Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is unacceptable! Our salesman/dealer knows my wife and I-we've bought several new Mazda's from them. They know I work in the music business. We spent 90 minutes on Thursday just listening to CD's and the HD radios on Tech and non-Tech packaged models once she found the color she liked, before taking home a 2014 6- Touring for her. Not for one minute did I or should I think the glitch I had trying to hook up her iPhone at the dealer and now iPod classic here at home was not just the fact it's a freaking iPhone or Apple? How in 2013 that could even be an issue?? How do they expect anyone to listen to an audiobook when everytime you get a phone call or switch over to hear a traffic report on AM radio you lose your place? With the iPod you have to reboot the system and wait 5 minutes or more if at all for music to come on, and THEN it's back at the first song ?? I saw tears on my wife's face (she's a bigger music fan than I am, mostly because it's NOT her job) when I told her, and NOT the happy kind you expect to get when you spend almost $30k on them...

Seriously, they've got to do something...this seems to be borderline deception and an epic fail in what otherwise seems like a great car. I don't think we'll be able to forget this-the radio comes on before the seat belts for us, and I know this will be the last Mazda I buy out of principle if they do not address this issue and offer some kind of solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wanted to say that I have this same problem with my 2014 Mazda 6 Touring with Technology package (premium Bose audio), and it is certainly frustrating. Had I known of this issue prior to purchasing the vehicle, I would have definitely considered a different vehicle.

Not to rehash everything, but here are the symptoms that I am having with a 4th generation iPod touch (it's one generation behind currently). I only have about 700 songs loaded on the device, which consumes about 6 GB out of 16 GB total space.

1. With USB connectivity: Every time the vehicle starts, it takes an unusually long time before it finishes reading the iPod... about 60 seconds (others have reported longer times), and it always starts at the beginning of the first song (alphabetically) every time. This means I have to manually search through artists to find who I want to listen to every time I get in the vehicle (when driving because the searching is long... this is especially bad when you're only driving for a few minutes to/from a location). I haven't had any luck getting playlists to work via the Mazda interface for USB/iPod, either, except by manually starting them from the iPod itself. Shuffle does work fine with the USB, but please note that it still will not resume and you do have to re-seed the shuffle by disabling/re-enabling shuffle or else you'll end up hearing the same songs in the same order (this is how Apple designs it - the problem here is that the vehicle doesn't resume from where you were in the shuffle, which effectively breaks their one-pass 'randomizer' which guarantees all songs will play every pass when shuffling). The bottom line is that except for long road-trips, the USB input is pretty much unusable because of these problems (except for charging the device).

2. With Bluetooth Connectivity: Bluetooth connectivity works much better than the USB connectivity... it finds the device and starts playing music significantly faster than with USB... usually in about 20 seconds, and it resumes from where it left off (this is a must! ...though sometimes I have to manually press play once it finds the device to do so). The main problem with Bluetooth is that there are only a bare minimum of controls that work from the Mazda interface - the rest of them you'll have to go to the iPod for. You can't turn on/off shuffle, you can't use playlists, you can't browse artists/songs, etc/

EDIT: I thought you could turn these things on from the iPod, but you still can't shuffle (although I thought this was working yesterday). This makes it so that Bluetooth isn't very usable as an input source either.

EDIT 2: It looks like the secret might be that you have to shuffle your playlist and then start playing before playing through the car. I'm going to give this a try when I can (probably tomorrow, though).

3. With Auxiliary input: EDIT: I bought an Auxiliary cable today to test with. I noticed right away that the sound quality with AUX is much, much worse than USB or Bluetooth. It is very noticeable how much worse it sounds. Of course, it also doesn't display track information. Even if shuffle works with this, the sound quality degradation with AUX makes it really hard to accept.

The sound quality with USB and Bluetooth is really quite good, so it's a real shame the USB connection has those problems, and that you can't shuffle via Bluetooth (though that seems to be Apple's problem). To be fair, the salesmen/dealers likely aren't aware of this at all (none of them I talked to at the location I purchased mine at even had an iPod to test with)... but I do expect Mazda corporate to step up to the plate and see if they can fix this.

In case anyone from Mazda is reading this, I just wanted to note that these problems do not appear to be normal in the industry with other manufacturers, or even earlier Mazda vehicles from past years, and therefore the iPod functionality should be considered defective in 2014 Mazda 6 vehicles. I spoke with a customer service representative about a month ago and he said they are working on a fix, but I don't have any details on if or when that will be available.

Just for reference, here is another post about the same issue on a different forum, in in case they get more information there: Ipod Integration 2014 touring and GTinteresting observation!!

The only potential workaround I can think of involves Bluetooth, since starting at the first sound with USB makes that completely unusable. If you were to 'shuffle' the playlist, then manually add 0001 through #### to the start of the song name in the order of the shuffled playlist (or write a program to do that), you could achieve somewhat of a random playlist with Bluetooth. The only problem is you'd have to do this all over again to re-shuffle once you've played through everything (and it would look a little weird with the number before the title on the display). Still, it's better than nothing....?

·
Registered
4 Posts
iPod Touch 1st generation does, anything older than that would not. The problem with Bluetooth playback (on Apple's End) is that you CANNOT shuffle songs. It will shuffle to the first song, but will continue in whatever order the playlist is in after that.
You can actually turn on shuffle when using Bluetooth from the iPod itself (though not from the Mazda screen). Here is some information to understand how Apple's shuffle works: Why isn't iTunes shuffle random? - Ask Different

If you want to re-shuffle the playlist after it's shuffled, just turn off shuffle and then turn it on again. Apple does it this way to avoid duplicate songs in the shuffled playlist.

EDIT: I was wrong... you are absolutely right. Although I could have sworn this was working yesterday, I noticed today that it was not shuffling. It looks like as soon as Bluetooth is selected as the output mode on the iPod, it turns shuffle off and does not let you re-enable it. I probably only saw that the first song was different and thought it was working. Major bummer... :(

EDIT 2: It looks like the secret might be that you have to shuffle your playlist and then start playing before playing through the car. I'm going to give this a try when I can (probably tomorrow, though).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found this (by MagicMan83) in the other thread where this is discussed:

"So after some research about this, here is what i found out...

In order for Bluetooth playback in the car to function at its fullest, the phone or device needs to have AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) version 1.4...This would enable the shuffle, scan, repeat, text diaplay, etc etc...

Apparently iOS 5 on the iphone supported this but there was a problem with it not working in iOS6... so users who upgraded to iOS6 lost some Bluetooth playback functionality.

Whether APPLE is working on an update for this, I dont know. But in the meantime i found a temporary solution that will allow you to shuffle through your songs via BLUETOOTH (which you cant do by default).

1. Hook up your iphone with the AUX cable and select AUX on the unit.
2. Start playing a playlist and choose SHUFFLE
3. This will engage the ability to shuffle your songs but you are still hooked up via AUX
4. Unplug the AUX cable
5. Press the AIRPLAY icon on the iphone and switch it from HEADPHONE to MAZDA
6. For some reason shuffle stays active and you can now have your songs shuffle via Bluetooth using the unit

Its a little bit of set up, but once you got it, feel free to put your phone in your pocket and shuffle through your songs via Bluetooth! "

The whole thread is here

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6...present/260297-sound-nav-system-gripes-3.html

I believe there are more posts regarding this same issue, might be worth a read.

·
Registered
62 Posts
3. With Auxiliary input: EDIT: I bought an Auxiliary cable today to test with. I noticed right away that the sound quality with AUX is much, much worse than USB or Bluetooth. It is very noticeable how much worse it sounds. Of course, it also doesn't display track information. Even if shuffle works with this, the sound quality degradation with AUX makes it really hard to accept.
So i guess it's not the cable then because the sound quality is distinctively worse when music is played through AUX. And that too CD ripped 320kbps tracks played through my iRiver iHP-140 (known for having one of the best DACs).

Man....either they allow us a free exchange next year if they don't fix these issues in this car
or give us the new head-unit with fixed issues.

Either way, I can't drive a car like this for the next 5 years. If Mazda does nothing about it, the moment my car comes out of negative equity, I'm exchanging it.

I'm not spending 1825 days of dealing with this issue on a daily basis.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im hoping to discuss this more with Mazda soon. This really does need to be addressed. I just had a rental car (2012 toyota corolla s) for work last week and guess what I plugged in my ipod and it played instantly (no reading) and resumed playback with no issues.

Mazda has def gotta fix this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am hoping (but doubting) that this is a software issue that can be fixed with a flash or update to the current head unit. I have an engineer friend who speculates that the radio loads in the metadata the same way it loads in the navi-info, and thus is a design issue that would require a major rethink of the system. I'm holding out hope about a new Pioneer head unit (AVH-5500BHS) that might be a solution, as I saw a you tube video of one installed in a Mazda 6 dash in Russia. But in doing that research I see where it doesn't work with the latest iPhone yet, not sure if the steering wheel controls will work, and a reviewer on Crutchfield if i remember right said it took a long time to load HIS iPod nano info in. I read these radios were made by Johnson Controls, but I wonder if they may actually be Pioneer circuit based and thus the same problem with a different name on it???

My wife and I are off on a 500 mile trip starting tomorrow. A loaded iPhone, a loaded 160gig iPod classic with a Kokkia i10s bluetooth adapter I just bought (it works, but you have no on screen info, no shuffle from the radio controls, and it looks like you have to stop the car to switch Bluetooth sources...It also is supposed to suck the battery dry real fast, and it has no provision to charge it while in use, a smaller iPod with 1000 songs on it plugged into the USB so it won't take forever to reload every time we stop at an antiques shop (!)) , and a handful of USB Jump drives in different sizes loaded differently to do some tests. I'm riding shotgun-hopefully I won't have to take one to the dash of this car that I'm long past excited about owning... I should've looked at the VW cc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a somewhat related note, I'm using a USB flash drive instead of my iPod. Occasionally I hear cracking/popping sounds. Very irritating. If I turn the car off and reload the music, the popping stops. Any suggestions?

2014 Mazda 6 GT

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just sent Mazda Canada a stern email about this issue. That makes 4 times that Ive complained about this to them. Ive told the sales manager I bought from, The service manager, Ive called Mazda Canada, and now email. Next Im going to hand write a letter and tie it to a brick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love the generic response they've tailored for USB playback:

"it is performing just as it was designed to do". Translation: You may think it might be an issue, but it is performing as intended. So on our end, there is no issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In response to Mazda, the owner's manual has an entire chapter on the iPod integration. So this is a real problem, the radio does not work as it would be supposed. Since I made this remark to my dealer, they works very hard to find a solution. It will try to put a radio CX-5 2013 in my mazda6 GT 2014, or put the old ipod's module integration.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Let's just say I am more impressed with the little change compartment next to the steering wheel than I am with the whole infotainment system in my 6. It's absolute crap. The sound quality is horrid and this iPod integration simply does not work. I hooked up my iPod for the first time today and the screen is stuck on Reading Ipod. Waited for 30 min and nothing. I am thankful that I don't have the Nav or I probably would flip out. Love my 6 but the infotainment is way below the rest of the car's quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a new owner of a red iSport. I'm very disappointed with the system as well. I wish i had read this site first - I may have reconsidered or thought to have tested it out first.

Interestingly if you stick in an MP3 CD, it works they way we would want a memory stick or Ipod to work. It remembers where it was at. I only tried this because in the old days that was all I had. Also, with an MP3 CD it uses the old folder/file approach. Another interesting thing is it highlights the songs as it progresses - I don't think it does that thru the USB.

So I guess I'm going to go old school with MP3 CD's for around town, and will use the USB for long trips until they hopefully fix this. I'm also going to try out the bluetooth option, but it is sounding a bit limited on the forum.

Has anyone tried the aux plug? It is also not good. With the same player and cord in my wife's car it sounds better than the stereo. In my new car it has a distant sort of sound.

What if we all start leaving negative reviews on sites like Edmunds if they do nothing - it might get some attention if there is enough bad press. Something like great car - broken sound system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Recently purchased a silver Touring and I noticed the problems with the USB, but presumed I just needed to read the owner's manual to correct these issues. Surprised to say the least to find out it was the system and not me that was the problem. Fortunately, I only have a few hundred songs so scrolling is not intolerable and it only takes about 30 seconds to read my ipod.

My major gripe is the satellite radio issue. While it's not an option on the Touring, I've been told that the touch screen radio is satellite ready. Problem is neither Sirius nor Mazda can be bothered to give me a straight answer on this issue. A tuner is available for any radio that is "sirius-xm satellite ready" not to be confused with sirius sat. ready or xm sat. ready. This system fully integrates and plays through the touch screen.

Of Course, asking this question of Mazda gets a reply that the
touring does not come with Sat radio. Let me assure you I was very specific in my question but the drones couldn't be bothered to answer it. As for Sirius, their reply? If you have a question about an installation contact an installer. Thanks for nothing.

Compatible radios are supposed to be marked as Sirius-XM ready so I guess I'll have to go to an install shop and have them pull the radio and see. Also think that this system permits either sirius or xm service (hence the name).

I deal with corporate America on an almost daily basis and it never ceases to amaze me how absolutely clueless they seem to be when it comes to customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1st off let me say, Picked up my I6 Grande Touring on Saturday and so far I am loving the car.

I like music as much as the next person(maybe even more than some),,,So let me say 2 things

1st) I am using a Ipod touch, through a USB cord, I can control it through the Ipod tab on the touch screen. Load time for about 7 gigs of music is about 1 minute. And as much as the "always returns to 1st song (alphabetical) upon start is a major annoyance...There seems to be a fairly easy solution.

Immediately after finishing the Ipod "reading...Just use voice commands.

"Ipod"...all songs...shuffle"
for me...problem solved...

Point 2....It is unthinkable Mazda would not have a software update for this issue. They will update compatability for cell phones and bluetooth compatibility almost weekly, THIS is a software issue...any 1st grade software engineer will figure this out, and it will be part of a normal software update.

I had similar issues with my 2012 Sonata and Hyundai(yes Hyundai) fixed the problem via a software update about 3 weeks after I 1st least my Sonata.

You can't tell me Mazdas engineers are less capable than Hyundai engineers.

I assure you, walk into your dealership and say..."What?...you mean Hyundai engineers can fix this(insert, Toyota or Honda if you like...But most assuredly, say Hyundai, and it has a bigger impact)!

And I guarantee..if enough people throw "Hyundai has more capable software engineers than Mazda"...Some Mazda executive will jump off a bridge in Tokyo..

·
Registered
2 Posts
USB issues

The USB playback starting from the beginning song on the device every time the engine is started is very annoying and the loading is also slow. It should behave way MP3 CDs where the playback starts back up exactly where it left off when the engine was turned off. I encourage everyone to complain to Mazda about this issue, so they will put some priority on getting their software fixed. Complain to your dealer and also to Mazda USA directly at: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/sendFeedback.action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought my Mazda6 GT and am too disappointed about the USB and iPod playback function. It's the only and most annoying thing about the car. Would there be any chance for a class action for this kind of issue?! I did not know about the issue prior to purchasing the vehicle!

What's also very annoying is that the shuffle algorithm is horrible. You start a shuffle, and the next time you start your car, you may get the same ordered shuffle again!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I picked up my Mazda6 Touring last Friday. I have the same issues with using the USB flash drive and BT audio. It takes forever to load and it doesn't memorize where it left off. Even after a phone call, it will start the song over again. Like most people stated, I wish I tried the system out. To be honest, the whole stereo system is very buggy.

Anyone else have issues with Pandora and the skip limit? If I reach the skip limit, for some reason after an hour or even half the day, the skip limit does not reset.

I work at a Lexus dealership, so coming from a very refine system to this is a huge downgrade. But everything else about the car is fantastic!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just emailed Mazda about my complaint. I tried to voice as much concern as I can with the 1000 characters they give me:

"The Mazda6 is a GREAT car. I've never had so much confidence in spending more than $30k. However, there was one huge snag after I've purchased the car.. It's the sound system!

Because it doesn't memorize where it last played on a USB/iPod when turning off the engine, it starts all over at song 1 after taking a few seconds (in my opinion, it's too long) !! This is the MOST annoying thing when one of the most important factors to me is the car's audio controls.

I've seen much older cars from other manufactures that have handled this playback much more efficiently!! It's so broken and it can easily be fixed! I've seen Chevys where, when you take the USB flash drive out and plug it back in, it resumes playing from where it left off!

This is definite a horrible and sick feeling that have crept up on me after purchasing the car. I really hope you come up with a fix for this annoyance. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of very upset customers. We've paid too much for such crappy software."​

Their response:
"Thank you for contacting Mazda.

We are disappointed to read of your concern with the operation of the audio system’s USB mode. Unfortunately, your description of the concern with the USB mode is the normal operating condition of the audio system and there are no updates available at this time. Your concern will be documented with Mazda and it will become part of the corporate records. Mazda continuously researches the feedback that we receive from customers, dealership personal and monitor trends in order to identify areas where Mazda’s products can be improved. It is through this research that recalls, service campaigns, part improvements have been identified in the past.

We would recommend that you periodically check with the dealership service department for any updates related to your concern.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call at the number below."​

41 - 60 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.