Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I picked up my Mazda6 Touring last Friday. I have the same issues with using the USB flash drive and BT audio. It takes forever to load and it doesn't memorize where it left off. Even after a phone call, it will start the song over again. Like most people stated, I wish I tried the system out. To be honest, the whole stereo system is very buggy.

Anyone else have issues with Pandora and the skip limit? If I reach the skip limit, for some reason after an hour or even half the day, the skip limit does not reset.

I work at a Lexus dealership, so coming from a very refine system to this is a huge downgrade. But everything else about the car is fantastic!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dear Mazda Corporate

While I find my 2014 Mazda6 gets me from point A to point B I didn't buy it just to get around. It appears that my dealership and quite possibly Mazda USA finds resolving the issues with the IPOD integration a somewhat daunting task. So I'm left with a less than satisfying feeling and guess I'll just visit the local Hyundai dealer for a trade in on a Sonata with a working IPOD integration music system. Hope that you find a solution before more customers post their experiences on facebook.
I'm assume you sent Mazda an email and came to tell us this?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Reading this thread makes me sad. I love love love my car and have had my 2014 touring for a month. I'm finding my own gripes with the audio system.

I have an Android phone, and while I understand that we're living in an iphone world (where everything is built to be mostly/only Apple product compatible), I'm still having problems that I think shouldn't be issues. While the phone will broadcast my Google Music over bt, and even display track info, that's all it'll do. I expected to connect to Slacker Radio and at least have it display the track info, but no dice... though I'm not sure if that's something that other cars will do anyway.

I thought that maybe connecting via USB would solve the issue (bt seems a little weak - or something, anyway - clearing the song info display occasionally and then reloading), but the navi screen doesn't even register anything being plugged in, keeping the USB tab greyed out.

I haven't even plugged in my ipod yet, but with it nearly full of music, I'm dreading doing it and anticipating waiting for-freakin'-ever for the music to load. I suppose I need to do it ASAP, though, so I can go ahead and send my huffy email to Mazda to add to their growing list of unhappy audiophiles.

Two words: womp womp. :(
To answer the Slacker and the data showing on the screen, it really depends on the app. I've driving many, many cars and anything besides the stock music player, google music and pandora will display the data on he car's audio screen. So some apps will work and some will not.

The USB port will not read any Android phones that does not support the UMS mode. With that being said, the USB tab will not light up. This will happen in pretty much 90% of all cars out on the road. It does love Apple tho.

I gave up on using the USB port for anything. It is too frustrating to wait for the system to catalog your entire music over and over again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ah, thanks for the heads up on the UMS mode thing... I found a fix but will need to re-root my phone first to give it a shot. (play store link)

I'm so used to my android phone and being able to make it do whatever I want - be it through sideloading, rooting, or something Tasker-based - that dealing with this archaic head unit is driving me bananas.
Way ahead of you on the UMS app. My S3 is root and I've tried the app. The car will recognize and the USB tab will show up but it will not load any of the Music that is stored on the phone. I've also tried this in a Lexus and it reads no files found.

I've heard the HTC phones should work since they have UMS support from the manufacture.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was reading a first drive review on Autoblog about the 2014 Mazda3. Look what has caught my attention, but they didn't really admit it for the Mazda6:

According to Mazda, after benchmarking the infotainment systems in many of its rival automakers, they didn't find a single one that they thought was very good. Some of them, in fact, were described as "terrifying" by Mazda's engineers. And so Mazda set about inventing its own infotainment system, with the most important guideline being that no technology should distract the driver visually, cognitively or by requiring difficult manual operation.
Source: 2014 Mazda3 Sedan [w/video] First Drive - Autoblog

In my mind if I translate this correctly: Oh s***, we screwed up for the Mazda6 and we need to make some changes.

I wonder if they even looked at other manufactures when they were doing the infotainment system for the Mazda6. They sure did drop the balls and they really need to fix this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, life (like people and especially electronics), they are not perfect. I've had not one problem with my AUX cable and using that cable with my custom made iPod. It plays my music with the clarity that I expect with no distortion and separates all sounds to each speaker properly; no different than if I was using the USB (that was taking 10+ minutes to load - LOL!). I'm just grateful something works, because if the AUX didn't work, then I'd be having some major issues if I was just subject to just using the USB. Other than that, I'm loving my Mazda6 and I'm grateful for making a wise purchase. Now if the Service Dept at Clearlake, TX Mazda (where I bought my car) was just as AMAZING as my car performs then I'd really enjoy the "Mazda Experience." They have been nothing short of a nightmare to work with - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! :huh: I hope that will change with time...
The thing is, the USB does work but does not function properly like other auto manufacturers. I wouldn't want a mono input aux. The same reason that we don't want the usb to start playing from the beginning. This is not acceptable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well then, you figure out how to fix this (mechanically), or get someone who does and market it, sell it and make some money on it. There's your solution! :D Either do that or head up a legal petition and have everyone here sign it and submit to corporate (like someone else mentioned here but NEVER did anything about it). If you're not going to do either one, then be quiet and deal with it! :eek:
That was the whole point of this thread. There is a petition out there and there is a link in this thread.

Why don't you read this whole thread before you make a smart comment. I already know what they need to fix. Mazda needs to implement it in their headunit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay, I just off the phone with the Tech Staff at Mazda (here in the States at their California Corporate Office). I told him everything that you mentioned.

He told me to go to my car and start up the stereo. He then told me to select the FM button on the screen. He then told me to quickly press the Power Button and the Seek Right Button at the same time. Now he emphasized to NOT hold them down, but to quickly press and release them at the same time. Then you should see a screen that says: FAILURE ANALYSIS (that's the "back door" to your stereo's operating system). On that same screen you'll see a number pad and to press the numbers: 38 then hit the Enter button.

This will give you the HF Soft Version (your current software). Mine says: 06.03.000 That is the most updated software on the system for the Mazda6, which is currently what I have. After your done with getting this info all you have to do is either press the same two buttons (as mentioned earlier) or just shut off the car and when you restart your car your stereo will start up normally as before.

He does not know of any physical "Module" that can or should be installed to remedy the current issue. So again, if you had a specific part installed PLEASE provide the name of that part and the specific model number so we can get this part for our car as well. Thank you… :)
Why don't you look at the other thread under the technical forum. The tsb number and part number is there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why don't you check your inbox? I gave you two links. I'm not going to do all the searching.

Please tell me you know where you pm/inbox is on this forum?

I wonder if our schools are feeding our kids information instead of having them do some research.

·
Registered
201 Posts
By the way, I went to that 80 PAGE LINK:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6...v-radio-head-unit-petition-s-w-update-80.html

That's insane that even after all this time (ever since Sept, 2013), there's STILL no real solution. Read the last two comments (Post #791 & #792 ), one guy's waited for a whole year for his "replacement" chip with the so-called updated software, and STILL nothing. The only solution is to install a High End system, and even with that there's still the issue of the back up camera not working or other important features that you want to use as every stereo packages are different from one another. So again, back to square one. I love my Mazda6, but definitely not liking the "Mazda Experience." Or maybe, that's the way the Mazda Experience is SUPPOSED to be… terrible... We'll see what Sysiler (Post #253 ) comes up with, when his "replacement head" module comes in. Whenever that happens...
And I was about to spoon feed you. Now you know how to use the search button that is on this forum. I don't have time to babysit you.

And can you not read? He is waiting for the new chip to be order. He DOES NOT have it install yet. Seems like my education is great. I know how to read a whole article.

Tell me where did he say it does not work.

Contacted Mazda here in England and have my car booked in Friday "to see if my vehicle actually requires the new upgraded module or not"!!!!

Honestly don't see the point in that as they now appear to be aware of the issue (finally!) but I have to go and sit in the dealers for an hour so they can check.

I'll then have to make a return visit once the module is ordered for them to fit it :rolleyes:
Had to do the same this week, it's all part of the warranty process - a hoop we have to go through - annoying but hopefully worth it.

For your info

My dealer in the UK quoted two to six weeks - the chip has to come from the Netherlands and Mazda are recycling the chips.

Your dealer orders the replacement part, when it arrives your car goes in and the dealer sends your old chip back.

Your chip gets flashed, they then send it out to the next part order - flashing is upgrading the firmware or software on the chip.

The lead time is all about chips coming in and how quickly they turn them around to become available.

I have waited nearly a year for the update, another 2 to 6 weeks is neither here nor there.

Would be great to know where my chip ends up in Europe - LOL.

I copy and paste both post, 791 and 792 for your entrainment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Post 764 and I'm sure you didn't find this a few page back.

I just received confirmation from three owners in Germany regarding the TSB. Translated by an anonymous E-Mail Source:

Technical Service Information

Reference Numberr: R056/14
Building group/block: T
Page 1 of 3
Publication Date: 07.29.2014
Change Date: ----
Replaces Reference Number: ----
Affected Models: Mazda6 (GJ), CX-5 (KE)
Affected Countries and Specifications: Europe
Pre-authorization needed: NO

Title:
Changed functions in combination with USB-connection
(only to be used when specifically asked by customer)

Description:
With the introduction of speech enabling the audio functions, some functions of the USB-connection have changed. After turning on the ignition:

BEFORE the modification:
1. The system reads the content of the USB device in order to activate the speech control, during this time playback is disabled (depending on the amount of audio files, this could take several minutes).
2. Playback of the connected device always starts at the first title (independent of where playback was at the time of turning off the ignition).

AFTER the modification:
1. Playback will start after approx. 30 seconds, reading of the remaining titles continues in the background
2. Playback will resume at the location it was stopped when the ignition was turned off

Reason
By introducing the speechcontrol the functions of the Bluetooth/Handsfree module changed, and the USB-connection is controlled by this module.

Changes in the serial(normal) production:
JMZGJ ****** *****
JMZKE ****** *****

Affected FIN Range & Date of Change:
from JMZGJ ***** 100001 - JMZGJ ****** *****
from JMZKE ***** 100001 - JMZKE ****** *****

Replacement part Information

Replacement part-Nr.
GHP9-66-DH0Z

Description
Bluetooth/Handsfreemodule

Number of parts