certain speed or rpm?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I to have noticed that sometimes when I am downshifting it feels like something is jamming or getting caught up. Happens mostly when I am downshifting into 1st gear (which I don't do when going over 20 mph).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
if it's a 1st gear issue only, then just search and youll find a recent thread on it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
+1. Driving in cold environments makes it much harder to move the shifter into gear. During the summer I don't notice as it's a lot smoother.

Speculation: Is this because of cheap transmission fluid? Would this go away by replacing the stock fluid with something like Redline?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hummm....

Must be that some people are either A) not used to manuals... or B) got a funky speed6... cause personally I love mine...

I recently test-drove the new BMW 335i... twin-turbo.. bla bla bla.. I hated the "shifter" the linkage was loose and sloppy... Felt like I was gonna break it if I didn't granny shift the thing...

I love how the speed6 is tight... short... and doesn't leave room for bullshit! I've never ground the gears in my speed... I don't think its possible. It either goes into gear.. or it doesn't... Granted when racing it... i've had trouble getting into gear at times... but thats ONLY if i'm not double clutch shifting...

If you double clutch... you'll probably have no issues ever... Also... syncros could be off... all sorts of junk I don't know much about.... But I don't have any issues with mine... Try double clutching for a while... I think you'll notice it works a lot better...

·
Registered
358 Posts
The fluid will make a difference when shifting in terms of smoothness. I just changed my tranny fluid to Redline MT-90. You'll notice the difference right of the bat. It's not a super huge difference, but much better especially during cold mornings or when the car has been sitting for a while when it's cold outside.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The fluid will make a difference when shifting in terms of smoothness. I just changed my tranny fluid to Redline MT-90. You'll notice the difference right of the bat. It's not a super huge difference, but much better especially during cold mornings or when the car has been sitting for a while when it's cold outside.
[/b]
Is it complicated to change the transmission fluid like in the normal Mazda6? The other question I have is this, is there an optimal mileage you should change it out? Can I do it the week I get my speed6? Or should I wait?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah i just got home from driving a bit and sometimes the car shifts very smoothly into gear (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and other times, it feels rough. I keep the RPMs always around the same level and if I only shift between the first 3 gears for a bit, like in traffic, it becomes smoother. But once I bounce up to 4th and 5th, the low gears feel rough again.

While the temperature has something to do with it, the tranny does feels as if some thing's off.

it sucks because I don't know what to tell the dealer...the transmission feels off half the time???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah i just got home from driving a bit and sometimes the car shifts very smoothly into gear (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and other times, it feels rough. I keep the RPMs always around the same level and if I only shift between the first 3 gears for a bit, like in traffic, it becomes smoother. But once I bounce up to 4th and 5th, the low gears feel rough again.

While the temperature has something to do with it, the tranny does feels as if some thing's off.

it sucks because I don't know what to tell the dealer...the transmission feels off half the time???
[/b]
Just search for this in older posts. I have the same problem with mine. 14K and MT-90 in last week and it is better but not gone. Try shifting in low RPM's 1.5-2.5K before it gets worm. It helps with mine. I am still thinking about the dealer visit with this issue as they may pull a recall on me.

Edit: here is one for you
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=53324&hl=

·
Registered
829 Posts
Not the same, but I've experienced maybe 4 times in almost a year, where the clutch was all the way in, but I grinded like I didn't put the clutch in at all. It was very weird, happens like every 2/3 months.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had clunky shifting since 500 miles.. I've replaced my engine mount with cp-e's and swapped out the tranny fluid to mt-90. In warm weather both mods combined made it about 30% smoother shifting. In cold weather both mods combined helped about 15% smoother shifting. I'm still not happy with it at all. My buddies vdub with 160k miles shifts smoother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts