Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a used Mazda 6 car. It is from 2014, diesel, 129 kW automatic and has 140k km on its clock. Before I bought it, I took it to the Mazda auto repair shop where they did a visual check and error check. Everything was fine so I decided to buy the car. I will be driving 15-20k km annually so that was the reason I chose diesel.

I noticed that even if it is summer (16-20°C in the morning), I get the blue coolant light when starting it (first time only) and the engine goes to around 2k rpm for a short time. After starting the drive the coolant light turns of and everything is fine. Do you guys think this is normal behavior? I know it is the usual case in winter but it's a bit odd in summer.

After that I took the car to a Mazda repair shop to do a full service (since car was imported I didn't want to risk it). They changed: oil, all the filters, seal on the engine head (don't know the English name for it), injectors, ... They also checked for errors and battery level and it was fine.

Two days after that (today morning) I start the engine and again the blue coolant light is on but the engine really struggled to start. After approx. 3-5 seconds it started and from then it worked like a charm. This is the first time it happened and especially is weird since it was on service two days ago. They told me the most generic message how I should come to them again (and ofc pay). Do you people here have any advice of what could cause it and could this be "normal" behavior? Could it be since they changed oil and everything that this things can happen since it is pretty fresh? I never notice any issues while driving on highway.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,387 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

For some reason, the website made me approve your message before anyone else could see it.

Blue coolant light? You mean this guy?

If so, then you're perfectly fine. That light means the engine isn't up to operating temperature yet and is directly related to why your RPMs spike at startup. These cars, in order to pass emissions in many places, have been designed to startup with fairly high RPMs so they more quickly get up to proper temperature.

As long as it goes away after a few minutes of driving, you're good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks. :)

Yes that light. And I don't mind when it happens for a short time. But today it was the case that when I pressed the start button, the motor was really struggling for a few seconds before starting. That scared me a bit so I just wanted to see what you guys think here before giving money to the service. Since it was 18-20°C outside here it was weird to me.

·
Super Moderator
17,387 Posts
I'd keep an eye on it - while it's possible any number of things could have contributed to the weird startup, it's also likely it was a fluke. Oil changes shouldn't cause anything like this, but that's also why I do my own, so I know exactly what's going on.

If there weren't any check engine lights (CELs) and it hasn't done it since, I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts to happen again, come back and give us some more details and we can do our best to help.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have the diesel variant and I'm interested, please keep us posted.

As mentioned about the temperature and RPM, it is normal. It has always been like this on my car.

Last time when I didn't use the car for a month or two, it was the first time I heard the car cranking forever. I believe it was because of the battery.

Summer time in your place is great! 16-20 °C? That is already cold here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was driving home from work a few hours ago and it started normally as it should, so for now I treat it as a fluke. :)

They also played around with the PC at the service because they said they did some correction of fuel injection and reset of motor oil specification. So who knows, maybe they reset some parameters and it behaves like this for some time. Will watch it from now on.

Yeh it is around 18-20 when I go to work, but it's 6 AM when I leave. Later it gets to 30+. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Croatia ;)

and car was imported from Italy
I too have a 2014, 2.2 diesel. Love it. The blue light is normal as long as it goes out after a couple of minutes. As to the trouble starting, it depends on the symptoms. If the engine is cranking slowly for a second or two before it bursts into life, the problem may well be a dieing battery. (My original battery expired after five years). If the engine is turning over and over for a few seconds before it fires up, you need to take it to a high priest and have it exorcised! Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After opening this thread I have had no issues with starting for now it seems all good! :D

They gave me the printout of my battery and it seemed fine. There are a lot of variables on the chart I don't understand most of them but they would probably tell me if the battery was near death.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts