Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to see if anyone elses car does this. I tried dumping the clutch at 4k and there was a obnoxiously loud bang and then the car bogged before it took off. I have been experiementing with lauching since I went to the track last weekend and ran a 14.3. Would the cp-e engine mount reduce this. I have heard of people on here dumping the clutch instead of slipping and getting better times.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just wanted to see if anyone elses car does this.[/b]
Gotta love this post from a noob . .ruin your car and then try to convince random people to do the same thing to theirs. Do you work for a repair shop? Or maybe a parts manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Gotta love this post from a noob . .ruin your car and then try to convince random people to do the same thing to theirs. Do you work for a repair shop? Or maybe a parts manufacturer?
[/b]

so he isnt the smartest driver in the world, it happens.

as for dropping the clutch, never do it in a awd car, it just hs too much grip and the torque only has one place to go once the tires grip, back into the differentials, axles, tc, etc. these parts usually cant take that much abuse. riase the rpm to 4000 and slip the clutch a bit, once the car starts rolling let off the clutch fully and floor it. oh and turn of the dsc first.

·
Registered
315 Posts
so he isnt the smartest driver in the world, it happens.

as for dropping the clutch, never do it in a awd car, it just hs too much grip and the torque only has one place to go once the tires grip, back into the differentials, axles, tc, etc. these parts usually cant take that much abuse. riase the rpm to 4000 and slip the clutch a bit, once the car starts rolling let off the clutch fully and floor it. oh and turn of the dsc first.
[/b]

Exactly.

Done that way, yes you are wearing the clutch more, but remember clutches are ALOT less expensive to replace than driveshafts and diffs.

And YES turn off the dsc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/b]
I wouldnt call myself a noob(maybe to awd)but anyways, its been a while since I have seen one of our little trolls on here. How have you been?Have you got mommy and daddy to buy you a new car yet?

I have heard about numerous people dropping the clutch in this car, so for you guys to come off at me like that is pretty shitty. I tried it and was just posting to see what it is that I heard.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I wouldnt call myself a noob(maybe to awd)but anyways, its been a while since I have seen one of our little trolls on here. How have you been?Have you got mommy and daddy to buy you a new car yet?

I have heard about numerous people dropping the clutch in this car, so for you guys to come off at me like that is pretty shitty. I tried it and was just posting to see what it is that I heard.
[/b]
You can't dump the clutch on this car - you will get MASSIVE bog.

Rev to 4k+ then slip the clutch. Once you start moving, dump the clutch and floor it.

Pretty much the only way to "launch" the beast.

Have fun!

ps. lean back in the seat and put your head on the headrest - I've pulled over 1G on launch according to my Gtech

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
ive done a bunch of launches on the empty streets, and 5 at the dragstrip, but i still cant get a 60' time lower than 2.0. ive bogged it a twice at the track from letting out too quickly, but ive had some starts that felt amazing.

is the 1-2 shift included in the 60'? maybe thats where im blowing it. it's hard to beat the muscle memory of automatically coming completely off the gas before shifting.

i know the car is quick, it trapped over 101 with a 2.2 60, but i just need more advice and TONS more practice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean. The best I could do was a 14.3 @96 with a 2.1 60ft time and a r/t of .25(I have to learn the tree). I just asked about dumping because of the noise. I guess I may try launching at 4500k. And +1 about the practice. I have only had about 7 runs so far. It seems like I have had my best launches when my wife was in the car, not at the track. Also, I was powershifting. I doubted the people on here that said that it was faster not to powershift. Well, I have tried both on the street and I will be man enought to admit I was wrong, i think that it may be faster to just let off and shift fast. Im going next weekend and I hope I can get my first 13sec pass.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Practice is the key, i dont own a MS6, yet, but i do have an 02 wrx and i may have some help in here. I have about 15-20 runs at the strip with my car and the best way i found is to blip the throttle between 4k then to 5k then to 4k then when the 3rd yellow lite shines hammer the gas and slip the clutch. this has netted me a 1.9 60', but that is either with spinning tires or some bog. So i havent gotten it completely yet. I wish i would have video of when i had all 4 tires spinning at the line, oh well. Also dont go thru the staging water. I have intake, TBE, FMIC, and lightned pullies with out any engine management yet, probably wont becasue the car is going bye-bye in the spring. The best i have gotten is 13.6 @ 100 with that 1.9 60'. Hopefully this helps and next year i will have my own MS6 drag stories.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
ive done a bunch of launches on the empty streets, and 5 at the dragstrip, but i still cant get a 60' time lower than 2.0. ive bogged it a twice at the track from letting out too quickly, but ive had some starts that felt amazing.

is the 1-2 shift included in the 60'? maybe thats where im blowing it. it's hard to beat the muscle memory of automatically coming completely off the gas before shifting.

i know the car is quick, it trapped over 101 with a 2.2 60, but i just need more advice and TONS more practice.
[/b]

i hate you andy... your fist run, and traped 101.**..... I HATE you! lol......

are you going to the track this sunday?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I get my best launches when I rev up to 5000-5500. When I let out (not dump) the clutch, the revs drops to around 4500 and away we go. I don't have any data but this feels much faster to me than launching at 4000-4500.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Practice is the key, i dont own a MS6, yet, but i do have an 02 wrx and i may have some help in here. I have about 15-20 runs at the strip with my car and the best way i found is to blip the throttle between 4k then to 5k then to 4k then when the 3rd yellow lite shines hammer the gas and slip the clutch. this has netted me a 1.9 60', but that is either with spinning tires or some bog. So i havent gotten it completely yet. I wish i would have video of when i had all 4 tires spinning at the line, oh well. Also dont go thru the staging water. I have intake, TBE, FMIC, and lightned pullies with out any engine management yet, probably wont becasue the car is going bye-bye in the spring. The best i have gotten is 13.6 @ 100 with that 1.9 60'. Hopefully this helps and next year i will have my own MS6 drag stories.
[/b]
You know, that sounds like that it may work. Or at least allow you to slip out the clutch and floor it simultaneously(or however you spell it). I will try this technique next weekend too. 1.9 is still a pretty good 60ft time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You know, that sounds like that it may work. Or at least allow you to slip out the clutch and floor it simultaneously(or however you spell it). I will try this technique next weekend too. 1.9 is still a pretty good 60ft time.
[/b]
When flooring simultaneously, do you get to a point where the clutch starts slipping/rubbing and doesn't grab?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not to upset anyone who wants to spend some time on the track but I have absolutely no doubt that there will a lot of broken drivetrains while people "Learn" how to launch this AWD vehicle. The stress is enormous even when the launch well executed and my hope is the broken axles and mangled trannys do not give this car a bad name ( in the resale market) - I'm not yet convinced this AWD system will take the punishment. I guess we'll find out soon enough. 2 cents, nothin more...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not to upset anyone who wants to spend some time on the track but I have absolutely no doubt that there will a lot of broken drivetrains while people "Learn" how to launch this AWD vehicle. The stress is enormous even when the launch well executed and my hope is the broken axles and mangled trannys do not give this car a bad name ( in the resale market) - I'm not yet convinced this AWD system will take the punishment. I guess we'll find out soon enough. 2 cents, nothin more...
[/b]
This is an apsolute correct statement. The '02 wrx is "known" for glass trannies. :irate: My '02 is going strong because i dont do 7k clutch drops. Because of people doing dumb shit when it 1st came out the '02's tend to have that bad reputation, although i think untrue. Hopefully aren't doing the same thing with the MS6, and if so then they should drive something else. or dont drive like them.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
This is an apsolute correct statement. The '02 wrx is "known" for glass trannies. :irate: My '02 is going strong because i dont do 7k clutch drops. Because of people doing dumb shit when it 1st came out the '02's tend to have that bad reputation, although i think untrue. Hopefully aren't doing the same thing with the MS6, and if so then they should drive something else. or dont drive like them.
[/b]
its simple laws of pyhsics. there are not many awd cars that can take a 5000+ rpm launch, slip or drop. thats why i try not to launch hard. i love the car, and i love fast launches but i cant afford a new tranny and rear diff, just because i wanted to pull a 13.9 instead of a 14.3 come on seriously, thats just stupidty, sure everyone wants bragging rights, i personally would like a car that you launch easy, and once rolling then your on it full out. my last car was a saab turbo and thats the kind of car it is. you launch too high and your spinning through third, too low you bog. so you come off nice and easy and then get on it. and by the end of the 1/4 you still are faster, even with the 2.3 60ft. lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would not dump the cluch at 4k, guy on other forum thinks thats how he just broke his rear axle.
[/b]
And it should have been covered under warranty. If the rear axle breaks, Mazda will fix it because it's an obvious design flaw. Axles should not break under normal operating load of the engine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its simple laws of pyhsics. there are not many awd cars that can take a 5000+ rpm launch, slip or drop. thats why i try not to launch hard. i love the car, and i love fast launches but i cant afford a new tranny and rear diff, just because i wanted to pull a 13.9 instead of a 14.3 come on seriously, thats just stupidty, sure everyone wants bragging rights, i personally would like a car that you launch easy, and once rolling then your on it full out. my last car was a saab turbo and thats the kind of car it is. you launch too high and your spinning through third, too low you bog. so you come off nice and easy and then get on it. and by the end of the 1/4 you still are faster, even with the 2.3 60ft. lol
[/b]
well, everyone has an opinion. Personally, I bought the car to drive it hard, so I will drive it hard. I will not make the mistake of dropping the clutch on a launch, but 4500k launches seem to be about right.

·
Registered
305 Posts
And it should have been covered under warranty. If the rear axle breaks, Mazda will fix it because it's an obvious design flaw. Axles should not break under normal operating load of the engine.
[/b]
I agree - If Mazda is able to determine an "obvious" design flaw, they will cover it. If they don' t discover this "Flaw"..........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts