Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the high beams integrated with the low beams? I mean is the hi and low both contained in a single bulb. The reason why I am asking is that I would install a HID kit for the low beams.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Question about high beams'

No, they are different bulbs. Low beam are the outermost bulbs in the headlight assembly, while the high beam are the innermost ones.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Are the low/high beams together, ie, can you direct the low beam lower and focused and the high beams higher and diverged?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Can't tell, really. All I know is that low beam is far better than I expected, while high beam is "so and so".

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by bihus

Are the low/high beams together, ie, can you direct the low beam lower and focused and the high beams higher and diverged?[/b]
That's almost never the case. Aiming is almost always (if not always, by law) done on the entire headlight assembly and not individual projectors. That is, if you aim the low beams, you also aim the high beams in parallel.

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I'm not too sure about this when it comes to this headlight assembly, though, since the Xenons (if you have them) are automatically leveled each time you start your car. And that's only low beam. High beams aren't effected.

·
Registered
514 Posts

levelling, sure. But that's not the same as *aiming*.

Levelling is achieved with sensors in each axle... but a baselines is needed for any adjustment (as in any mechanical device, you need to tell the device what "zero" is). In the case of the xenon assy, you aim the aseembly first in un-levelled form (the projector is levelled inside the housing, separate from the housing aiming screws). That necessary step defines the zero point for the xenon assembly. Otherwise, if you have the entire beam off by 2 degrees vertically, the xenon will level two degrees off, but won't inherently know it's off.

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

As correct as your reasoning seems regarding the autoleveling, I think you may be wrong.

Autoleveling is using sensors to find the horizontal plane and adjusts accordingly. The horizontal plane is the same no matter how you adjust the housing of the entire headlight assembly.

The xenon is a device of its own and is mounted behind the headlight assembly and is not effected when you adjust the offset of those.

The idea with autoleveling is to correct for downloading of the rear or for weakened suspension. For this to function properly, what it does is to find the horizontal plane. The idea is to focus the main part of the light under that horizontal line so that it does not disturb meeting traffic.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I dunno if I buy that without evidence. I'll have to inspect an autolevelled HID equipped car to see for myself :D

-Alt

·
Registered
6 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

The idea with autoleveling is to correct for downloading of the rear or for weakened suspension. For this to function properly, what it does is to find the horizontal plane. The idea is to focus the main part of the light under that horizontal line so that it does not disturb meeting traffic.[/b]
I'm almost positve that the auto-leveling systems do not reference an absolute horizontal plane. The only purpose of the system is to correct for misalignment caused by compression of the rear suspension (3 additional passengers & luggage VS empty). The system does NOT level the beam as you drive up and down a hill. This would result in the lights being too high while driving down a hill and blinding oncoming cars. Not to mention a loss in lighting while driving up a steep grade. The true purpose of the system is to maintain the set angle of the beam relative to the road, regardless of the road level.

There is a sensor attached to the rear suspension that is used for the measurement, and I would assume there to be some sort of adjustment to set the zeropoint as mentioned above.

For all of the cost/complication of the leveling system, I must say I'm somewhat skeptical as to how much benfit it offers.

As for the original post, I belive the '6 uses the 4-lamp system(meaning the lows are always on) with a projector for the low beam. Good luck in your search. Out of curiosity, what do the HID aftermarket kits go for?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Your reasoning sounds logical. But we'll have to wait until someone who actually has ripped one apart steps in here and tells us exactly how it works...:D

An HID kit goes for some 600 bucks or so.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Found a late review on headlights made by german magazine autobild and Mazda's aren't independent. At least, nothing is referred. On the other hand, they say that Skoda Superb's high beams are independently aimed.
In that test, they say Mazda's low beam is good, even though it's too bright, causing some dazzling. The diffuse light also disturbes, and lhe little lenses bothers the incoming traffic. And they say the high beams are little better than the lows.
Here you have the link to the online version http://www.autobild.de/suche/artikel.php?a...5651b1bdb798e51
And in the picture attached you can find the final results. Oh, by the way, the winner was the VW Phaeton.
Marca das Luzes=Light's Brand
Alcance (m)=Range (m)
Distribuição=distribution
Médios=Low Beams
Máximos=High Beams
Auto encadeamento=Self Dazzling
Encadeamento=Dazzling of others
Acesso às luzes=access to the lights
If you want their considerations for any of the car, ask and I'll translate it (or try to :sarc ).
I can't upload the image with the results. All I get is an error. I'll try it later.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Since I can't upload it, I'm posting it as a link.

BTW, it's an AutoBild test, but published in a portuguese review.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts