Mazda 6 Forums banner
281 - 300 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I guess it's over. There is no chance of getting that update unless you get a new HUD installed or buy a 2016 Mazda 6 GT. Well, the 2014 Mazda 6 GT will be the last Mazda I will ever buy and I will no longer recommend a Mazda vehicle to anyone else so they don't have to deal with the fact that if there are any shortcomings in the vehicle, they will never be addressed. Even my wife notices all the annoying issues with my car's audio unit. She prefers her 2014 Civic's display unit. Faster, cleaner and just works well. Adios Mazda.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It makes no sense to me that someone would discredit a car that is the best in its class just for a piddly head unit. You will not find a car in in the same class that is half as reliable or gets better fuel economy.among other things like looks and driving experience and resale value.

If you are so dissatisfied with the audio unit go get a quality aftermarket one installed but to discredit a car for one thing like a audio unit is ridiculous and not even logical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I rate everything in this car between 8-10 out of a 10 except for the audio unit.

The fact of the matter is that when you're driving this car, you're spending every second of that inside it and the insides matter. If you're playing around with the nav and the screen and listening to music then those things matter.

Honestly Mazda should've just used one of these aftermarket 7" GPS navigation units and called it a day.

I would get one of the after market installed but then I'll lose functionality of the control knob, which I tend to use 70% of the time and is a necessity.

Unless they give me a $1500 credit towards my next Mazda to make up for the abysmal HUD, then I'll consider it and i can think of it as a way of making up for the fact they couldn't do anything in the current car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 SE-L Nav and have the same issues everyone else is having on this forum.
I've found a partial fix, which isn't perfect but has taken away a few of the issues previously discussed on here.
So my solution(ish) is to have all my music on my Android phone, link this via bluetooth to the entertainment system, but I've not allowed text downloads so as to speed up the initial connection when I turn the car on. I then run a free music player app called DoubleTwist which is clever enough to remember what song was last playing and whereabouts in the track it was too; I can get the artist name, track name and album up on the Mazda display and can use the steering controls to navigate through the tracks.
So no more inordinate waits for the USB to read (now takes no more than 20 seconds for bluetooth to kick in and start DoubleTwist), and it always picks up from the spot in the last track that I was listening to when I turned the car off; and I can see the track names; and I can control them using the sterring wheel controls; and the shuffle is truely random, unlike the usb shuffle which is anything but random.
It's not perfect as I can't have playlists (or to be more truthful, I haven't figured out how to have playlists yet), and it still takes about 20 seconds to start as the system syncs with my phone contacts - but it's certainly better than trying to play music through the usb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this...anyhow.

I recently got a 2014 Mazda 6, and I must agree with everyone else...the car is pretty sweet. Though I ran across a small problem. Every time I hook up my ipod to the car through the USB it says scanning ipod, or connecting to ipod, something along those lines. The problem is that it takes a really long time to connect, and to be honest I've had the car for a couple of days and I've seen it connect to my ipod only once (cause I got tired of waiting the rest of the times).
I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem? I want to know if it is the ipod, my car, or the actual Mazda software they are using.

Thanks in advance!
The Mazda 6 audio system absolutely sucks. Don't bother trying to make you iPod work.
Mine hasn't worked properly since I bought the car in February and now it doesn't work at all.
Nobody at the Mazda service center know how to fix it. I feel like I'm paying for something that I can't use and I wish I could return the car. Yes, even over the iPod issue, I would like to return it. I want my Altima back! By the way, Mazda blames Apple because of an upgrade problem and Apple blames Mazda because of it's audio system.
I believe in the latter.
This is the first Mazda that I've ever owned and it will be the LAST!
Good Luck.

G

·
The Mazda 6 audio system absolutely sucks. Don't bother trying to make you iPod work.
Mine hasn't worked properly since I bought the car in February and now it doesn't work at all.
Nobody at the Mazda service center know how to fix it. I feel like I'm paying for something that I can't use and I wish I could return the car. Yes, even over the iPod issue, I would like to return it. I want my Altima back! By the way, Mazda blames Apple because of an upgrade problem and Apple blames Mazda because of it's audio system.
I believe in the latter.
This is the first Mazda that I've ever owned and it will be the LAST!
Good Luck.
I have a 160Gig iPod Classic with around 9,200 songs on it. It does take around 3 to 5 minites for it to complete "reading" everytime I start the car up. I did have an issue when I first bought the car which required Mazda to replace the Blue Tooth module. It will work, not as you may like it to, but be patient. Also, the 1rst time you connect your iPod after syncing it to iTunes, it does take a while longer to complete "reading".

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all I would like to thank everyone that has posted their issues/attempted fixes on this forum as it has helped me solve my problem. Additionally in reading through I didn't see a great deal of clearly explained resolutions so I thought I would post my story in hope that it may help someone else.

I picked up my 2014 mazda6 GT turbo diesel in November. The entertainment system was a key thing to me as I spend a lot of time on the road and don't care much for the radio. Needless to say within an hour or so of picking up the car I was trying to work out what was wrong with the iPod functionality. Within hours I was trawling through the Internet and stumbled across this thread and wasn't happy to see that it wasn't my devices but the car.

To be clear, the devices I was using were:
iPod touch 32gb 4th gen running 6.1 iOS (latest possible on that model)
iPhone 5s, then switched to iPhone 6 in December running latest iOS.

The issues I was having was the same as everyone else.. iPod mode - slow start up (annoying but useable) forget all play information including song, playlist/album, etc when the car is restarted (completely unusable). Bluetooth mode - slow startup, broken shuffle, car would not recall which device was for audio/default to phone, etc.

My short term work around was to play songs from my iPhone in spotify through Bluetooth which fixed the shuffle, the long term fix was with this mystical new module that I heard about here.

Few things worth mentioning:
- had I not heard about the module here and asked for it I doubt I would have gotten this resolved.
- when I mentioned the issue at the dealer they said they checked and all was fine and that I should read the manual. When I quizzed further there was another guy that overheard who chimed in and knew what I was talking about.
- this guy was the only one of 6 that had any idea about this module
- he explained that it's dependant on your device and that the module will only work for a few specific models of phone and that a technical case would have to be raised. This technical case went no where and I only had it reopened after I complained in the new car survey they sent. Someone from Mazda Australia then called and ensured the case was opened and the module sent to my dealer with instructions to install.
- I believe the story about it only working for specific models to be false as I purposely mislead them by saying I was only using my iPod to which they said 'yes that will work, we only ask as if you had the new iPhone 6 it would not work'. My iPhone 6 now works perfectly. This seems to be an attempt to detract the fault from mazda's hands.

I had the new module installed last week and it is now working exactly as I would expect. When I start the car there is a short delay while the phone connects then the iPod kicks in almost straight away. It will resume playing the last song played from the point that you were up to while it loads the rest of the library in the background. You can skip songs immediately with no drama but it does take a minute or so (much less) time to load the whole library and have all other functionality. The only problem is that shuffle mode will be off when you restart the car, shuffle however works perfectly fine.

I was told that this module effectively disables grace note which is what was causing all of the troubles. I don't really use the voice controls much so I don't know exactly what's disabled however I'm not convinced that it's disabled rather just the priorities are reordered and some bugs are fixed on the alternate module. Overall I feel that grace note and 'iPod versions' are taking the blame to explain why there has not been a recall on what is clearly a faulty product. As these things go I doubt there will ever be a recall unless a critical mass of users make a formal complaint to justify the expense.

I'm sorry to say that I did not get a part number. It is however a replacement Bluetooth module which 'disables' grace note.

So end of the day I'm now once again a happy motorist, although this definitely took the excitement out what should have been a fantastic new car experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First of all I would like to thank everyone that has posted their issues/attempted fixes on this forum as it has helped me solve my problem. Additionally in reading through I didn't see a great deal of clearly explained resolutions so I thought I would post my story in hope that it may help someone else.

I picked up my 2014 mazda6 GT turbo diesel in November. The entertainment system was a key thing to me as I spend a lot of time on the road and don't care much for the radio. Needless to say within an hour or so of picking up the car I was trying to work out what was wrong with the iPod functionality. Within hours I was trawling through the Internet and stumbled across this thread and wasn't happy to see that it wasn't my devices but the car.

To be clear, the devices I was using were:
iPod touch 32gb 4th gen running 6.1 iOS (latest possible on that model)
iPhone 5s, then switched to iPhone 6 in December running latest iOS.

The issues I was having was the same as everyone else.. iPod mode - slow start up (annoying but useable) forget all play information including song, playlist/album, etc when the car is restarted (completely unusable). Bluetooth mode - slow startup, broken shuffle, car would not recall which device was for audio/default to phone, etc.

My short term work around was to play songs from my iPhone in spotify through Bluetooth which fixed the shuffle, the long term fix was with this mystical new module that I heard about here.

Few things worth mentioning:
- had I not heard about the module here and asked for it I doubt I would have gotten this resolved.
- when I mentioned the issue at the dealer they said they checked and all was fine and that I should read the manual. When I quizzed further there was another guy that overheard who chimed in and knew what I was talking about.
- this guy was the only one of 6 that had any idea about this module
- he explained that it's dependant on your device and that the module will only work for a few specific models of phone and that a technical case would have to be raised. This technical case went no where and I only had it reopened after I complained in the new car survey they sent. Someone from Mazda Australia then called and ensured the case was opened and the module sent to my dealer with instructions to install.
- I believe the story about it only working for specific models to be false as I purposely mislead them by saying I was only using my iPod to which they said 'yes that will work, we only ask as if you had the new iPhone 6 it would not work'. My iPhone 6 now works perfectly. This seems to be an attempt to detract the fault from mazda's hands.

I had the new module installed last week and it is now working exactly as I would expect. When I start the car there is a short delay while the phone connects then the iPod kicks in almost straight away. It will resume playing the last song played from the point that you were up to while it loads the rest of the library in the background. You can skip songs immediately with no drama but it does take a minute or so (much less) time to load the whole library and have all other functionality. The only problem is that shuffle mode will be off when you restart the car, shuffle however works perfectly fine.

I was told that this module effectively disables grace note which is what was causing all of the troubles. I don't really use the voice controls much so I don't know exactly what's disabled however I'm not convinced that it's disabled rather just the priorities are reordered and some bugs are fixed on the alternate module. Overall I feel that grace note and 'iPod versions' are taking the blame to explain why there has not been a recall on what is clearly a faulty product. As these things go I doubt there will ever be a recall unless a critical mass of users make a formal complaint to justify the expense.

I'm sorry to say that I did not get a part number. It is however a replacement Bluetooth module which 'disables' grace note.

So end of the day I'm now once again a happy motorist, although this definitely took the excitement out what should have been a fantastic new car experience.
G'day Rayjay, mate I have a little facebook page about Mazda's lies and ahve nearly 200 likes from all over the world. Your post is like music to thousands of people ears. Can you help us out with some more information.
Can you tell us which dealer, or can you get a part number. Can you tell us who at Mazda Oz you spoke too, did they say anything to you about it being still in testing. A lot of people want and need this, so you sir could be the start of something huge. :grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,
The dealer was Garry & Warren Smith in Mulgrave (Melbourne). There was no part number on the job sheet and I didn't get the name of the person from Mazda Aus. They had called me in response to the negative survey I filled in and at the time I felt I was going in circles.

If you like I will try and call the dealer in the morning and get some info on the part number. There was definitely no talk of testing - it was a known production part, but they were clear that they are to be incredibly reluctant to suggest the replacement part as a fix. When I pushed the issue as to how bad the system was there was no comment but a look that told me that I'm not the first to complain.

Definitely not a Mazda employee, was just lucky enough to get resolution and hope I can pay it forward as I was livid with my car at purchase - I couldn't believe a company could put out such a shoddy product. If it wasn't for others on this forum I would likely have just put up with the disappointment after the first guy at Mazda told me that it was what it was.

It may be worth adding that's it's been a month or so now and it's still working great. Twice I have had to unplug and re plug the iPod cos it froze however it always remembers where it was up to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey,
The dealer was Garry & Warren Smith in Mulgrave (Melbourne). There was no part number on the job sheet and I didn't get the name of the person from Mazda Aus. They had called me in response to the negative survey I filled in and at the time I felt I was going in circles.

If you like I will try and call the dealer in the morning and get some info on the part number. There was definitely no talk of testing - it was a known production part, but they were clear that they are to be incredibly reluctant to suggest the replacement part as a fix. When I pushed the issue as to how bad the system was there was no comment but a look that told me that I'm not the first to complain.

Definitely not a Mazda employee, was just lucky enough to get resolution and hope I can pay it forward as I was livid with my car at purchase - I couldn't believe a company could put out such a shoddy product. If it wasn't for others on this forum I would likely have just put up with the disappointment after the first guy at Mazda told me that it was what it was.

It may be worth adding that's it's been a month or so now and it's still working great. Twice I have had to unplug and re plug the iPod cos it froze however it always remembers where it was up to.
Thanks RayJay, believe it or not I was just trying to initiate a response. Sorry mate. Thanks for getting back to me. One of the lads on my facebook page has booked his car in and is going to ask for a part number shortly. That sounds good that it is still working well for you, so their may be some hope. I am just so frustrated with Mazda it's killing me inside. I had Mazda Australia call me, Troy is his name, a little while ago as I have had a previous version of this module put in our car, I rang him back 4 times and not once did he return my call even though he called me in the first place. :mad:
This is how bad Mazda is. A lad in the UK on my facebook page has had a dozen or more problems, both electrical and mechanical with his not even 1 year old Mazda 6. He has now found RUST!!! in his car. RUST!!! Mazda UK refuse to repair it under warranty and claim its from a stone chip. UNBELIEVABLE. I for one will never ever buy another Mazda and I do not recommend anyone that I know buy one either.
Thanks again mate, all the best
Simon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda 6 audio

Two days with my brand new Mazda 6 Sport - iPod usage is like a return to the dark ages. As someone who spends a lot of time in the car and listens to music constantly - I'm afraid my choice of vehicle is looking like a huge mistake! Obviously I can use the iPod to manually select playlist or tracks, which is a lot quicker, it's just not necessarily safe! Plus already suffering first track blues!! Mazda - it's a joke!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my new 2015 Mazda 6 Touring for about a week, and I'll be returning it next week unless the dealership can fix this audio issue.

For a car with a ~$25,000 MSRP, such pitiful iPod connectivity is inexcusable. There exist $30 iHome knockoffs in cheap hotel rooms with better compatibility. Listening to great music is important to me, and it is not unreasonable to expect a smooth experience from a car at this price point. In fact, in addition to a >3 minute "iPod reading" time EVERY single start, my car will play audio from one song/artist, display the song info for some other song/artist, NEITHER of which are from the song/artist I selected in the first place.

And even when I accept my fate and let the car play whatever music it mysteriously selects, I invariably get a horrendously loud screeching noise about 10 minutes into playback. I can pause and then unpause to continue normal playback, but the noise is startling and painful!

I'm waiting on a callback from the dealer now, but if there's no acceptable fix, I'm done. They will give me all of my money back and a loaner car until I can get over to the Toyota dealership and sign for a Prius.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
All, first-time poster here, but went to my dealership Saturday and had the new Bluetooth module (the one referenced above) installed. Here's what I've observed:

• When I plug my iPhone 6 in via USB, the song I was on last starts playing almost immediately (I'd say within 10 seconds or so).
  • While that song is playing, the remainder of my songs (and I have not quite 1,800 of them on my phone) buffer in.
  • I logged the buffering time, and it was about 1 minute, 15 seconds, give or take.

To me, this is a VAST improvement in iPhone functionality over what I had before. I hope this will help me enjoy using my iPhone much more, and much more often, now. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just called my local dealership to get the module replaced. Have my appointment set for May 2 so I will follow up once I get it replaced. My normal dealership made it difficult so i chose a new one that is actually closer to my home, and they made it super simple to schedule the appointment for the TSB.

281 - 300 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.